Cardiff School of Engineering
Research Associate – Solar Energy Materials and Devices
Cardiff School of Engineering
We are seeking a post-doctoral researcher to join the Energy Materials Group at Cardiff University. The post is associated with an EPSRC project on “Stability of Organic Solar Cells based on Non-Fullerene Acceptors,” in close collaboration with Imperial College London and Swansea University, as well as industrial partners including Eight 19 Ltd, NSG Group, and Armor Group.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the fabrication and testing of various types of solution processed solar cells and the optical, morphological, functional characterization films and devices to understand the degradation phenomena affecting their performance. The successful applicant will join a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team targeting the development and evaluation of solution processed solar cells for various target applications.
This post is full time and fixed term until 31 May 2022.
Salary: £33,199 - £39,609 per annum (Grade 6)
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Dr Zhe Li, email LiZ75@cardiff.ac.uk
For a discussion about working at Cardiff University please contact Karen Baldwin, email EllisK3@cardiff.ac.uk
Date advert posted: Wednesday, 8 May 2019
Closing date: Saturday, 8 June 2019
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University actively promotes equality of opportunity and values diversity. We welcome applications from protected groups that are under-represented in the workforce. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share opportunities.
- To conduct research within the area of solution processed semiconductors and solar cells and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals.
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required.
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate.
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field.
- To participate in School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects.
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside work.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role
Qualifications and Education
1. A Doctoral degree in physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering or related areas
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within the area of Energy materials and their applications
3. Knowledge of current status of research in the specialist fields listed above
4. Proven ability to publish in national high-quality journals and high-impact conferences
5. Proven ability to be successful in competitive research funding
6. Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication
7. Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
8. Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-working within work
9. Proven ability to work without close supervision
1. Postgraduate degree at PhD level in related areas of Fabrication and testing of solution processed solar cells (e.g. organic, perovskite, quantum dot)
2. Evidence of collaborations with industry.
3. Proven ability to adapt to the changing requirements of the Higher Education community.
4. Evidence of ability to participate in and develop both internal and external networks and utilise them to enhance the research activities of the School.
5. Fluency in Welsh, Written and Oral
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 8520BR.
Academic - Research
Research Associate In Homogenisation Of Pd Es, School of Mathematics, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Application Link: https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&jobid=1516896#jobDetails=1516896_5460 Research Associate in Ho...
Research Assistant U010642, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
The School of Care Sciences, located in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Education at the University of South Wales is investing in and building upon its existing excellence in nursing and midwife...
Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH WALES PRIFYSGOL DE CYMRU Faculty of Computing, Engineering & Science Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project Grade E *£29,515 – £34,189 pro rata per annum Plus full fee ...
Communications Assistant (Bsl/English) U010662, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Communication Assistant (BSL/English) Job Purpose: To contribute to the provision of BSL/English interpreting support within the University of South Wales Law School, principally supporting a Law ...
Hospitality Assistant (U000813), University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
To provide a friendly service and play a part in delivering excellent customer service. To adhere to operating standards at all times relevant to the unit you are working in e.g. food court or caf...