School of Molecular Sciences
- Enhance your research career and join a team of passionate and collaborative scientists led by ARC Laureate Fellow Professor Harvey Millar in the School of Molecular Sciences.
- Make an impact by making discoveries in recombinant protein expression by research and development to understand the molecular mechanisms influencing protein synthesis, protein degradation and its regulation in plant systems.
- Level B, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 3 years
- Base salary range: $105,043 - $124,301 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Millar Laboratory in the School of Molecular Sciences is researching protein dynamics in plant systems to make discoveries about transcriptional, translational and post-translational regulation that underpin protein abundance, protein function and protein degradation and how they relate to the energetic cost of protein dynamics in cellular function and use of cell resources.
The laboratory operates in a broader context of molecular life sciences of plants at The University of Western Australia and collaborates with international researchers in aligned areas and industry with interests in natural and recombinant protein production and abundance in model plants and crops. The laboratory has expertise and equipment to fuel cutting-edge research in genomics and proteomics.
About the opportunity
You will undertake innovative approaches involving the development of genetic constructs and strategies to express specific recombinant proteins in plant and other model systems and purify them to study their biological role and synthesis and degradation characteristics. Your work will contribute to wider projects in determining key determinants of steady state protein abundance in plants for both fundamental understanding of mechanisms and applied goals in plant protein production. You will also have the opportunity to co-supervise several PhD students conducting a range of aligned research projects.
You have keen interest in recombinant protein expression, function and its regulation and want to develop your career by making research breakthroughs in this field. You are a motivated team player and are willing to support and help others.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate :
- PhD in molecular biology, genetics or a related discipline
- Experience in molecular biology techniques required for cloning and gene construct design and development
- Experience in plant, yeast and/or E. coli transformation and analysis
- Experience in plant biology and undertaking plant-based experiments
- Experience in project management
- Strong computing and data management skills
- Evidence of a strong track record in high quality scientific publication and experience in preparing manuscripts for publication
- Evidence of good supervision of post graduate students
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Fellow - Recombinant Protein Expression - 514071.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria .
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday 16 April 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Harvey Millar at email@example.com
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Scientific Staff (Prae Doc) , University of Vienna, Austria, about 6 hours ago
Deutsch not authenticated Bitte warten / Please wait The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill ...
Computational Postdoctoral Position In The Design Of Synthetic Pathways And Regulatory Proteins, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 11 days ago
24 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Vrije Universiteit Brussel Department Structural Biology Brussels Research Field Biological sciences » Other Computer science » Other Researcher Pr...
Postdoctoral Position In Molecular Parasitology , Umeå University, Sweden, 1 day ago
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest higher education institutions with over 37 000 students and about 4 700 employees. The University offers a diversity of high-quality education and world-...
Assistant Research Fellow Biochemistry, University of Otago, New Zealand, about 3 hours ago
Assistant Research Fellow - Biochemistry-2300837 DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES About us/Mō mātou The Biochemistry Department is a large research and teaching department ...
Postdoctoral Position In Deep Learning For Structural Biology And Protein Design, EPFL, Switzerland, about 6 hours ago
EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than ...
Postdoc (F/M/D), Universitätsmedizin Göttingen, Germany, about 22 hours ago
The Institute for Molecular Biology, University Medical Center Göttingen opens a position as: Specialization: in Molecular Cell Biology Limitation: available for 3 years and further extension is a...