Cardiff School of Engineering
Please note that this job is open to Cardiff University staff only
Research Fellow in Machine Learning Applied to Energy Management
Cardiff School of Engineering
We are looking for a research active candidate in the field of Machine Learning applied to Energy Management to lead work within the EPSRC SemanticLCA project (Attenuating the Environmental Impact of our Buildings through Semantic-based Dynamic Life cycle Assessment) and contribute to the research record of the School through commitment to carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals.
This post is full time, available from 1 December 2020 and is fixed term until 30 November 2022.
Salary: £42,792 - £49,553 per annum (Grade 7)
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Prof Yacine Rezgui, email RezguiY@cardiff.ac.uk
For further details about working at Cardiff School of Engineering please contact Bev Jones Enginadmin@cardiff.ac.uk
Closing date: Monday, 24 August 2020
External applications are currently not being considered for this post. If the decision is made to open the post to external candidates, the strapline at the top will be removed and you will be given ample time to apply – please check back periodically for details.
The School of Engineering holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award that recognises good employment practice and a commitment to develop the careers of women working in science. Cardiff University is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share opportunities.
To lead work within the EPSRC SemanticLCA project (Attenuating the Environmental Impact of our Buildings through Semantic-based Dynamic Life cycle Assessment) and contribute to the research record of the School through commitment to carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same. Main duties and responsibilities involve:
• To independently develop research objectives within Artificial Intelligence (including deep learning, machine learning; optimisation, agent-based modelling and game theory) in the context of Life Cycle Assessment, projects or proposals for own or joint research including research funding acting as a PI as required, To develop research networks through regular national international conference/seminar presentations.;
• To generate and pursue independent and original research ideas in the field of research and support the initiation of new lines of research in related areas
• To disseminate research findings using appropriate and effective national and international publications, research seminars, meetings and conferences
• To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
• To supervise and develop other research staff within own research projects
• To provide guidance students in own specialist area, including supervising and assessing undergraduate projects
• To participate in School research activities
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
- Artificial Intelligence, Forecasting, Optimisation, Game theory.
- Multi-agent systems, applied to the Energy Domain.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 10118BR.
Academic - Research
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
The School of Engineering, Cardiff University seeks to recruit a research associate to work in the High Voltage research group to conduct research within the area of distribution network fault ana...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
This post offers an exciting opportunity to work across the Schools of Engineering and Healthcare Sciences and with key leaders in Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Devices, Cardiff and Val...
Research Associate In Synthetic Organic (Radio)Chemistry, Cardiff University, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
<p><strong>Research Associate in Synthetic Organic (Radio)Chemistry</strong></p> <p><strong>Salary: £33,797 - £40,322 per annum (Grade 6). It is not anticipated that an appointment be made above</...
Research Associate In Organic And Biocatalytic Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a biocatalysis project. The 22-month project, funded by the Biotechnology...
Research Associate In Synthetic Organic (Radio)Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a synthetic organic (radio)chemistry project. The 3-year project, funded ...
Research Fellow , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
Cardiff University School of Healthcare Sciences is seeking to appoint an ambitious and well organised Research Fellow who will work directly with Velindre University NHS Trust, to pursue excellen...