Research Associate (ECSCRI) – Stem Cell Biology
European Cancer Stem Cell Research Institute
Cardiff School of Biosciences
The research group of Dr. Fernando Anjos-Afonso invites applications for a Post-doc position in Haematopoietic Stem Cell Biology. The position is offered for a period of 3 years (funded by BBSRC; from 1st September 2019 -31st August 2022). The position is available to study normal human haemopoietic stem cells in particular to dissect the cellular and molecular features of a newly identified stem cell population
For more information about the post, please contact Dr Fernando Dos Anjos Afonson via email: DosAnjosAfonsoF@cardiff.ac.uk
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated and creative scientist holding a degree in Biology or Biochemistry or Cell and Molecular Biology or Medicine and a Postgraduate degree at PhD level (or nearing completion / submission) in stem cell biology and/or normal/malignant haematopoiesis and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within 3 of the following research fields: Stem cell biology in particular haematopoiesis, Malignant haematopoiesis, In depth molecular biology techniques (RNA-seq; epigenetics related methods; shRNA technology; lentivirus; CRISPR technology), Experience in animal work (e.g. transplantation and others) or Advanced experience in flow cytometry.
This is a full time position, fixed term from 1st September 2019 until 31st August 2022.
Candidates will need to be available to take up employment from January 2020, or earlier if possible.
Salary: £33,199 - £39,609 (Grade 6). Please note that it is not expected that we will appoint above grade 6.30, currently £33,199 per annum.
Date advert posted: Friday, 2 August 2019
Closing date: Monday, 2 September 2019
In Higher Education, female and BME (black and minority ethnic) staff are underrepresented across a number of career paths. Applications are therefore particularly welcome from applicants who identify as female and/or BME. We also welcome applications from members of the LGBT+ Community. Cardiff University is also committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world.
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
To contribute to research within human normal haemopoietic stem cell and/or myeloid malignancy biology in particular to dissect the cellular and molecular features of a newly identified stem cell population and/or its roles in myeloid malignancies respectively. You will be responsible for carrying the development of project(s) that will lead to the publishing of research in high-quality journals
- To conduct research within normal blood stem cell and myeloid neoplasm biology and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including publishing in international journals and (when requested) participating in bidding for funding
- To generate research output and contribute to the development of independent and original ideas as appropriate and to maintain and update area of specialist knowledge, researching and critically appraising relevant literature within the area.
- To provide support in research activities for undergraduate courses and research programmes and provide guidance to other members of staff within the research team and supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
- To participate in School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Important note: It is the University’s policy to use the person specification as a key tool for short-listing. Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable. As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure that the evidence you are providing corresponds with the numbered criteria outlined below. Your application will be considered based on the information you provide under each element.
When attaching the supporting statement to your application profile, please ensure that you name it with the vacancy reference number.
Qualifications and Education
11. Home Office Personal License (PIL) holder.
Cardiff University has been ranked among the top 5 HEI in the UK in the REF 2014. The ECSCRI has a young vibrant interdisciplinary environment with a high collaborative philosophy. The ECSCRI is located in the same building, and shares communal equipment with the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, and the Neurosciences and Mental Health Research Institute. The PI’s group has access to state-of-the-art confocal and multiphoton microscopes for live-cell imaging, tissue culture, qPCR and molecular biology equipment, C1 Fluidigm, and flow cytometry analysers and cell sorter (LSR Fortessa, Imagestream, FACSAria Fusion) facilities. WalesGene Park houses state-of-the-art equipment for next-generation sequencing, including Illumina MiSeq and HiSeq instruments, and provides bioinformatics and statistics support, as well as a core facility and expertise for CRISPR gene editing
Research Associate In Local Multi Energy Networks , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
The Centre for Integrated Renewable Energy Generation and Supply (CIREGS), one of the research groups within Cardiff School of Engineering, is seeking to recruit a Research Associate for an exciti...
Ga Nfor Cs Research Associate Characterisation , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
This role involves conducting research within the industry led GaNforCS (Gallium Nitride for Communications and Security) consortium with the overall aim of developing a UK supply chain for Galliu...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
We are seeking to recruit a bright and motivated Postdoctoral Researcher for an exciting new project studying how curiosity and motivation in video games affect learning and memory. The project is...
Research Fellow, Wiserd , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is looking to appoint a Research Fellow to work within the Wales, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods Research Centre (WISERD) ...
Research Associate In Photonic Topological Insulator Modelling , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research position funded by the Rising Star fellowship program at Cardiff University. The role will develop theoretical models for optical properties of...
Senior Research Assistant In Materials Chemistry And Catalysis U011303, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
A postdoctoral research associate position, funded by the Leverhulme Trust for a period of up to 36 months, is available within the group of Dr Andy Graham at the University of South Wales, UK. Th...