Research Technician - Institute of Microbiology and Infection - 98406 - Band 400 - (210001W6)
Institute of Microbiology and Infection, College of Medical and Dental Sciences
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £20,488 to £21,868, with potential progression once in post to £26,603 a year
Fixed Term Contract for up to 24 months
Closing Date: 26 October 2021
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
This role is to carry out research developing antimicrobial surfaces and determining efficacy. The role will also provide support for the general microbiology work being carried out in the laboratory. The job will last for up to 24 months.
You will provide technical support for research activities as required, utilising your technical skills and a wide range of techniques. You will also be expected to ensure your working area is safe and support others in following health and safety instructions. You may need to operate out of normal working hours to accommodate research activity. In order to flexibly use resource you may be given the opportunity to work in different areas of the department or wider University.
The role holder will provide support to the project and Dr de Cogan's research group by using a variety of techniques to include, but not exclusively:
• Organic synthesis
• Microbiology techniques
• Material Science
• Surface coating
• Carry out techniques and experimental procedures as required by research staff, students and Principal Investigators, designed to contribute to a specific research project or projects.
• You will be expected to resolve problems in your area of expertise but also to recognise when problems need to be referred to more senior staff.
• You will need to maintain accurate records of all techniques and experimental procedures carried out, and of any other research activities you may be involved in, including results.
• Comply with any legislation relevant to the area of research/activity.
• Comply with the Standard Operating Procedures for the activity.
• Demonstrate techniques to other staff and/or students on the area of expertise as required.
• You will contribute to internal and external audit procedures and to regulatory inspections.
Health and Safety
• You will be expected to uphold compliance with all University and local Health & Safety policies, including risk assessments and manual handling, reporting any breaches or non-compliance to the relevant manager.
• You will be expected to manage the safe handling and disposal of all materials used in research laboratories, including hazardous materials.
• If required, assist or prepare risk assessments and keep these up to date.
• You will need to maintain all records as appropriate.
• Carry out regular maintenance processes as appropriate.
• You may be required to assist with PAT testing and calibration of equipment, and with updating equipment inventories.
• Maintain stocks of consumables and, if necessary, creating purchase order requisitions.
• Receipt and correct storage of consumables and chemical reagents.
• Ensure that the facilities are maintained in a clean, functional and safe condition, reporting any problems.
• Reporting any problems with equipment or services which cannot be resolved to the line manager as appropriate.
• Adopt a proactive attitude to assisting with and implementing carbon reduction and energy saving measures where practicable.
• Supports equality and values diversity, moderates own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
• Any other duties commensurate with the grade and skill base of the post holder.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• NVQ, BTEC/ONC at level three or equivalent level three qualification and specific relevant experience in an appropriate subject (Chemistry and Biology).
• GCSE level 2 (A*- C) or equivalent level 2 qualification in mathematics and English.
• Practical experience of relevant techniques described above and a working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice.
• Experience of working in a laboratory based teaching or research environment; or be able to demonstrate the capability to participate in research projects.
• Ability to organise and manage own workload after consultation with manager.
• Familiarity with the use of a wide range of general laboratory equipment e.g. balances, pH meters, autoclaves, glass washing machines, microscopes.
• Proactive approach to Health and Safety matters, together with the communication skills to interact with a range of people, including students.
• Ability to be flexible to meet deadlines.
• The post-holder will be fully familiar with the safe handling and storage of laboratory materials.
• Good IT skills, having a familiarity with both Windows and/or Apple Macintosh OS will be advantageous.
• Understands the importance of equality and diversity in the workplace.
• Ability to identify and respond to equality and diversity issues in line with relevant policies and procedures.
Further particulars can be found here: http://www.download.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/jd/MDSFPs.pdf
For informal inquiries please contact Dr Felicity De Cogan, email: F.DECOGAN@BHAM.AC.UK
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working
: Microbiology and Infection
: 11.10.2021, 7:00:00 PM
Grade (for job description): Band 400
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
: 26.10.2021, 6:59:00 PM
Fixed Term Contract End Date 31.08.2023
Head Of Sustainability , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Professional Services University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £51,799 to £60,022. With potential progression once in post to £78,265 a...
Senior Research Technician (Nanocomposites) , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
School of Metallurgy and Materials, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £2...
Senior Research Technician , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £23,699 to £25,458 with potential progression once in post to £29,471 a year Band 500 Full tim...
Research Technician , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
Institute of Microbiology and Infection, College of Medical and Dental Sciences University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £21,000 to £22...
Philanthropic Finance Officer , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,924 to £30,497, with potential progression once in post to £34,304 Grade 6 Full ...
Research Computing Infrastructure Architect , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Position Details IT Services University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £51,799 to £60,022. With potential progression once in post to £7...