Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Edinburgh Napier University – Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment
Salary: £65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8 – 10)
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
We are a flexible employer.
Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its approach.
The Schools of Computing and Engineering & the Built Environment have around 200 academics, 3,100 campus-based students, and deliver programmes with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing, engineering and construction lab facilities. The two schools are embarking on a joint major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics and construction technology.
The School of Computing is highly regarded and one of the UK's largest computer science departments. The School of Engineering & the Built Environment houses leading UK research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction. The schools are based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland's inspiring capital.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced academic with expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning or related fields to join the Artificial Intelligence research group where you can add to the work of the experienced team exploring Evolutionary Robotics, Healthcare Data Analytics, Smart Transport Applications and Machine Learning Enabled Cyber Security. As a professor you will be expected to contribute to the leadership of the research group as well, especially in terms of driving the research agenda and leading the exploration of new foundational research areas. Areas of desirable expertise include, but are not limited to: machine learning with applications to robotics, machine learning theoretical foundations, machine learning applied to biomedical data, machine learning for transport systems, deep learning systems, adversarial machine learning, generative models in machine learning. With 80% time allocation for research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of artificial intelligence and machine learning, deliver excellent quality research papers and secure substantial external research funding.
The Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning will contribute to and build programmes and modules to support the expansion of the School’s teaching portfolio which explores the changing nature of IT infrastructure, AI and ML applications to big data, business intelligence, and the impact of technology on business. You will actively contribute to our existing portfolio of computer science based degree programmes.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and applied research and in the development of research-informed teaching to enhance employability of our graduates. You will have the opportunity to expand your industry connections through our existing networks and by visiting students on one-year industry placements and on our employer-based Graduate Apprentice programme.
Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here .
As a professor you will be a member of our Artificial Intelligence research group with:
- A research allowance of 80% of your time to build your research.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Opportunities to lead and join PhD student supervisory teams.
- A fully funded PhD position (UK student) that you are expected to fill during your first year of employment at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research group.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- An international reputation as a leader in the field of research appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of internationally excellent quality output in the research area of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of securing external funding and support for research activity (as Principal Investigator or key contributor) and networking within the relevant research community nationally and internationally appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- Completion of at least one PhD student, supervised as main supervisor.
- Evidence of academic leadership appropriate for the level of the professorial position (e.g., mentoring others, engagement in institutional leadership, engagement in cross-institutional and national projects and initiatives).
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience.
- Applicants preferably will also demonstrate:
- Sustained track records of internationally excellent output and externally funded research projects in interface areas of computer science, engineering, construction and mathematics that are relevant for Industry 4.0 research.
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile .
Further information about our benefits can be found here .
Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Peter Andras (email@example.com ) or Professor Ben Paechter (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
For general recruitment queries, please contact our Talent and Resourcing Team at: email@example.com .
Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application closing date: 9 January 2022 at 11.59pm
Interview date: February 2022
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and are holders of Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here .
Robotics/Automation Technician , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
The School of Engineering and the Built Environment is delighted to be able to offer a new post for a Robotics/Automation Technician. We are seeking to appoint an outstanding applicant to maintai...
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group , Edinburgh Napier University ;, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
The School of Engineering and the Built Environment (SEBE) is delighted to offer a new Lecturer post in Mechanical Engineering and Design Subject Group. SEBE offers a range of undergraduate and p...
Robotics/Automation Technician, Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Robotics/Automation Technician, Full Time, Permanent £33,309 - £39,739 per annum (Grade 5) Excellent Benefits Package The School of Engineering and the Built Environment is delighted to be able t...
Acquisitions, Metadata & Scholarly Communications Manager, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Acquisitions, Metadata & Scholarly Communications Manager £33,309 - £39,739 per annum (Grade 5) Excellent Benefits Package Acquisitions, Metadata, and Scholarly Communications Manager – Full time,...
Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering & Design Subject Group - Full Time, Permanent £40,927 to £50,296 per annum (Grade 6) Excellent Benefits Package The School of Engineering and the Built Environme...
School Support Administrator Full Time, Permanent, Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
School Support Administrator - Full Time, Permanent Excellent Benefits Package Further Your Administration Career with Edinburgh Napier University We have a Administrator role opportunity within o...