View All Vacancies
Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Stevenage, England
Salary: £29,000 to £33,000 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 16 February 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Morrison Utility Services (MUS) and The School of Engineering and Built Environment at Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking to appoint a Research Associate in the broad area of health and wellbeing (e.g. stress, fatigue, depression). MUS is a leading utility services provider in the UK and Ireland with a turnover of circa £700 million (2018) and a workforce of 4,234 employees. The company was first founded in 1884 and today works in collaboration with utility asset owners in the water, gas and electricity sectors to help them repair, renew, refurbish and maintain their infrastructure.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funded by Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. For more information please go to: http://bcuadvantage.co.uk/funding/knowledge-transfer-partnerships
LOCATION AND REPORTING
- This Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate position will be based at Morrison Utility Services in Stevenage, England (MUS), who are a leading utility services provider.
- The Associate will work within the central Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) team at Morrison Utility Services’ head office and be supported by academics from BCU’s Engineering and Built Environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The associate will work on fostering a revolutionary cultural transition of collective ‘hive’ responsibility for health and well-being (H&WB) within the UK & Eire utility sector by optimising employee work-life balance using big data trends and multivariate analysis techniques to develop novel workplace innovations and initiatives.
The role requires the successful candidate to develop a revolutionary automated system that integrates big data from disparate databases to create an automated decision support tool that monitors and reports upon Health and wellbeing issues within MUS. This will involve working on optimisation algorithms and computational intelligence embedded within the system will enable MUS to
- optimise business processes
- create new procedural approaches to collecting, analysing and interpreting H&WB data
- develop H&WB benchmark criteria to support employees within the business.
- The associate will be expected to interact with some of the most senior people inside and outside of Morrison Utility Services (MUS), including major customers.
- The associate must also be adept at applying their knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible, with an ability to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
- The Associate must have the following key attributes to ensure the project’s successful completion.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum 2:1 undergraduate qualification in a built environment, computing or health (e.g. health and safety, nursing, medical) discipline - with preferably an MSc/PhD in a relevant subject area.
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas effectively, orally, graphically and in writing to articulate complicated matters between the academics and the company project team members
- Strong qualitative & quantitative analysis skills, preferably experience working with big data analysis packages such as Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), Neuro Solutions or bibliometric tools such as VOS Viewer
- Strong knowledge of H&WB and/or H&S, preferably in context of the utilities sector
- An ability to work to tight deadlines (with attention to detail) and maintain high standards of work
- An ability and aptitude to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team; and self-management and planning skills to make optimum use of time; and
- Strong leadership skills in successfully implementing and embedding new innovations within a company or organisation
- An ability to produce industry focused training and educational materials and resources;
- Experience of the graphical representation tools and techniques required to produce data flow diagrams that are used to elucidate upon organisational systems, procedures and processes;
- Awareness of performance metrics and benchmarking and how to implement such;
- Academic acumen to enable successful reporting through research publications in academic journals and marketing/training materials;
- A clean driving license and a willingness to travel to utility contracts throughout the UK; and
- Practical experience of working within the utilities industry.
On a personal note, the Associate should be enthusiastic, motivated, punctual, conscientious, trustworthy and a good team worker.
Company Terms and Conditions
25 days holiday in any calendar year plus UK national holidays.
Working hours Monday to Friday (typically 9-5pm with some flexibility to travel throughout the UK and overnight stays at various geographical locations)
The successful candidate will be based at: Morrison Utility Services, Abel Smith House, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, SG1 2ST .
To apply for this position, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Closing date for advert and applications is 16 February 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
R190558 Ktp Support Coordinator, Aston University, United Kingdom, about 11 hours ago
View All Vacancies RKE - Business Engagement Location: Aston University Main Campus Salary: £26,715 to £31,866 per annum Grade: Grade 07 Contract Type: Continuing Basis: Full Time Closing Date: ...
Patient And Public Involvement And Engagement (Ppie) College Of Medical And Dental Sciences 95592 Grade 8, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement (PPIE) - College of Medical and Dental Sciences - 95592 - Grade 8 - (190006S7) Description Position Details College of Medical and Dental Sciences Uni...
Director Of Birmingham Global External Relations 48786 Grade 10, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Director of Birmingham Global - External Relations - 48786 - Grade 10 - (20000027) Description Director of Birmingham Global External Relations Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmi...
Research Technician School Of Chemical Engineering 95699 Band 400, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Research Technician - School of Chemical Engineering - 95699 - Band 400 - (2000005V) Description Research Technician - 95699 Position Details Area: School of Chemical Engineering in the College o...
Communications Manager 30100 Development And Alumni Relations Office (Daro) Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Communications Manager - 30100 - Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) - Grade 7 - (20000056) Description Position Details Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) Location: Unive...
Treasury Manager Finance Office 57430 Grade 9, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Treasury Manager - Finance Office - 57430 Grade 9 - (200000BI) Description Position Details Finance Office Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is...