Cardiff Business School
Operational and Process Excellence Specialist (Graduate or Post Graduate - Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate post)
You will be working on an exciting, two year project delivering significant change at WJEC, Wales’ largest qualifications provider and a key institution in the education landscape. As an experienced improvement practitioner, your role will focus on the development, implementation, and integration of business and process improvement activities across the entire organisation. As this is a Knowledge Transfer Project, you will have regular and easy access to world leading academic faculty to advise you on how to best achieve the transformation required within this complex, changing environment. Therefore, this post will provide you with the opportunity to expand your knowledge of Continuous Improvement and Lean whilst achieving organisational improvement which is of importance across the UK as well as nationally in Wales .
Key deliverables of the role would be:
Provision of process maps along with the development of improvement / action and implementation plans
Develop new processes and practices that are agile and allow quick a response to changes driven by regulators, competitors and the changing educational landscape
Delivery of improved processes using an array of continuous improvement techniques and tools
Deliver training to staff members to support and develop a continuous improvement culture through cultivating business improvement champions
Manage multiple projects with a focus on delivering change that is sustainable based on new practices and processes that are embedded within the organisation
This is a full time position, fixed-term for 24 months. The position will be located at WJEC’s premises in South Wales (Cardiff and Treforest).
Informal enquiries regarding this position should be directed to Dr Dan Eyers (EyersDR@cardiff.ac.uk / 02920 874516). For more information on KTP please visit http://ktp.innovateuk.org
A Supporting Statement or Cover Letter must be completed before you begin making your application on line as you will be required to upload it. The title you give your documents should include your name and the post reference number (four-digit number ending "BR").
Candidates should evidence how they meet all the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable. If candidates do not provide written evidence, in separate supporting document(s), of how they meet all of our essential criteria their application will not be progressed.
This post is full-time and fixed-term for 24 months.
Salary: £28,000 - £30,000 per annum
Date advert posted: Monday, 25 November 2019
Closing date: Tuesday, 31 December 2019
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements. Cardiff Business School is particularly looking to recruit from under-represented groups within the School.
Main Function of Post
Working with the Academic and Company supervisors you will be responsible for the design, development, implementation, and integration of business improvement within the Company.
• To manage the KTP project including maintenance of project plans, organisation of project-related meetings, and relevant administration activities.
• To apply Operations Management principles in the design, development, implementation, and integration of business improvement activities.
• To undertake necessary research and development activities to support the development and integration of innovative business systems.
• To work with stakeholders within the Company and its supply chain in the coordination of systems development activities.
• To develop and manage a personal development plan including completing management training provided by the KTP Scheme.
• To liaise regularly with the academic and company staff, updating them on project progress and planning future direction.
• To ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements in respect of equality and diversity, data protection, copyright and licensing, security, financial and other University policies, procedures and codes as appropriate.
• To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and of other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, EC directives and the University’s Safety, Health and Environment Policies and Procedures and to cooperate with the University on any legal duties placed on it as the employer.
• You may be asked to perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role
Expertise / Competence/Skills
1. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
2. Strong problem solving skills with evidence of analytical approaches
3. Good project management skills; ability to lead and manage change
4. Excellent presentation skills
5. Professional approach to the conduct of work. Ability to work independently and be a team player
6. Undergraduate or postgraduate degree (2:1) in a related subject area (e.g. Business Management, Operations Management, Manufacturing or Service Management etc).
7. Proven ability to deliver training
8. A demonstrable understanding of fundamental operations and process management principles
9. A demonstrable ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders with a good understanding of supply chain management practices
10. Previous experience of working in a manufacturing or service environment
1. Experience of undertaking or leading process improvement activities
2. Awareness of agility and its impact on operations.
3. Experience in the writing of publications for academic and practitioner audiences.
4. Demonstrable experience of effective implementation of process improvement in a manufacturing or service environment.
5. Postgraduate qualification in a related subject
6. Operational Excellence Certification (e.g. Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification)
7. Welsh Language
Cardiff Business School
Cardiff Business School is widely regarded as one of the leading business and management schools in the UK, ranked 6th in the UK for the quality of its research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). We educate over 3,500 students annually, including over 1,500 international students. Cardiff Business School has an international faculty of world-leading scholars. Our research reputation has helped us become an attractive centre of scholarship for colleagues from the UK and beyond. As the world’s first Public Value Business School, Cardiff Business School has a commitment to delivering societal as well as economic value though the undertaking of world leading inter-disciplinary research addressing the grand challenges facing communities, business and organizations.
