Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Fixed term contract for up to 2 years
Closing date – 16th Sept 2021
The Postdoctorial Researcher position is funded through the Metal Atoms on Surfaces & Interfaces (MASI) for Sustainable Future EPSRC programme grant to deliver on work packages focussing on experiments utilizing a mass-selected magnetron sputtering cluster source (MS-MSCS) and an aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscope (ac-STEM).
Summary of the role
- Perform experimental work using the MS-MSCS and ac-STEM
- Manage research activities on, and maintenance of the MS-MSCS and ac-STEM
- Collaborate with the MASI project partners
- Analyse and interpret research findings and results
- Contribute to new grant applications to extend funding of the project
- Initiate and conduct original research that has measurable outcomes and is reflected in international reputation
- Plan, design, and coordinate research activities and programs
- Contribute to the development of research strategies
- Publish results of own research
- Contribute to the supervision of Ph.D. students
- Contribute to public engagement activities
- Perform experimental work using the MS-MSCS and ac-STEM
- Manage the MS-MSCS and ac-STEM labs, including maintenance of the instruments, scheduling of access, and training and supporting PhD students using these instruments
- Collaborate with the MASI project partners, attending project meetings and reporting
- Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding
- Disseminate research findings for publication, research seminars etc.
- Supervise students on research related work and provide guidance on PhD students where appropriate to the discipline
- Contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods
- Undertake management/administration arising from research
- Contribute to Departmental/School research-related activities and research related administration
- Contribute to enterprise, business development and/or public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader
- Present research outputs, including drafting academic publications or parts thereof, for example at seminars and as posters
- Provide guidance, as required, to support staff and any students who may be assisting with the research
- Deal with the problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines
- High-level analytical capability
- First degree in area of specialism and normally, a higher degree relevant to research area of equivalent qualifications
- Ability to manage work packages
- Ability to operate and maintain experimental equipment
- Ability to quickly attain expertise in operating MS-MSCS and ac-STEM
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly
- Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
- Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
- Contribute to the planning and organising of the research programme and/or specific research project
- Co-ordinate own work with others to avoid conflict or duplication of effort
- Willingness to learn new techniques and topics related to the project
- Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
Send informal enquires to Dr Wolfgang Theis (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Dr Andre Kaplan (A.Kaplan.email@example.com ).
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working
Research Fellow In Synthetic Organic Chemistry School Of Chemistry 98280 Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Fellow in Synthetic Organic Chemistry - School of Chemistry - 98280 - Grade 7 - (210001RJ) Description Position Details School of Chemistry in the College of Engineering and Physical Scie...
Research Fellow Embodied Timing And Disability In Dj Practice Grade 7 98263, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Fellow - Embodied Timing and Disability in DJ Practice - Grade 7 - 98263 - (210001SX) Description Position Details School of Languages, Cultures, Art History and Music University of Birmi...
Research Associate Institute Of Metabolism And Systems Research 98508 Grade 6 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Associate - Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research - 98508 - Grade 6 - (2100020B) Description Position Details Centre for Systems Modelling & Quantitative Biomedicine, Institute of...
Research Associate Institute Of Metabolism And Systems Research 98506 Grade 6 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Associate - Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research - 98506 - Grade 6 - (2100020C) Description Position Details Centre for Systems Modelling & Quantitative Biomedicine, Institute of...
Research Fellow Clean Cold Chain School Of Chemical Engineering 98376 Grade 7 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Fellow - Clean Cold Chain - School of Chemical Engineering - 98376 - Grade 7 - (210001VB) Description RESEARCH FELLOW – CLEAN COLD CHAIN – 98376 – 2 POSTS AVAILABLE Position Details Scho...
Research Fellow (Mtbi) School Of Psychology 98386 Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Research Fellow (MTBI) - School of Psychology - 98386 - Grade 7 - (210001V0) Description Position Details School of Psychology, College of Life and Environmental Sciences Location: University of B...