View Vacancy -- Research Assistant - Chemistry NATA 1428
The Medical Research Council (part of UKRI) are currently launching a new initiative with a mission to unlock the potential of precision genetic medicines and speed up clinical developments.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of establishing an internationally unique resource (NATA), drawing on world-leading academic expertise in partnership with innovative businesses to discover and test viable ways of delivering oligonucleotide therapies and anchoring the oligonucleotide therapy industry in the UK for many years to come.
The NATA will focus on bringing together key stakeholders around the infrastructure hub while catalysing collaborative R&D activity with focused support to tackle significant barriers facing oligonucleotide therapy delivery to key organs.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 5
Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
£25,198 - £30,762
Nucleic Acid Therapy Accelerator
The Medical Research Council (MRC), as part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), have invested a total of £30m over 4 years through the Strategic Priorities Fund to establish a nucleic acid therapy accelerator (NATA) that will support state-of-the-art interdisciplinary research to solve critical issues in nucleic acid drug delivery, through focused NATA research challenges and a NATA infrastructure hub. This will be an internationally unique resource, drawing on world-leading academic expertise in partnership with innovative businesses to discover and test viable ways of delivering oligonucleotide therapies, anchoring the oligonucleotide therapy industry in the UK for many years to come.
The NATA will focus on bringing together key stakeholders around the infrastructure hub while catalysing collaborative R&D activity with focused support to tackle significant barriers facing oligonucleotide therapy delivery to key organs. This investment will support capacity building in terms of equipment, upskilling and domain expertise that will be essential in developing critical mass to catalyse and de-risk the development of next generation nucleic acid medicines.
The NATA has the opportunity to establish a new industrial sector attracting and developing highly skill jobs with the potential of the UK being the leader in the field where global nucleic acid therapies market is expected to be £6 billion by 2025.
The Research assistant will be critical in operating the NATA oligonucleotide synthesis process and quality control. The individual will operate and maintain the oligonucleotide synthesizer, purify the materials on High Performance Liquid Chromatography and assess Quality Control on LC-MS. Other general duties required are to ensure smooth running of the NATA chemistry lab i.e. oligonucleotides database implementation, chemicals inventory, equipment maintenance.
The post holder will assist Junior/Senior Researcher on the high industry standard production of Nucleic Acid Therapeutics for various translational and collaborative projects. They will report to the Head of department.
- Perform the synthesis, purification and Quality Control of several classes of Nucleic Acid Therapeutic
- Take a proactive approach to learning and implementing new techniques and approaches
- Manage instruments, reagents and chemical resources efficiently
- Support Scientists carrying out methods development for the production, purification and characterization of new Acid Nucleic Therapeutics including new conjugates
- Troubleshoot and maintain synthesis procedures and instrumentation
- Carry out analysis (using the appropriate Quality Control methods) and report data (verbal and written report)
- Keep excellent scientific records and implement databases
- Present work internally
- Contribute to lab meetings
- Maintain a good knowledge of the relevant literature and of the wider field and actively promote this to the group
- Support Junior and Senior Scientists as required
- Effectively manage resources
- Support the Lab Manager undertaking lab management duties such as lab and equipment maintenance, H&S administration, inventory, databases.
Essential selection criteria
- Hold a relevant degree in chemistry or related field
- Experience of working in a laboratory, preferably translational and related to Nucleic Acid Therapeutics
- Experience in solid support synthesis of oligonucleotides
- Experience in reverse phase and ion exchange chromatography
- Experience in mass spectrometry, especially LC-MS
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation
- Experience in High throughput production
- Computer literacy is essential for the recording and communication of results
- Ability to manage resources
- Ability to analyse data
- Familiarity with databases
- Demonstrate ability to write scientifically
- Capable of critical thinking
- Working and adhering to standard operating procedures and experience of process analysis and refinement
- Organised, hard-working with a strong eye for detail and is able to work as part of a team
- Demonstrate ability to mean milestones
- Flexible and adaptable, able to manage changing priorities
- Good communication skills and effective engagement with colleagues, collaborators or general public
Desirable selection criteria
- Interdisciplinary interests with an emphasis for biology, especially with in vitro and in vivo testing
- Experience of the synthesis of fluorescent-labelled oligonucleotides
- Experience of the analysis of oligonucleotides; quantification, localization, protein interactions
- Experience of large data set analysis
- Experience of database management
- Experience of platform management
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Postdoctoral Scientist, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Please Note: this is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Radiotherapy kills tumour cells by both generating lethal DNA damage and by triggering immunogenic cell death, yet how ...
Research Assistant In Cancer Immuno Therapy, Singula Bio Ltd, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Singula Bio is a spin-out seed-stage biotech company from the University of Oxford that is focused on developing novel neoantigen- based cell therapies targeting solid tumours. Singula Bio aims to...
Sasakawa Postgraduate Masters By Research Studentship , Oxford Brookes University ;, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
Sasakawa Postgraduate Masters by Research Studentship Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Eligibility: Home/EU (3 year residency status only – see below) Mode of study: Full-time only Fundi...
Senior Research Fellow , University of Oxford ;, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
Nuffield Department of Medicine, Big Data Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre for Health and Information Discovery, Old Road Campus, Oxford, OX3 7LF Applications are invited for a Senior Research Fellow...
Senior Research Fellow, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Applications are invited for a Senior Research Fellow to work at the Big Data Institute. This is a unique opportunity to join the world-leading team and contribute to the national response to the ...
Postdoctoral Research Scientist Organelle Dysfunction In Neurodegenerative Disease, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
We are seeking to appoint a postdoctoral scientist to build a newly formed Organelle Biology team within the Alzheimer’s Research UK Oxford Drug Discovery Institute (ARUK-ODDI). Applicants must ha...