DepartmentCentral European Institute of Technology
Deadline 31 Aug 2021
Start date During 2022
Central European Institute of Technology of the Masaryk University (CEITEC MU), Brno, Czech Republic
CEITEC MU is an independent university institute that was established in 2011 at Masaryk University as part of the scientific centre of excellence CEITEC. This young and dynamic life science research centre is committed to fulfilling its mission of improving quality of life and human health. CEITEC MU values its people and is proud of the state-of-the-art scientific equipment available in its modern core facilities. CEITEC MU significantly drives high quality basic research results in the Czech Republic and competes well also in comparison with international centres. CEITEC MU provides a supportive and stimulating environment, with many opportunities to discuss and develop ideas, as well as a culture of open communication and equal opportunities. The institute is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research award.
About this position
CEITEC MU employs more than 500 people from over 35 countries, who are working on more than 150 ongoing projects and publish more than 300 scientific publications per year. Our centre attracts top EU grants and has an annual budget of nearly 32 million euros and investments that exceed 6,6 million euros. Our researchers are pushing the boundaries of current knowledge in the areas of structural biology, molecular medicine, genomics and proteomics of plant systems, and neuroscience.
We are seeking to recruit a curiosity-driven research group leader, who is keen to establish an independent research group. Your research area should be aligned with the research infrastructure and core facilities at CEITEC. You will have the opportunity to develop your own research team and to design and implement your research strategy in line with the vision and strategic priorities of CEITEC. You will become a valued member of our CEITEC scientific community and work as an active scientist alongside 31 other research group leaders.
- be responsible for establishing research priorities and resource planning
- recruit, supervise and mentor members of your research group
- ensure the implementation of world-class standards of research
- align the research with the CEITEC infrastructure and core facilities
- lead the preparation for ISAB evaluation of your research group
- identify and pursue opportunities for further research grants
- work in collaboration with scientific partners to develop joint research projects
- interact with the international scientific community via conferences and special events
The tasks are not limited to the above, and a flexible approach and ability to adapt to evolving situations in a dynamic organization is required.
You have (necessary competencies)
- Demonstrated a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field
- Contributed through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge by developing a substantial body of work, innovation or application
- The ability to independently conduct research that advances the research agenda
- Published papers as a lead author in high impact journals, participated in workshops and conference
- Demonstrated critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas
- The ability to identify research problems and opportunities within your area of expertise
- The ability to identify appropriate research methodologies and approaches
- Commitment to your own professional development and ability to supervise early stage researchers and act as a mentor for others
- The ability to secure research funding / budgets / resources
- The ability to take ownership and manage your own career progression, identify and develop ways to improve your competitiveness
- Strong organisational skills and leadership competencies
- A motivated and collaborative mindset
You might also have (desirable competencies)
- An established reputation based on research excellence in your field
- The ability to recognise the value of your research work in the context of innovation potential
- The ability to take the lead in executing collaborative research projects in cooperation with colleagues and project partners and with relevant industry partners
- The ability to communicate with the wider scientific community and with the general public about your areas of expertise and its societal value
Why join us?
We are the Czech Republic´s flagship basic research institute in the area of life sciences. We are an international, progressive and interdisciplinary research institute with access to unique, state-of-the-art equipment that is hard to find within one organisation. Our modern building is located at the University Campus in Brno-Bohunice. Brno is a lively city surrounded by countryside and is a top destination for many educated expatriates working in the areas of science and technology. Brno is located in the heart of Europe, where Gregor Mendel once laid down the foundation of modern genetics.
We value our employees, and we support them from their very first day at CEITEC. We are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and offer highly collaborative, collegial and family friendly, international working environment with relocation assistance through our Welcome Office. We are offering attractive salary conditions, medical insurance, and plenty of benefits, such as 8 weeks of paid holiday, contribution to a pension scheme, flat-rate meal contribution, sports lessons directly at the campus, Multisport card, reduced prices for mobile operator tariffs, and special employee bank products.
CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research award .
What else you need to know
Application Deadline: 31/08/2021
Interviews: 09 - 10/2021
Expected Start Date: During 2022
Applications including a CV, list of publications, description of skills and experience related to the advertised position, 2-page outlook of future research interests, and contacts for at least three references should be sent via e-application (please see button above and below this ad).
Contact for informal inquiries about the position and CEITEC MU, or in the case of any difficulties filling out the e-application, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the recruitment process refer to CEITEC Recruitment Policy .
In justified cases, the job announcer can extend, interrupt or cancel the selection procedure.
Research Group Leader In Life Sciences, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, Europe, 10 days ago
Department: Central European Institute of Technology Deadline: 10 Sep 2021 Start date: During 2022 Central European Institute of Technology of the Masaryk University (CEITEC MU), Brno, Czech Repub...
Professor With A Specialization In Parasitology, Masaryk University - Faculty of Science, Czech, 27 days ago
Workplace: Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract (with possible extension), aca...
Professor With A Specialization In Parasitology , Masaryk University, Czech, about 4 hours ago
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Professor with a specialization in parasitology Workplace: Department of Botany and Zoology, Facul...
Assistant Professor Of The Department Of Neurology Of The Faculty Of Medicine Mu , Masaryk University, Czech, about 4 hours ago
The Dean of the Faculty of Medicine of Masaryk University appoints a selection procedure for the position Assistant Professor of the Department of Neurology of the Faculty of Medicine MU with shor...
Specialist (Instrumental Analysis Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry) , Masaryk University, Czech, about 4 hours ago
The Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the Specialist (instrumental analysis - chromatography/mass spectrometry) Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of ...
Researcher Data And Al Driven Smart City Applications (# Of Pos: 2), Masaryk University - Faculty of Science, Czech, 27 days ago
Workplace: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic Type of Contract: temporary position with contract until 30 September 2024 (with...