Research Associate in Visual Neuroscience
School of Optometry & Vision Sciences
The Cardiff School of Optometry & Vision Sciences is looking to appoint a Research Associate to work for 12 months on a project entitled ‘Novel therapeutic interventions in mitochondrial optic neuropathy’. The project will involve extensive cellular and molecular investigation of therapeutic interventions using in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo methodologies. The work will lead to the publication of an article in a high impact journal and seeks to inform the development of novel therapies. The successful candidate will evaluate the results using the appropriate statistical and qualitative methods and draft an article for publication.
You will work on a National Eye Research Centre funded project, to direct and conduct research into the treatment of mitochondrial eye disease; and you will be part of a multi-disciplinary group with an international reputation for studies of the role of mitochondrial pro-fusion protein, Opa1, in retinal ganglion cell disease and novel therapeutic interventions.
The vacancy is full time at 35 hours per week and is fixed term for 1 year, until 31st January 2021. Expected to commence on 1st February 2020.
Salary: £33,797 - £40,322 per annum (Grade 6)
Interviews expected week commencing 4th November 2019
Date advert posted: Wednesday, 20 November 2019
Closing date: Saturday, 7 December 2019
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
To conduct research within cell and molecular biology on novel therapeutic interventions in mitochondrial optic neuropathy, and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University, carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To conduct research on novel therapeutic interventions in mitochondrial optic neuropathy, and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
- To participate in School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The UK Dementia Research Institute (UK DRI) is a £290 million investment into dementia research funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), alongside founding charity partners, the Alzheimer’s S...
Research Associate (Cardiff), UK Dementia Research Institute, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Dementia is the biggest health challenge of our century. To date there is no way to prevent it or even slow its progression, and there is an urgent need to fill the knowledge gap in our basic unde...
Research Associate In Statistical Genetics , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The School of Optometry & Vision Sciences at Cardiff University is seeking applications for the position of Research Associate (Grade 6) for a project funded by the Fight for Sight charity ent...
Research Assistant , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
The School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Centre for Human Developmental Science (CUCHDS) are seeking to appoint a highly motivated Research Assistant to contribute to research within a specia...
Research Assistant Wales Centre For Public Policy , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
This post offers a unique opportunity for an outstanding graduate to obtain first-hand experience of policy relevant research, working closely with leading academics, senior policymakers and publi...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual for a position at Cardiff University Centre for Human Developmental Science (CUCHDS). The successful candidate will join a collaborative research team to ...