School of Medicine
Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences
Cardiff University School of Medicine
College of Biomedical and Life Sciences
The Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences at the Cardiff University School of Medicine seek to appoint a Research Assistant to work on a Wellcome Trust funded project entitled ‘Feasibility of a large-scale, international, clinical-genetic study of postpartum psychosis’ and to contribute to the establishment of the Postpartum Psychosis Genomics Consortium.
The successful candidate will have a degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience.
This post is full time (35 hours per week), available from 1st October 2019 and is fixed term until 30th September 2021.
Salary: £27,025 - £31,302 per annum (Grade 5)
Date advert posted: Friday, 23 August 2019
Closing Date: Monday, 9 September 2019
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
To contribute to research within postpartum psychosis, carrying out supporting work that helps lead to the publishing of research in high-quality journals. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To undertake research, e.g. by planning, preparing, setting up, conducting and recording the outcome of desktop research.
- To participate actively within the research group, communicating and presenting research at meetings, through publications and other recognised avenues as appropriate, ensuring information is communicated to internal and external partners.
- To collate, clean, harmonise and manage phenotype and genotype data gathered from several cohorts worldwide.
- To contribute and support research publications and presentations as required.
- To contribute and support research funding bids as required.
- To analyse and communicate complex ideas, concepts and data using appropriate methods and packages.
- To resolve issues and support colleagues in devising procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To generate research output and contribute to the development of independent and original ideas as appropriate.
- To provide support in research activities for undergraduate courses and research programmes and provide guidance to other members of staff within the research team.
- To maintain and update area of specialist knowledge, researching and critically appraising relevant literature within the area.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance, including training in statistical genetics and bioinformatics.
- To ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties.
- To abide by the University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
1. A degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. Knowledge of research methods and techniques within specialist field, including R (statistical software).
3. Proven ability to analyse complex information and summarise appropriately.
4. Knowledge and understanding of competitive research funding to be able to develop applications to funding bodies.
5. Proven ability to learn new methods and specialist knowledge.
Communication and Team Working
6. Proven communication skills, including presentation to various audiences.
7. Excellent organisational and teamworking skills.
8. Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team working within work.
1. Postgraduate degree at PhD level in a related subject area or relevant industrial experience.
2. Proven ability to work without close supervision.
3. Proven ability to conduct genome-wide association analyses, including polygenic score analyses.
4. Proven ability to adapt to the changing requirements of the Higher Education community.
MPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
It is School of Medicine's policy to use the person specification as a key tool for short-listing. Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable. As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement.
Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance for this post, 9008BR
If candidates do not provide written evidence of meeting all of the essential criteria then their application will not be progressed. The School of Medicine welcome the submission of CVs to accompany evidence of the job-based criteria.
Academic - Research, Health, Medical & Dental
Research Associate In Kinetic Inductance Detector Development , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
The Astronomy Instrumentation Group at Cardiff University is seeking applications to fill the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate. The research associate will work with a team of researche...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences Cardiff School of Medicine The Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences at the Cardiff University School of Medic...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
School of Medicine College of Biomedical and Life Sciences Applications are invited for a Research Associate in Viral Immunology at Cardiff University School of Medicine. The project aims to devel...
Research Associate In Computational Materials Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a computational materials chemistry project. The ambitious 7-year project...
Ktp Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
The successful applicant will be joining Cardiff University, one of the UK’s leading research led universities, working as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate. This post is funded by the Knowledge ...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
School of Medicine, and the School of Dentistry College of Biomedical and Life Sciences Cardiff University is internationally recognised for its research within Dentistry, and within the fields of...