Cardiff School of Engineering
Cardiff School of Engineering
We are seeking for a highly motivated Research Associate to undertake a research project funded by a leading international provider of wireless communication systems. A key component for the operation of such systems are RF transistors and devices. Their evolution provides a strong commercial incentive capable of impacting the operational costs of the entire system. The project’s focus is to raise the understanding and utilisation of entire devices through improved insight of the performance and interaction of the individual unit cells within large RF transistors. A key project objective is the establishment of a measurement system capable of performing large-signal characterisations at the unit cell level.
The ideal candidate should have an experience in the development and use of large-signal measurement systems for the characterisation and modelling of RF devices. The candidate should be willing to take the initiative and eventually leadership of additional and related PhD projects within the wider research initiative that is funded by commercial entity.
This post is full time 35 hours per week, available immediately for a fixed term until 31 December 2024.
Salary: £34,304 - £40,927 per annum (Grade 6)
Job ref: 13059BR
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Professor Johannes Benedikt, Benedikt@cardiff.ac.uk
For further details about working at Cardiff School of Engineering please contact Karen Baldwin, Enginadmin@cardiff.ac.uk
Date advert posted: Friday, 19 November 2021
Closing date: Friday, 26 November 2021
This post has previously been advertised to employees of Cardiff University only. We now invite external applications.
Please NOTE: Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
The School of Engineering holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award that recognises good employment practice and a commitment to develop the careers of women working in science. Cardiff University is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share opportunities.
To conduct research in the area of Large-Signal Device Measurements and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University, carrying out research leading to the publishing of high-quality research. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
• To conduct research in the area of Large-Signal Device Measurements and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
• To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals
• To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
• To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
• To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
• To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
• To participate in School research activities.
• To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
• To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
• To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
• To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world
• Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
1. Postgraduate degree at PhD level (or nearing completion / submission) in a related subject area or relevant industrial experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within the following research fields:
i. Development of RF and microwave Large-signal measurement systems
ii. Large-signal device characterisation of packages or on-wafer RF devices
iii. Active load-pull systems and measurements
iv. Modelling of large-signal RF devices
v. Programming and/or automation of measurement systems
3. Knowledge of current status of research in specialist field
4. Proven ability to publish in national/international conferences and/or other research outputs
5. Knowledge and understanding of competitive research funding to be able to develop applications to funding bodies
Communication and Team Working
6. Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication
7. Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
8. Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-working within work
9. Proven ability to work without close supervision
1. Relevant professional qualification(s)- if applicable please specify
2. Evidence of collaborations with industry.
3. Proven ability to adapt to the changing requirements of the Higher Education community.
4. Evidence of ability to participate in and develop both internal and external networks and utilise them to enhance the research activities of the School.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 13059BR.
Academic - Research
Research Associate/Research Fellow, Wiserd , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is looking to recruit a Research Associate/Research Fellow to work within the Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods Researc...
Research Associate (Bioinformatics) Cardiff, UK Dementia Research Institute, United Kingdom, about 11 hours ago
Dementia is the biggest health challenge of our century. To date there is no way to prevent it or even slow its progression, and there is an urgent need to fill the knowledge gap in our basic unde...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
A position is available for a postdoctoral researcher to conduct research on the relationship between genomic variation and treatment outcomes in psychiatric disorders, with a particular emphasis ...
Research Associate, Wiserd , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The Wales Institute for Economic Research, Data & Methods (WISERD) is has been awarded £8m of funding from the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and a further £4.6m of funding from its p...
Team Assistant (Directorate) , The Open University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Location : Cardiff Please quote reference : 19100 Permanent, 37 hours per week Closing Date : 3 February, 2022 - 12:00 Change your career, change lives The Open University is the UK’s largest u...
Post Graduate Moderator/Tutor (Pg Dip/M Sc In Practical Dermatology) , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The Centre for Medical Education is looking to recruit a Postgraduate Taught Moderator / Tutor to join our team delivering the PgDip and MSc programmes in Practical Dermatology. This role provide...