View All Vacancies
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Stevenage, England
Salary: £29,000 to £33,000 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 16 February 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Morrison Utility Services (MUS) and The School of Engineering and Built Environment at Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking to appoint a Research Associate in the broad area of health and wellbeing (e.g. stress, fatigue, depression). MUS is a leading utility services provider in the UK and Ireland with a turnover of circa £700 million (2018) and a workforce of 4,234 employees. The company was first founded in 1884 and today works in collaboration with utility asset owners in the water, gas and electricity sectors to help them repair, renew, refurbish and maintain their infrastructure.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funded by Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. For more information please go to: http://bcuadvantage.co.uk/funding/knowledge-transfer-partnerships
LOCATION AND REPORTING
- This Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate position will be based at Morrison Utility Services in Stevenage, England (MUS), who are a leading utility services provider.
- The Associate will work within the central Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) team at Morrison Utility Services’ head office and be supported by academics from BCU’s Engineering and Built Environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The associate will work on fostering a revolutionary cultural transition of collective ‘hive’ responsibility for health and well-being (H&WB) within the UK & Eire utility sector by optimising employee work-life balance using big data trends and multivariate analysis techniques to develop novel workplace innovations and initiatives.
The role requires the successful candidate to develop a revolutionary automated system that integrates big data from disparate databases to create an automated decision support tool that monitors and reports upon Health and wellbeing issues within MUS. This will involve working on optimisation algorithms and computational intelligence embedded within the system will enable MUS to
- optimise business processes
- create new procedural approaches to collecting, analysing and interpreting H&WB data
- develop H&WB benchmark criteria to support employees within the business.
- The associate will be expected to interact with some of the most senior people inside and outside of Morrison Utility Services (MUS), including major customers.
- The associate must also be adept at applying their knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible, with an ability to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
- The Associate must have the following key attributes to ensure the project’s successful completion.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum 2:1 undergraduate qualification in a built environment, computing or health (e.g. health and safety, nursing, medical) discipline - with preferably an MSc/PhD in a relevant subject area.
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas effectively, orally, graphically and in writing to articulate complicated matters between the academics and the company project team members
- Strong qualitative & quantitative analysis skills, preferably experience working with big data analysis packages such as Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), Neuro Solutions or bibliometric tools such as VOS Viewer
- Strong knowledge of H&WB and/or H&S, preferably in context of the utilities sector
- An ability to work to tight deadlines (with attention to detail) and maintain high standards of work
- An ability and aptitude to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team; and self-management and planning skills to make optimum use of time; and
- Strong leadership skills in successfully implementing and embedding new innovations within a company or organisation
- An ability to produce industry focused training and educational materials and resources;
- Experience of the graphical representation tools and techniques required to produce data flow diagrams that are used to elucidate upon organisational systems, procedures and processes;
- Awareness of performance metrics and benchmarking and how to implement such;
- Academic acumen to enable successful reporting through research publications in academic journals and marketing/training materials;
- A clean driving license and a willingness to travel to utility contracts throughout the UK; and
- Practical experience of working within the utilities industry.
On a personal note, the Associate should be enthusiastic, motivated, punctual, conscientious, trustworthy and a good team worker.
Company Terms and Conditions
25 days holiday in any calendar year plus UK national holidays.
Working hours Monday to Friday (typically 9-5pm with some flexibility to travel throughout the UK and overnight stays at various geographical locations)
The successful candidate will be based at: Morrison Utility Services, Abel Smith House, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, SG1 2ST .
To apply for this position, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Closing date for advert and applications is 16 February 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Data Scientist (28 Months Fixed Term) , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
Location: London (SW1H 9HP), England Salary: £45,000 to £55,000 per annum Closing Date: Sunday 27 September 2020 Interview Date: To be confirmed Reference: 072020-260 4net Technologies and The Sch...
Materials Engineer , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Evac+Chair International Ltd and Birmingham School of Architecture and Design at Birmingham City University (BCU) are seeking to appoint a highly qualified engineering graduate with an in-depth kn...
R200247 Production Engineering Manager (Ktp Associate), Aston University, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
View All Vacancies Aston Business School Location: Metal Assemblies Ltd, West Bromwich, B70 9DD Salary: £32,000 per annum plus a £4000 personal development training budget Contract Type: Fixed Ter...
Production Engineering Manager (Ktp Associate) , Aston University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Location: Metal Assemblies Ltd, West Bromwich, B70 9DD Contract Type: Fixed Term (24 months) Basis: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Friday 16 October 2020 Interview Date: To be confirme...
Senior Lecturer In Primary Education Send/Inclusion, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department Faculty of Education, Health and Wellbeing Salary £44,045 - £51,034 pa The Institute of Education has a clear vision and an emphasis on ‘maximising...
Ukvgb Senior Technician (12081 0920) , University of Warwick ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Full time (36.5 hours per week) Fixed term contract until 31 March 2021 with any subsequent extension dependent upon funding. Start date asap. We are looking for a Senior Technician to join the UK...