Research Fellow in Materials Chemistry - School of Chemistry - 96026 - Grade 7 - (200001VS)
RESEARCH FELLOW IN MATERIALS CHEMISTRY - 96026
Area: School of Chemistry in the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322 with potential progression once in post to £42,792 (Grade 7)
Duration: Fixed-term for up to 3 years
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Closing Date: 25 June 2020
To create and disseminate knowledge by undertaking original research in the synthesis and characterisation of novel magnetic metal-organic framework solids and nanosheets.
Summary of Role
• Work towards achieving the milestones and delivering the outputs of EPSRC New Investigator Award “A New Paradigm for Quantum Materials Discovery: S = 1/2 Kagomé Magnets in the Two-Dimensional Limit”
• Operate within the area of synthetic materials chemistry and work collaboratively with closely related disciplines, e.g. condensed matter physics, as well as industry and central research facilities partners
• Analyse, interpret and disseminate research findings
• Contribute to generating new research project directions and ideas
• Deliver and develop research objectives (conducting own and original research) of the project, with the mentorship of Dr Lucy Clark
• Contribute to writing beamtime proposals for access to central research facilities (e.g. Diamond Light Source and ISIS Neutron and Muon Source)
• Collect research data through a variety of research methods, including scientific experimentation, literature reviews, and research collaboration
• Analyse and interpret data
• Apply knowledge in a way that develops new intellectual understanding
• Disseminate research findings for publication (including drafting academic papers) and present research at national and international conferences
• Supervise students on research related work and guide PhD students where appropriate
• Contribute to developing new materials synthesis and characterisation techniques and methods to enable project outcomes
• Contribute to School research-related activities and research-related administration
• Contribute to enterprise, business development and public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University under the supervision of Dr Lucy Clark
• Provide guidance, as required, to support staff and any students who may be assisting with the research project
• Deal with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines related to the project
• First degree in chemistry, physics, materials science or a related discipline and a PhD (or be approaching the completion of) in solid-state, inorganic or supramolecular materials chemistry (PhD thesis should be submitted before starting post)
• High-level materials synthesis capability including one or more of the following: solvothermal synthesis, ceramic synthesis, single-crystal growth, materials exfoliation methods
• High-level materials characterisation capability including one or more of the following: crystal structure solution and refinement, X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, microscopy, light scattering, muon spectroscopy, magnetometry
• Ability to learn and develop new material synthesis and characterisation methodologies
• Ability to think creatively and critically and problem-solve
• Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly and engagingly
• Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
• Ability to contribute to broader management and administration processes in the research group of Dr Clark and the School of Chemistry
• Contribute to the planning and organising of the research project
• Co-ordinate own work with others to avoid conflict or duplication of effort
Informal enquiries can be made to Lucy Clark: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Birmingham is an equal opportunity and family-friendly employer, and the School of Chemistry welcomes flexible working to suit family or other commitments. The University has on-campus childcare facilities. The School of Chemistry holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award in recognition of its work in promoting women’s careers in STEM subjects in higher education.
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment
: Academic Non-clinical
: 24.05.2020, 7:00:00 PM
Grade (for job description): Grade 7
Salary (Pay Basis)
Research Fellow In Energy Storage , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Duration: Fixed-term for up to 3 years Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK We are seeking to recruit a Postdoctoral Research Fellow to work as part of a UKRI Future Leade...
Research And Innovation Graduate Supramolecular Polymers , University of Wolverhampton ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
£20,675 – £21,814 pa Temporary post until 30th September 2022 We seek a Research and Innovation Graduate to undertake research and innovation activities as part of the Science in Industry Researc...
Research Fellow (Bioinformatics) , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Duration: Fixed Term Contract for 3 years Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322. With potential progression once in post to £42,792 a year. We are looking t...
Research Fellow Biological Mass Spectrometry , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
As this vacancy has limited funding the maximum salary that can be offered is Grade 7.30, salary £33,797 Grade 7 Full Time/FTC for 3 years starting October 2020. People are at the heart of what we...
R&D Technologist In Sustainable Polymers Ktp Associate , Loughborough University ;, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Fixed-Term for 24 Months Project Description: To study the interactions between polyvinylalcohol (PVOH) and various surfaces, to: Enable efficient processing of PVOH. Create optimised adhesion of ...
Research Fellow (Grade 7) , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Full time FTC 3 years. Research Fellow (Grade 7) Applications are sought for a Research Fellow who has experience of conducting research in low and middle income countries to join the University o...