College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322. With potential progression once in post to £42,792 a year. As this vacancy has limited funding the maximum salary that can be offered is Grade 7, salary £36,914.
Full Time / Fixed Term Contract for up to 12 months
Closing date 17 September 2021
People are at the heart of what we are and do. We want to attract outstanding, inspirational, and talented people, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success. Working at the University of Birmingham gives you access to the best financial and physical resources, a beautiful campus, and an intellectually stimulating and diverse community. Our sector leading development programmes have made this a place where staff can thrive and recognition by Athena Swan, Stonewall, and the Race Equality Charter demonstrates our commitment to supporting talented people from all backgrounds.
We are seeking applications for a research fellow position to support all activities in Dr Ruchi Gupta’s group, and to specifically to develop systems for droplet levitation and manipulation in 3D by shaping of ultrasound waves. Successful delivery of such systems will have revolutionary impact on drug discovery, disease diagnosis, and industrial biotechnology.
Summary of role:
- To undertake research into ultrasonic levitation systems including their design, finite element modelling, construction, characterisation, integration with optical detection, and application under the supervision of Dr Ruchi Gupta.
- To support research within the group to solve problems, collaborate and innovate in scientific directions for the group.
- To produce regular written and oral reports and presentations; attend regular meetings; give regular presentations to the group and collaborators; write papers for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals, proof reading of papers and reports.
- To supervise research students, be responsible for installation and maintenance of equipment and training of personnel on equipment.
Summary of person specification:
- Completed a PhD (or be near to completion) in Engineering, or equivalent qualifications
- Significant experience in designing and building ultrasonic systems particularly, those for levitation of droplets and/or particles
- Some experience in modelling acoustic levitators using finite element modelling packages such as COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Experience in designing optical and electronics instrumentation, and analytical systems is highly desirable.
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and willingness to learn new techniques.
- Ability to keep up to date with new developments in the field.
For further information please contact Dr Ruchi Gupta, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0121 414 6119
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx Please quote Job Ref 98049 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
R210394 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Aston University, United Kingdom, about 11 hours ago
View All Vacancies Infrastructure & Sustainable Eng Location: Aston University Main Campus Salary: £34,304 to £36,382 per annum Grade: Grade 08 Contract Type: Fixed Term (36 months) Basis: Full T...
Research Fellow In Synthetic Organic Chemistry School Of Chemistry 98280 Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Research Fellow in Synthetic Organic Chemistry - School of Chemistry - 98280 - Grade 7 - (210001RJ) Description Position Details School of Chemistry in the College of Engineering and Physical Scie...
Research Fellow Cardiovascular Sciences 98391 Grade 7 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Research Fellow - Cardiovascular Sciences - 98391 - Grade 7 - (210001UW) Description Position Details Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, College of Medical and Dental Sciences Location: Univer...
Research Fellow Embodied Timing And Disability In Dj Practice Grade 7 98263, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Research Fellow - Embodied Timing and Disability in DJ Practice - Grade 7 - 98263 - (210001SX) Description Position Details School of Languages, Cultures, Art History and Music University of Birmi...
Research Associate Institute Of Metabolism And Systems Research 98508 Grade 6 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Research Associate - Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research - 98508 - Grade 6 - (2100020B) Description Position Details Centre for Systems Modelling & Quantitative Biomedicine, Institute of...
Research Associate Institute Of Metabolism And Systems Research 98506 Grade 6 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Research Associate - Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research - 98506 - Grade 6 - (2100020C) Description Position Details Centre for Systems Modelling & Quantitative Biomedicine, Institute of...