Research Associate, DAIS
Cardiff University School of Computer Science & Informatics
Applications are invited for two Research Associate posts to work on the DAIS project, based in Cardiff University’s School of Computer Science & Informatics. These posts are available immediately, full time, and fixed term until 14 September 2021.
The role holders will be conducting research within deep machine learning applied to real-time situational understanding and contribute to the overall research performance of the URI, school and University. The successful candidates' research will lead to the publishing of work in a variety of journals and conferences, and inspire others to do the same.
DAIS ITA is project, led by IBM and other leading universities in the UK & US, and major international businesses (i.e. Airbus Group, BAE Systems). The DAIS ITA research at Cardiff is led by Professor Alun Preece, Co-Director of the Crime and Security Research Institute, together with Professor Roger Whitaker and Dr Ian Taylor from the School of Computer Science and Informatics.
For more information on the project, please visit: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/crime-security-research-institute/publications/research-briefings/ita-dais
For an informal discussion of the role the please contact Alun Preece on +44 29208 74653, or by email at PreeceAD@cardiff.ac.uk.
For an informal discussion about flexible working, work-life balance or other HR matters - please contact Charlie Balcombe on +44(0)29 208 75490 , or by email at BalcombeC@cardiff.ac.uk.
The posts are full time, fixed term until 14th September 2021.
Salary: £33,797 - £40,322 per annum (Grade 6)
Date advert posted: Friday, 13 November 2020
Closing date: Monday, 14 December 2020
This post has previously been advertised to employees of Cardiff University only. We now invite external applications.
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting all its employees in achieving the necessary balance between their work and their personal lives. As part of this commitment, the University has developed a flexible and responsive framework of support for staff in managing their work and personal commitments wherever possible. [Applications for posts on a part-time or job-share arrangement would also be considered].
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity. Our inclusive environment welcomes applications from talented people from diverse backgrounds. Cardiff University positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To conduct research within deep machine learning applied to real-time situational understanding and contribute to the overall research performance of the URI, School and University, carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals and conferences. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To conduct research within deep machine learning applied to real-time situational understanding and contribute to the overall research performance of the URI, School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and supporting the supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
- To participate in URI and School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects.
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the URI and School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the URI and School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Important: evidencing you match the job criteria
It is Cardiff University's policy to use the person specification as a key tool for shortlisting. Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the Essential Criteria as well as, where relevant, the Desirable.
As part of the application process you are asked to provide this evidence via a Supporting Statement. Please ensure that the evidence you are providing corresponds with the numbered criteria outlined below. Your application will be considered based on the information you provide under each criteria.
When attaching the supporting statement to your application profile, please ensure that you name it with the vacancy reference number: XXXXXBR_supporting_statement.
Qualifications and Education
- Experience of working with the security and defence sector
- Experience of working with the security and defence sector
- Proven ability to adapt to changing project requirements.
- Evidence of ability to participate in and develop both internal and external networks and utilise them to enhance the research activities of the URI and School.
- A willingness to take responsibility for project related administration.
You need to demonstrate clearly how your experience, knowledge, skills and abilities match those required for the job, as detailed in the Person Specification. Where possible you should give examples of when you have used specific skills and abilities or needed to develop competencies in the relevant areas. You can draw on elements from any aspect of your life, such as education, work, home or community life, as long as you focus on its relevance to the needs of this job. If you do not demonstrate that you meet all of the ESSENTIAL criteria then you will not be invited to interview. You do not need to demonstrate that you meet all of the DESIRABLE criteria in order to be invited to interview. Meeting all of the Essential Criteria does not guarantee you an interview however, as there may be other applicants who have demonstrated that they meet some or all of the desirable criteria, or that they meet the criteria to a greater depth and/or relevance. Essential criteria may be tested at interview stage.
Cardiff University has a successful School of Computer Science & Informatics with an international reputation for its teaching and research activities. The School delivers a stimulating portfolio of BSc and MSc degrees, and offers research degrees leading to MPhil and PhD qualification. We have a strong research track record recognised for its outstanding impact in terms of reach and significance, with 79% of its outputs deemed world-leading or internationally excellent in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. Our multi-million pound annual research income is funded by a variety of sources, including the Royal Society, the Leverhulme Trust, the Welsh Assembly (including Higher Education Funding Council for Wales), the UK Research Councils, including Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the European Commission and industrial partners (mainly IBM UK Ltd and Airbus). For further information visit: http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/ .
We particularly welcome applications from women who are under-represented within Cardiff University in this field.
Academic - Research
Research Assistant, Data Management, Schools Health Research Network , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is recruiting a Research Assistant, Data Management, to work within the Schools Health Research Network (SHRN) within the Development and Evaluation of...
Research Associate, School Health Research Network, Decip Her , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is looking to recruit a Research Associate to work within the School Health Research Network (SHRN) that is part of the Development and Evaluation of C...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Research Associate – CS Connected We are recruiting one or more enthusiastic, highly-motivated team-players with proven research and technical knowledge in the area of III-V Compound Semiconductor...
2x Positions As Marie Curie Early Stage Researchers/Ph Ds On The Fabrication Of Quantum Emitters In Cardiff University , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Applicants are invited for 2x Early Stage Researcher (ESR) positions in the LasIonDef project (Laser Fabrication and Ion Implantation of Defects as Quantum Emitters) at Cardiff’s School of Enginee...
Research Assistant , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
We are pleased to offer the position for a part-time Research Assistant, supporting the project entitled "exploiting oncolytic bacteria for early detection of solid tumours", funded by Cancer Rese...
Research Associate Physical Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a physical chemistry project. The 3-year project, funded by the Leverhulm...