Research Associate in Local Multi-Energy Networks
Cardiff School of Engineering
The Centre for Integrated Renewable Energy Generation and Supply (CIREGS), one of the research groups within Cardiff School of Engineering, is seeking to recruit a Research Associate for an exciting project undertaking research into smart local multi-energy networks considering electricity, heating, cooling, gas and eletrified transport systems. Smart local power and energy balancing mechanisms will be investigated, in particular Peer to Peer energy trading methods. The Research Associate will work closely with the Active Building Centre and EPSRC Supergen Hub on Energy Networks.
CIREGS has expertise in smart grid, multi-vector energy networks and peer-to-peer energy trading. The Research Associate will work in the broad area of modelling, analysis, and optimisation of local mutli-vector energy networks and play a key role within an established research team.
This post is full time, available from 1 July 2020 and is fixed term until 30 June 2022, with a potential for extension.
Salary: £33,797 - £40,322 per annum (Grade 6). It is not anticipated that an appointment be made above £36,914 per annum, point 33.
For informal enquiries about the post, please contact Professor Jianzhong Wu WuJ5@cardiff.ac.uk
For further details about working at Cardiff School of Engineering, please contact Karen Baldwin Enginadmin@cardiff.ac.uk
Date advert posted: Thursday, 30 April 2020
Closing date: Sunday, 31 May 2020
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
The School of Engineering holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award that recognises good employment practice and a commitment to develop the careers of women working in science. Cardiff University is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share opportunities.
To conduct research into smart local multi-energy networks considering electricity, heating, cooling, gas and electrified transport systems. Smart local power and energy balancing mechanisms will be investigated, in particular Peer to Peer energy trading methods. The Research Associate will work closely with the Active Building Centre and EPSRC Supergen Hub on Energy Networks. Contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University, carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• To conduct research into modelling, analysis and optimisation of smart local multi-energy networks and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
• To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals
• To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
• To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
• To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
• To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
• To participate in School research activities.
• To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
• To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
• To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
• To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world.
• Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
1. Postgraduate degree at PhD level in a related subject area or equivalent or relevant industrial experience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within the following research fields:
i. Multi-energy networks
ii. Local energy systems
iii. Peer-to-Peer energy trading
3. Knowledge of current status of research in specialist field
4. Proven ability to publish in national journal
5. Proven ability to be successful in competitive research funding
Communication and Team Working
6. Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication
7. Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
8. Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-working within work
9. Proven ability to work without close supervision
1. Evidence of collaborations with industry.
2. Evidence of ability to participate in and develop both internal and external networks and utilise them to enhance the research activities of the School.
3. Proven ability to adapt to the changing requirements of the Higher Education community.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 9877BR.
Academic - Research
Research Associates In Energy Systems Modelling (2 Posts) , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
We seek to recruit highly motivated Research Associates with proven intellectual and technical ability to conduct independent research on modelling and analysis of energy systems. The successful c...
Research Assistant Wales Centre For Public Policy , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
This post offers a unique opportunity for an outstanding graduate to obtain first-hand experience of policy relevant research, working closely with leading academics, senior policymakers and publi...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual for a position at Cardiff University Centre for Human Developmental Science (CUCHDS). The successful candidate will join a collaborative research team to ...
Research Associate In Hydro Environmental Modelling , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position (RA), forming part of the Sêr Cymru project: “Living with the Perfect Beast; establishing MixoHUB, a centre of excellence fo...
Research Associate In Epr Characterisation Of Heterogeneous Catalysis , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a heterogeneous photocatalysis project, with an emphasis on advanced spec...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 17 hours ago
The UK Dementia Research Institute (UK DRI) is a £290 million investment into dementia research funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), alongside founding charity partners, the Alzheimer’s S...