College of Engineering Mathematics and Physical Sciences
This full-time, Innovate UK funded post, is available immediately on a fixed term basis until 28th February 2023.
The College wishes to recruit a Postdoctoral Research Fellow to support the work of Professor Ed Keedwell and industrial partners City Science in the Hyper-heuristic Optimisation for Advanced Zero Carbon Public Transport Planning project. The successful applicant will be involved in the research and development of hyper-heuristic tools for optimising the planned design and operation of zero-carbon public transport systems.
The post will involve the investigation of existing simulation and optimisation approaches to transportation and energy network infrastructure and planning, identifying the most appropriate approaches and performing gap analysis on the literature; developing appropriate optimisation methods and assisting in the writing of scholarly publications.
This role offers the opportunity for blended working with the expectation that the role holder would come into the office/ on campus an average of 2 to 3 days per week. There is also the possibility for full remote working. This is open to discussion with the successful candidate.
- be able to develop research objectives, projects and proposals; identify sources of research funding and contribute to the process of securing funds and make presentations at conferences and other events.
- possess a relevant PhD or equivalent qualification/experience in a related field of study and be a nationally recognised authority in Computer Science and possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop research programmes and methodologies.
- be able to work collaboratively, supervise the work of others and act as team leader as required.
- be able to program in a high-level language (preferably C++ or Python), carry out literature reviews and write reports and have an established level of experience working with optimisation applied to transportation, energy or similar problems.
Please ensure you read the Job Description and Person Specification for full details of this role by clicking on the attachment above.
The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019). We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, achieving a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017.
Our research income in recent years means we’re the fastest growing UK Research University with some of the world’s most influential scientists, and we seek to answer some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today through this. 98% of our research is of international quality (2014 Research Excellence Framework). We encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students. Exeter is one of only a few UK cities to have been designated as a UNESCO Creative City . In 2019, Devon was voted as having the best quality of life of anywhere in England and Wales, making it a popular choice for both work and study.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
With over 27,000 students and 6,400 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment where our diversity is celebrated and valued as a major strength. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where all members of our community are supported to thrive; where diverse voices are heard through our engagement with evidence-based charter frameworks for gender (Athena SWAN), race equality (Race Equality Charter Mark), LGBTQ+ inclusion (Stonewall Diversity Champion) and as a Disability Confident employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented within our working community. Reasonable adjustments are available for interviews and workplaces.
What we can offer you
- Freedom (and the support) to pursue your intellectual interests and to work creatively across disciplines to produce internationally exciting research;
- Support teams that understand the University wide research and teaching goals and partner with our academics accordingly
- An Innovation, Impact and Business directorate that works closely with our academics providing specialist support for external engagement and development
- Our Exeter Academic initiative supporting high performing academics to achieve their potential and develop their career
- A multitude of staff benefits including sector leading benefits around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), Paternity leave (up to 6 weeks full pay), and a new Fertility Treatment Policy
- A beautiful campus set in the heart of stunning Devon.
For further information please contact Professor Ed Keedwell, e-mail E.C.Keedwell@ex.ac.uk or telephone (01392) 724014.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow , University of Exeter ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
College of Engineering, Mathematics & Physical Sciences The above full-time post is available immediately, on a fixed term basis, from 01 Apr 2022 to 31 Mar 2024. The post We wish to recruit a Pos...
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (Pta) Scholarship In Criminology (Within The Department Of Sociology, Philosophy And Anthropology) , University of Exeter ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The PTA scholarship enables you to undertake a PhD programme in Sociology. You will also be employed as a Postgraduate Teaching Assistant in Criminology, within the department of Sociology, Philos...
Research Associate Or Assistant In Mathematical Immunology, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Job description Job summary We are seeking two scientists to join our team of Mathematical Immunologists at Imperial College London under the guidance of Prof Becca Asquith. We will consider appli...
Research Associate Vaccinology Research, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Job summary This is an exciting opportunity to work on understanding the effect of antigenic imprinting (also called “original antigenic sin”) on immune responses to influenza infections and how t...
Clinical Research Fellows (8 Positions), Imperial College London, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Job description Job summary We are seeking to appoint eight Clinical Research Fellows, who will be involved in a major research project in digital health, technological innovation, patient safety ...
Graduate Research Assistant Or Postdoctoral Research Associate , University of Exeter ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
This NIHR funded full-time post is available immediately for 18 months. The post The College of Medicine and Health wishes to recruit a Graduate Research Assistant/Postdoctoral Research Associate ...