School of Healthcare Sciences
Cardiff University School of Healthcare Sciences is seeking to appoint an ambitious and well organised Research Fellow who will work directly with Velindre University NHS Trust, to pursue excellence in applied cancer care research and inspire others to do the same.
The Velindre Research Fellow will receive professorial mentorship to strengthen their personal profile of research, publication and collaboration. This will include the opportunity to manage a research project, taking responsibility for the research idea, design, delivery, reporting and dissemination. The project is expected to be about cancer care in vulnerable people with the potential to inform an improvement or innovation in cancer care.
Cardiff University is one of the UK's leading research universities. The School of Healthcare Sciences, Cardiff University is committed to the development of impactful healthcare knowledge that directly improves health outcomes and healthcare for patients and families.
We are working in partnership with Velindre University NHS Hospital Trust to develop research capacity in cancer nurses and allied healthcare professionals building on existing strength. The successful applicant will work closely with and be directly responsible to Jane Hopkinson, Velindre Professor of Nursing and Interdisciplinary Cancer Care, lead for the All Wales Cancer Nurse and Allied Health Professional Research Network, and lead for the Healthcare Sciences Cancer Research Group. They will work with people who have a cancer diagnosis, both as research partners and as research participants. Experience of working with people with cancer would be an advantage.
Informal enquiries about the post may be directed to Professor Jane Hopkinson (HopkinsonJB@cardiff.ac.uk )
The post is part-time (28 hours) and is fixed-term until 30 September 2023
Salary: £42,792 - £49,553 per annum, pro-rata for hours worked (Grade 7)
Date advert posted: Wednesday, 25 November 2020
Closing date: Sunday, 3 January 2021
This post has previously been advertised to employees of Cardiff University only. We now invite external applications.
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To independently develop research objectives and undertake research within the context of cancer treatment and care, to include seeking research funding for own or joint research and acting as a PI as required.
- To generate and pursue independent and original research ideas in the field of research and support the initiation of new lines of research in related areas
- To disseminate research findings using appropriate and effective national and international publications, research seminars, meetings and conferences
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
- To supervise and develop other research staff within own and related research projects
- To provide guidance to students in own specialist area, including supervising postgraduate projects
- To participate in School administration and research activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and Velindre University NHS Hospital Trust research strategies, including enhancement of their regional and national profile.
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities.
- To support senior colleagues in resolving issues and devising procedures required to ensure accurate and timely formal reporting and financial control.
- To engage with the annual appraisal process and undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To abide by legal and regulatory requirements in respect of equality and diversity, health and safety, data protection, copyright and licensing, security, financial and other University policies, procedures and codes as appropriate.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
NOTE: It is the School's policy to use the person specification as a key tool for short-listing. Candidates should evidence that they meet the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable. As part of the application process candidates must provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting your supporting statement/attaching it to your application, that you refer to the vacancy number e.g. yourname_supporting information_10275BR. If candidates do not provide written evidence of meeting all of the essential criteria then their application may not be progressed.
Academic - Research
Research Assistant , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
We are pleased to offer the position for a part-time Research Assistant, supporting the project entitled "exploiting oncolytic bacteria for early detection of solid tumours", funded by Cancer Rese...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
We are seeking to appoint an individual with proven expertise in machine learning, wearable technology, and movement analysis to deliver an ACCELERATE supported project. The goal of the project is...
Research Assistant, Data Management, Schools Health Research Network , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is recruiting a Research Assistant, Data Management, to work within the Schools Health Research Network (SHRN) within the Development and Evaluation of...
Research Associate, School Health Research Network, Decip Her , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is looking to recruit a Research Associate to work within the School Health Research Network (SHRN) that is part of the Development and Evaluation of C...
Research Associate Physical Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a physical chemistry project. The 3-year project, funded by the Leverhulm...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Research Associate – CS Connected We are recruiting one or more enthusiastic, highly-motivated team-players with proven research and technical knowledge in the area of III-V Compound Semiconductor...