Professor in Computer Science (Software Engineering)
Edinburgh Napier University – Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment
Salary: £65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8-10)
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
We are a flexible employer.
Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its approach.
The Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment have around 200 academics, 3,100 campus-based students, and deliver programmes with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing, engineering and construction lab facilities. The two schools are embarking on a joint major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics and construction technology.
The School of Computing is highly regarded and one of the UK's largest computer science departments. The School of Engineering & the Built Environment houses leading UK research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction. The schools are based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland's inspiring capital.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced academic with expertise in Software Engineering or related fields to join the Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence research groups where you can add to the work of the experienced team exploring Cloud and Edge-based Software Systems, Pervasive Computing, Software Architecture, Formal Software Engineering, Applications of AI in all aspects of Software Engineering and Human Factors in Software Systems. You will undertake the role of Head of Subject in our Software Engineering and Technology Subject and as a professor you will be expected to contribute to the leadership of the research groups as well, especially in terms of driving the research agenda and leading the exploration of new foundational research areas. Areas of desirable expertise include, but are not limited to: software architecture, empirical software engineering, programming languages, program comprehension, repository mining, software visualisation, software testing, verification, formal methods, static or dynamic software analysis, agile development. With 30% time allocation for research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of software engineering, deliver excellent quality research papers and secure substantial external research funding.
The Professor in Computer Science (Software Engineering) will contribute to and build programmes and modules to support the expansion of the School’s teaching portfolio which explores software engineering, the changing nature of IT infrastructure, big data, business intelligence, and the impact of technology on business. You will actively contribute to our existing portfolio of computer science based degree programmes.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and applied research and in the development of research-informed teaching to enhance employability of our graduates. You will have the opportunity to expand your industry connections through our existing networks and by visiting students on one-year industry placements and on our employer-based Graduate Apprentice programme.
Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here .
You will be the Head of Subject for the Software Engineering and Technology Subject. You will be member of the School Senior Leadership Team. You will provide leadership to the community of colleagues within the Subject. You will coordinate research, teaching & learning, and student recruitment in your Subject by leading and working with the Subject Leadership Team.
As an professor you will be a member of our Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence research groups with:
- A research allowance of 30% of your time to expand your research – which can be increased further through external funding.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Opportunities to lead or join PhD student supervisory teams.
- A fully funded PhD position (UK student) that you are expected to fill during your first year of appointment at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research group.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- An international reputation as a leader in the field of research appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of internationally excellent quality output in the research area of Software Engineering appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of securing external funding and support for research activity (as Principal Investigator or key contributor) and networking within the relevant research community nationally and internationally appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- Completion of at least one PhD student, supervised as main supervisor.
- Evidence of academic leadership appropriate for the level of the professorial position (e.g., mentoring others, engagement in institutional leadership, engagement in cross-institutional and national projects and initiatives).
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience.
- Commitment to deliver and provide leadership of face to face, blended, and online teaching for both on-campus and off-campus delivery in the UK and overseas.
- Strong influencing, leadership and people management skills.
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile .
Further information about our benefits can be found here .
Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Peter Andras (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Professor Xiaodong Liu (email@example.com ).
For general recruitment queries, please contact our Talent and Resourcing Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application closing date: 9 January 2022 at 11.59pm
Interview date: February 2022
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and are holders of Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status.
More details can be found here .
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
The School of Engineering and the Built Environment (SEBE) is delighted to offer a new Lecturer post in Mechanical Engineering and Design Subject Group. SEBE offers a range of undergraduate and p...
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group - Full Time, Permanent £40,927 to £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package The School of Engineering and the Built Environme...
Lecturer In Human Resource Management – Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
Lecturer in Human Resource Management – Full time, Permanent £40,927 - £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package We will be appointing a Lecturer in Human Resource Management to the f...
School Support Administrator Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
School Support Administrator - Full Time, Permanent Excellent Benefits Package Further Your Administration Career with Edinburgh Napier University We have a Administrator role opportunity within o...
Robotics/Automation Technician , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
The School of Engineering and the Built Environment is delighted to be able to offer a new post for a Robotics/Automation Technician. We are seeking to appoint an outstanding applicant to maintai...
Lecturer In Human Resource Management Full Time, Ftc 12 Months (Mat Cover), Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
Lecturer in Human Resource Management - Full Time, FTC 12 months (Mat cover) £40,927 - £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package We will be appointing a Lecturer in Human Resource Man...