Research Associate in Molecular Beam Epitaxy for Semiconductor Optoelectronics: Cardiff, UK
School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Cardiff University invites applications for a full-time postdoctoral research associate position in the area of Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) for Semiconductor Optoelectronics. The project leverages projects with industrial and academic collaborators and will be conducted at the Institute for Compound Semiconductors (ICS) , the Ser Cymru Research Group and the Compound Semiconductor (CSA) Catapult. The successful candidate will conduct the research and development of advanced epitaxial methods to advance type-II superlattices (T2SL) for infrared devices (MWIR-LWIR), thermophotovoltaics and quantum dots. We target applications with relevance to academic and industrial collaborators within UK and EU.
Applicants should have a PhD in Engineering, Physics or Materials Sciences focusing on advanced optoelectronic materials and devices with emphasis on MBE. Hands-on ability in MBE of III-As and Sb compounds is essential. Additional skills associated with materials characterization, fabrication or devices are also desired. A strong publication record is also desirable along with experience of participating in research proposals, liaising with research/industry-based groups with proven ability to network effectively with academics and those outside academia.
With your completed application, please submit your full CV, a statement of research interest and career goals (2 pages max).
For informal enquiries please email Professor Diana Huffaker on HuffakerDL@cardiff.ac.uk .
For more information about working at Cardiff University contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This full-time (35 hours per week) post is fixed term until 31 March 2021.
Salary: £33,199 – £39,609 per annum (Grade 6) depending on experience.
Date advert posted: Wednesday, 3 July 2019
Closing Date: Saturday, 3 August 2019
Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
The School of Engineering holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award that recognises good employment practice and a commitment to develop the careers of women working in science. Cardiff University is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working.
Main Function of post
- To conduct research and development in advanced III-V MBE methods and processes for integrated optoelectronic devices.
- To lead existing collaborations with both industrial and academic collaborators.
- To contribute to the overall research performance of the University by publishing work in high-quality journals and conference presentations.
- Main duties and responsibilities:
- To study and develop state-of-art MBE processes for optoelectronic devices using III-As and III-Sb.
- To seek new industrial collaborations in support of innovation and technology transfer especially for epitaxial methods.
- To contribute to the overall performance of the research group, School and the University by the production of measurable outputs, including bidding for funding, publishing in academic journals and conferences;
- To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including assistance with research funding proposals;
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, explore future research opportunities, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects;
- To disseminate research findings through publishing in leading international academic journals and high-impact conferences
- To assist in research team training, mentoring and day-to-day supervision including PhD, postgraduate research students;
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including any planning and organisation of the project, support of accurate and timely reporting and any assistance in research team training, mentoring and day-to-day supervision including associated PhD, postgraduate research students;
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance;
- To participate in outreach activities that align with this field of research.
- To carry out any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
- To prepare research ethics and governance applications as appropriate
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field.
- To participate in School research activities.
Qualifications and Education
1. A PhD (or nearing completion / submission) in physics, engineering or related topical areas with emphasis in MBE of III-V materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and / or relevant industrial experience associated with III-V MBE including: III-V superlattices, lattice-mismatched and dissimilar materials, crystalline defects, patterned epitaxy and thin films.
3. Evidence of knowledge in advanced epitaxial processes and materials characterization techniques specifically in III-As, Sb MBE.
4. Proven ability and record of high-quality publications in international journals, conference presentations and technical society participation associated with MBE community especially III-As,-Sb.
5. Demonstrated ability to contribute to successful competitive research funding proposals associated with III-V MBE for optoelectronics devices.
6. Demonstrated ability to contribute to successful competitive research funding proposals.
Communication and Team Working
7. Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication
8. Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
9. Demonstrated ability to develop networks and links with researchers in other institutes to enhance research progress and collaboration.
10. Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-work.
1. Evidence of successful collaborations with industry.
2. Evidence of intellectual property (IPR) generation.
3. A willingness to take responsibility for academically related administration.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 8741BR.
Academic - Research
Research Associate In Homogenisation Of Pd Es, School of Mathematics, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
Application Link: https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&jobid=1516896#jobDetails=1516896_5460 Research Associate in Ho...
Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH WALES PRIFYSGOL DE CYMRU Faculty of Computing, Engineering & Science Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project Grade E *£29,515 – £34,189 pro rata per annum Plus full fee ...
Research Assistant U010642, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
The School of Care Sciences, located in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Education at the University of South Wales is investing in and building upon its existing excellence in nursing and midwife...
Communications Assistant (Bsl/English) U010662, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Communication Assistant (BSL/English) Job Purpose: To contribute to the provision of BSL/English interpreting support within the University of South Wales Law School, principally supporting a Law ...
Hospitality Assistant (U000813), University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
To provide a friendly service and play a part in delivering excellent customer service. To adhere to operating standards at all times relevant to the unit you are working in e.g. food court or caf...