Professor in Human – Computer Interaction and Creative Informatics
Edinburgh Napier University – Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment
Salary: £65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8 – 10)
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
We are a flexible employer.
Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its approach.
The Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment have around 200 academics, 3,100 campus-based students, and deliver programmes with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing, engineering and construction lab facilities. The two schools are embarking on a joint major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics and construction technology.
The School of Computing is highly regarded and one of the UK's largest computer science departments. The School of Engineering & the Built Environment houses leading UK research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction. The schools are based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland's inspiring capital.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced academic with expertise in Human – Computer Interaction and Creative Informatics or related fields to join the Interaction Design and Social Informatics research groups where you can add to the work of the experienced team exploring User Experience Design, Interaction Design, Creative Informatics, Human Centred Design and Social Informatics. You will undertake the role of Head of Subject in our Creative and Social Informatics Subject and as a professor you will be expected to contribute to the leadership of the research groups as well, especially in terms of driving the research agenda and leading the exploration of new foundational research areas. Areas of desirable expertise include, but are not limited to: human data interaction, service design, internet of things & ubiquitous computing, sustainable and ethical design, social computing. A research profile characterised by a design informed approach, combined with a genuine engagement with creative practice would be desirable. With 30% time allocation for research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of human computer interaction, deliver excellent quality research papers and secure substantial external research funding.
The Professor in Human – Computer Interaction and Creative Informatics will contribute to and build programmes and modules to support the expansion of the School’s teaching portfolio which explores user experience design, the changing nature of IT infrastructure, big data, business intelligence, and the impact of technology on business. You will actively contribute to our existing portfolio of degree programmes in computing and informatics.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and applied research and in the development of research-informed teaching to enhance employability of our graduates. You will have the opportunity to expand your industry connections through our existing networks and by visiting students on one-year industry placements and on our employer-based Graduate Apprentice programme.
Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here .
You will be the Head of Subject for the Creative and Social Informatics Subject. You will be member of the School Senior Leadership Team. You will provide leadership to the community of colleagues within the Subject. You will coordinate research, teaching & learning, and student recruitment in your Subject by leading and working with the Subject Leadership Team.
As a professor you will be a member of our Interaction Design and Social Informatics research groups with:
- A research allowance of 30% of your time to expand your research – which can be increased further through external funding.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to nurture and expand collaborations.
- Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Opportunities to lead or join PhD student supervisory teams.
- A fully funded PhD position (UK student) that you are expected to fill during your first year of employment at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research groups.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- An international reputation as a leader in the field of research appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of internationally excellent quality output in the research area of Human – Computer Interaction and Creative Informatics appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of securing external funding and support for research activity (as Principal Investigator or key contributor) and networking within the relevant research community nationally and internationally appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- Completion of at least one PhD student, supervised as main supervisor.
- Evidence of academic leadership appropriate for the level of the professorial position (e.g., mentoring others, engagement in institutional leadership, engagement in cross-institutional and national projects and initiatives)
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience.
- Commitment to deliver and provide leadership of face to face, blended, and online teaching for both on-campus and off-campus delivery in the UK and overseas.
- Strong influencing, leadership and people management skills.
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Further information about our benefits can be found here .
Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Peter Andras (email@example.com ) or Associate Professor Michael Smyth (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application closing date: 9 January 2022 at 11.59pm
Interview date: February 2022
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations and holds Disability Confident, Career Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
The School of Engineering and the Built Environment (SEBE) is delighted to offer a new Lecturer post in Mechanical Engineering and Design Subject Group. SEBE offers a range of undergraduate and p...
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group - Full Time, Permanent £40,927 to £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package The School of Engineering and the Built Environme...
Lecturer In Human Resource Management – Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Lecturer in Human Resource Management – Full time, Permanent £40,927 - £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package We will be appointing a Lecturer in Human Resource Management to the f...
Lecturer In Human Resource Management Full Time, Permanent , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
We will be appointing a Lecturer in Human Resource Management to the following academic pathways: Research , Professional Practice or Learning & Teaching . The HRM team is well-established with a...
Lecturer In Natural Area/Sustainable Tourism , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
We are looking to appoint one Lecturer in Natural Area/Sustainable Tourism Management on our Learning and Teaching or Research pathway . The successful candidate will play a significant role in s...
School Support Administrator Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
School Support Administrator - Full Time, Permanent Excellent Benefits Package Further Your Administration Career with Edinburgh Napier University We have a Administrator role opportunity within o...