Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The starting salary will be from £35,211 up to £43.267 on Grade F, depending on qualifications and experience.
Generous holiday allowances, flexible working, pension scheme and relocation package (if applicable).
College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences
This EPSRC and DSTL funded post is available from 1 April 2019 and for the duration of 3 yearsto work on imaging and tracking of objects/people through scattering media, exploiting speckle correlations to extract the information hidden in the scattered light.
The University of Exeter is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities. We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, and have achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017. The University of Exeter has over 22,000 students and 4600 staff from 180 different countries and has been rated the WhatUni2017 International Student Choice. Our research focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today, with 98% of our research rated as being of international quality in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. We encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students.
The project will have a more theoretical part, where the technique and the numerical tools will be developed, and an experimental part where the technique will be applied to both micro and macroscopic objects, starting with simple proof-of-concepts in the lab and arriving to real world applications. The project will build on previous work done in the group about speckle correlations, and its final goal is to develop a technology able to image people without a direct line of sight ("around the corner") and track the movement of objects behind a scattering obstacle (e.g. a thin wall). You will be knowledgeable about light scattering, imaging, and have the ability to learn both new Physics and new experimental techniques.
The post will include: the design and alignment of optical experiments, the implementation of numerical calculations (both to simulate the experiments and to reconstruct the desired images from the data), and the presentation of research progresses both internally and externally (e.g. at conferences).
You will be able to develop research objectives, projects and proposals; identify sources of research funding and contribute to the process of securing funds and make presentations at conferences and other events.
- Possess a relevant PhD or equivalent qualification/experience in a related field of study
- Be a nationally recognised authority in optics, photonics, or a closely related area
- Possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop research programmes and methodologies
- Be able to work collaboratively, supervise the work of others and act as team leader as required
- Be able to design and align optics experiments
- A good understanding of optics (including Fourier optics) is required, and experience with light scattering phenomena is desirable
Candidates with no experience in experimental optics/photonics will not be considered for this position.
To view the Job Description and Person Specification document please click here.
What we can offer you
- Freedom (and the support) to pursue your intellectual interests and to work creatively across disciplines to produce internationally exciting research
- Support teams that understand the University wide research and teaching goals and partner with our academics accordingly
- An Innovation, Impact and Business directorate that works closely with our academics providing specialist support for external engagement and development
- Our Exeter Academic initiative supporting high performing academics to achieve their potential and develop their career
- A multitude of staff benefits including sector leading benefits around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), Paternity leave (up to 6 weeks full pay), and a new Fertility Treatment Policy
For further information please contactDr Jacopo Bertolotti email@example.com or telephone (01392) 72.
The University of Exeter is an equal opportunity employer. We are officially recognised as a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
Postdoctoral Research Associate / Research Fellow, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, about 17 hours ago
S66901 Postdoctoral Research Associate/Research Fellow College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences Living Systems Institute This full-time post is available immediately on a fixed te...
Research Assistant, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Job description Job summary This is an exciting opportunity for a Research Assistant to provide research support to the internationally recognised research laboratory led by Professor Wendy Barcla...
Clinical Research Fellow, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Job description Job summary Applications are invited for a research-focused clinician with an interest to expand their knowledge of respiratory medicine. As Clinical Research Fellow you will to wo...
Research Associate, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Job description Job summary We are seeking outstanding candidates with expertise in image processing, deep learning and machine learning. The ideal candidate be an expert in convolutional neural n...
Research Assistant/Associate, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Job description Job summary An opportunity has arisen to join the secretariat of The Vaccine Impact Modelling Consortium (VIMC); a major collaborative initiative based within the MRC Centre for ...
Teaching Fellow, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Job description Job summary We are looking for enthusiastic and meticulously organised applicants, with a background in epidemiology, public health, global health or biostatistics to join us as Te...