DepartmentOptics for Thin films and Solid surfaces – Faculty of Science
Deadline 5 May 2021
Start date by agreement
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Researcher II
Workplace: Department of Physical Electronics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible prolongation for another year), non-academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: CZK 35 000 per month
Application Deadline: 05 05 2021
EU Researcher Profile : R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Physical Electronics at the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University provides courses and guarantees fundamental and applied research in the fields on plasma physics, plasma applications, and nanotechnology. It has a tradition of more than 50 years. The R&D Centre for Low-cost Plasma and Nanotechnology Surface Modifications CEPLANT was established in 2010 as part of the Department of Physical Electronics and was funded by the European Structural Funds and has been recognized by the European Union as a Key Enabling Technologies (KET's) centre.
The researcher is going to work in the Optics of thin films and solid surfaces research group, which is a part of CEPLANT centre at the Faculty of science of Masaryk University in Brno. In this group, the researchers deal with the optical properties of thin films systems and solid surfaces as well as with the optical characterization of such the systems. Examples of such the systems are films prepared by plasma-chemical technologies, magnetron sputtering or vacuum deposition. The main activities of the research group consist in developing new dispersion and structural models and their use in the optical characterization. The structural models include defects, such as the random roughness of boundaries, optical inhomogeneity of films, area non-uniformity in thickness, transition layers etc. The optical laboratory managed by this research group is equipped by spectrophotmeters and ellipsometers covering a wide spectral range from far infrared region to vacuum ultraviolet region.
- Formulation of new structural and dispersion models
- Implementation of these models in software
- Using of the developed dispersion and structural models in the optical characterization of thin films and surfaces
- Experimental work in the optical laboratory (measurement of spectral dependencies of reflectance, transmittance and ellipsometric quantities)
- To publish the research outputs
- To propose and develop new areas of research within the research group
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- Ph.D. in physics or physical engineering
- Experience with optical measurements and with processing of the measured data
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English
- Publication record in international journals with impact factor
- Knowledge of C/C++ and LaTeX
- The experience with the Linux environment is an advantage
- A strong motivation for research and to be able to contribute with creative ideas, be structured, ready to work independently as well as in a group, be prepared to collaborate with scientists from other research groups and/or universities, and be able to co-manage a group of students.
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. RNDr. Ivan Ohlídal, DrSc., email: firstname.lastname@example.org , telefon +420 54949 6244
- International workplace with a motivated team of researchers and students
- Access to modern deposition and analysis techniques
- Worldwide contacts with specialised measurement equipment
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Above-average wage (average wage in Czech Republic is 34 000, median wage is 29 000 CZK)
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
(for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo )
The application shall be submitted online by May 5th 2021 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers . Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here .
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page .
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Director Of The Recetox , Masaryk University, Czech, about 3 hours ago
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Director of the RECETOX Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech ...
Micro Processing Stable Optoelectronic Perovskite Thin Films, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 3 days ago
- Research outline Solution-processed all-inorganic CsPbI3 perovskite is increasingly being considered for applications well beyond photovoltaics, for example, as the active regions within thin fi...
Assistant Professor In Finance, Areas Of Corporate Finance Or Financial Markets, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, Europe, 15 days ago
DepartmentDepartment of Finance – Faculty of Economics and Administration Deadline 1 Oct 2021 Start date 1st December 2021 E-APPLICATION The Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Administration, M...
Researcher (# Of Pos: 2), Masaryk University - Faculty of Science, Czech, 14 days ago
Workplace: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic Type of Contract: temporary position with contract until 30 September 2024 (with...
Assistant Professor In Finance (Areas Of Corporate Finance Or Financial Markets) , Masaryk University, Czech, about 3 hours ago
The Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University, invites applications for the following position: Assistant Professor in Finance (areas of Corporate Finance or Financia...
Researcher, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, Europe, 11 days ago
DepartmentDepartment of Mathematics and Statistics – Faculty of Science Deadline 15 Jul 2021 Start date by agreement E-APPLICATION Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces a...