The School of Biological Sciences is looking for an enthusiastic Project Officer to participate in the recently awarded College of Science Collaborative Award entitled ‘Uncovering the temporal gene expression dynamics of phytoplankton with single-cell RNA sequencing’.
This collaborative project is headed by the labs of Asst Prof Adriana Lopes dos Santos (marine ecology) and Asst Prof Marek Mutwil (plant computational biology). Furthermore, we are closely collaborating with the labs of Asst Prof Holden Li and Asst Prof Han Wei Hou .
This project aims to introduce Drop-Seq to study the diurnal gene expression in marine phytoplankton. Drop-Seq, a “in house” microfluidic device, analyzes mRNA transcripts from droplets of individual cells in a highly parallel fashion. This single-cell sequencing method uses a microfluidic device to compartmentalize droplets containing a single cell, lysis buffer, and a microbead covered with barcoded primers. Drop-Seq allows us to capture the gene expression of individual phytoplanktonic cells by seizing the different gene expression states of each individual under the diurnal cycle. Studying the cell cycle can tell us a great deal about how a cell works and the mechanisms controlling its division, but this information is limited to very few phytoplankton species as typical experiments require the collection of many RNA-seq samples, which can be economically prohibitive.
The College of Science seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all and recruit on the basis of merit, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, marital status and family responsibilities, or disability.
- Grow and cultivate marine algae
- Learn to operate a microfluidic device Poseidon (https://pachterlab.github.io/poseidon/ )
- Implement the single cell RNA sequencing experimental pipeline, Drop-Seq (http://mccarrolllab.org/dropseq/ )
- Assist in the administrative duties of the lab, which includes procurement, inventory checking, safety/risk assessment and equipment maintenance
- If you are interested, we can also teach you bioinformatics and coding in Python which will allow you to analyze the gene expression data
- Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Engineering or related
- Successful candidates must have an enthusiasm for research, be self-motivated and well-organized
- Strong team player with good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to plan tasks independently and demonstrate good troubleshooting skills
- Experience with literature search, designing, conducting experiments and data analysis will be advantageous
- Good working attitude, responsible and able to learn things quickly
We regret only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU
A Trap On The Road To Tumor Growth: Targeting The Pro Neoplastic Functions Of The Mitochondrial..., Università degli Studi di Padova, Italy, about 13 hours ago
The mitochondrial chaperone TRAP1 acts as a bona fide oncogene by down-modulating the activity of the respiratory complex II, aka succinate dehydrogenase. The consequent increase in intracellular ...
Advanced Proteomic Approaches To Identify And Characterize Lin28 Molecular Complexes Regulating..., MIUR, Italy, about 13 hours ago
The RNA-binding protein (RBP) Lin28a controls pluripotent stem cell differentiation as well as the establishment of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), through the reprogramming of somatic cel...
Assistant Professor, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland, 11 days ago
The candidate should have PhD in the field in natural sciences in the discipline of chemical sciences, field biotechnology, and achievements in science (confirmed by scientific publication from JC...
Research Technologist The Gene Editing Core Iddrc, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 1 day ago
The Gene Editing Core of the Intellectual Development & Disabilities Research Center (IDDRC) at Boston Children's Hospital (BCH) is inviting applications from motivated candidates for a Research T...
Dynamics Of The Malaria Parasite Invading The Human Erythrocyte, Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), Belgium, 14 days ago
A two-year postdoctoral position in theory and simulation of biomaterials is available starting from July the 1st (or earlier) at the Physics of Complex Systems and Statistical Mechanics Laborato...
Hi Wi Stelle Bioinformatik (Sc Rn Aseq After Covid 19 Vaccination) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 5 hours ago
29.12.2020, Wissenschaftliches Personal Single cell genomics is revolutionizing biology and medicine. Rapid technological advances now allow the profiling of genomes, transcriptomes and epigenomes...