DEPARTMENT Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
ORGANIZATION NAME Temp Researcher Internal Fund
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
Applications from recent PhD holders in the area of Embedded Systems design and Instrumentation are sought to support an interdisciplinary project funded by Khalifa University between the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering departments to develop a multisensory system.
The appointment will be for 34 months and starts by September 2020. The project’s aim is to substitute the actual costly chemical-based facility used for oil-water de-emulsification with a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution, which consists of smart sensors and actuators, embedding state of the art algorithms of AI and machine learning. Real-time performance, accuracy of measurement, and separation efficiency would be the main target features of the system. Therefore, the successful candidate is expected to have a proven track record and leadership capability in hardware design (both digital on either FPGA, DSP, or GPU platforms, and sensor systems design), real-time programming, and hardware-software co-design. Even though the main target is to deploy the technology in oil fields to boost the oil production throughput at a lower cost, other applications, which require real-time de-emulsification processes, such as in food and pharmaceutical industries, can take advantage of the technology, which is sought to be developed throughout the project. The post holder will be located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The key strategic roles of the successful candidate would be to:
- Design and troubleshoot embedded hardware systems
- Design, troubleshoot, verify, and validate embedded software
- Coordinate different parts of the project with other postgraduate and undergraduate students
- Disseminate results through high-quality scientific publications
- Attract other funds (internal and external funds) related to the project
- Implement testing tools to assess the performance of the system
The key operational roles of the successful candidate would be to:
- Modify the existing multiphase flow loop to host experiments representative of an actual oil field
- Conduct extensive experiments on a multiphase flow loop for various fractions of oil, water, and gas to assess the performance of the sensors and actuators
- Process collected data using state of the art AI and machine learning algorithms
- Design embedded hardware system according to the certifications requirements of the zones where it is expected to be deployed
- Troubleshoot and perform extensive offline and online testing of the embedded hardware
- Ensure continuous maintenance and upgrade of the Multiphase flow loop
- Provide guidance of undergraduate, MSc, and PhD students who work on the project
- PhD Degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Track research record in Embedded Systems design (both hardware and software design on FPGA, DSP, and/or GPU platforms is highly desired) and Sensor Systems design is highly desired.
- Familiarity with FEM tools such as Comsol is highly desired.
HOW TO APPLY
A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae )?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Computer Science: Semantic Technologies And Data Science With..., University of Oslo, Norway, 26 days ago
SIRIUS is a Centre for Research-based Innovation in Scalable Data Access in the Oil & Gas Domain. It is located at and led by the University of Oslo. The aim of the project is to develop new knowl...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Biostatistics/Epidemiology (Ref 200071), University of Oslo, Norway, about 7 hours ago
The position is part of a large project, "Exposure-related risks of cancer in Norwegian offshore petroleum workers", led by drs. Tom K Grimsrud and Jo S Stenehjem at the Cancer Registry of Norway ...
Ph D Fellow In Integrated Drift Modelling And Remote Sensing For Coastal Environmental Monitoring, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway, 10 days ago
The position The Department of Physics and Technology at UiT The Arctic University of Norway announces a vacant position of a 3-year PhD fellow in the area of satellite remote sensing and drift mo...
Ph.D Fellowship In Petroleum Technology, University of Stavanger, Norway, 21 days ago
Job description The University of Stavanger invites applicants for a Ph.D fellowship in Petroleum Technology at the Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Energy and Petroleum Engineerin...
Post Doctoral Fellowship In Artificial Lift / Production Optimization, FAPESP - São Paulo Research Foundation, Brazil, 26 days ago
The Energy Production and Innovation Center (EPIC) has opened a call for applicants for fellowship opportunities funded by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) in the area of Artificial Lift...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Mineral Processing Of Metallurgically Processed Bauxite Tailings Iv 65/21, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 17 days ago
This is NTNU At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students. We are looking for dedicated employees to join us. You will find more...