WJEC/ CBAC Ltd
WJEC is a leading awarding organisation which has its origins in the former Welsh Joint Education Committee, established in 1948. With nearly 70 years' experience in delivering qualifications, WJEC is the largest provider in Wales and a leading provider in England and Northern Ireland. The organisation has a turnover of over £40m and employs approximately 400 staff, the majority of whom are located in modern offices on the edge of the city of Cardiff.
WJEC CBAC Limited is now a registered charity (no. 1073332) and a company limited by guarantee (no. 03150875), owned by all 22 local authorities in Wales and managed by a Board of Directors. The organisation also has a subsidiary company, WJEC CBAC (Services) Limited, which provides specialist printing and distribution services.
The Associate will be employed by Cardiff University for the duration of the KTP but will be mostly based at the company. The work will be supervised by staff both at the company sites and at Cardiff University.
Holidays - Annual leave is subject to agreement with your Head of School and the industrial /company partner. The entitlement will normally be that of staff employed on site by the industrial/company partner.
Pension – NEST Pension Scheme.
Hours – The required hours per week will be that of staff employed on site by the industrial/company partner. This post is full time. The overtime arrangements will be that of staff employed on site by the industrial /company partner.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
A KTP is one of the UK’s largest graduate recruitment programmes which provides over 300 graduate job opportunities each year. By joining you will be able to manage and deliver challenging strategic projects for a business, while being supported by the University. You will be based at the company on a full-time basis but jointly supervised by an academic member of staff for the duration of the project.
By working on a KTP programme, Cardiff University alumni can take advantage of the following benefits:
Fast track career development opportunities
A competitive salary
Employment within chosen academic discipline
Working both with academia and industry
Training and development opportunities - personal training and development budget (£1,500 pa)
Register for a higher degree during the project
Access to a wide range of our facilities including laboratories and library services.
Further information on how you can benefit from a KTP opportunity can be found at the National KTP website .
Academic - Research
Senior Lecturer Or Reader In Data Science/Statistics (Ons), School of Mathematics, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
Application Link: https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&PageType=searchResults&SearchType=linkquery&LinkID=6#jobDetails=1594225_5460 Senio...
Manager Assessment Research And Design , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
Manager Assessment Research and Design An initial 12-month Fixed Term contract, full-time, 37.5 hours per week Salary: £38,500 - £42,000 per annum depending on experience IB Global Centre, Cardiff...
Ddarlithydd, Ba (Hons) Astudiaethau Cynradd Gyda Sac U011094, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, about 1 hour ago
The Faculty of Life Sciences and Education, School of Education, Early Years and Social Work has an exciting opportunity for a primary school teacher, lecturer or senior leader with Welsh language...
Admissions, Recruitment And Retention Officer Pgce, The Open University, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Admissions, Recruitment and Retention Officer – PGCE Wales Faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies Grade 5 Salary £23,067 - £25,941 Ref: 11111 Based in Cardiff, Part time role (0.7FTE...
Alumni Volunteering Officer U011084, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, about 1 hour ago
As the University of South Wales embarks on a new strategic vision, we seek an enthusiastic Alumni Volunteering Officer to help devise and deliver a step change in how the University works with an...
Senior Lecturer (Cyber Security) U009156, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, about 1 hour ago
Cyber Security at the University of South Wales is an exciting and rapidly expanding area. The growth of the National Cyber Security Academy in Newport, and the Thales National Digital Exploitatio...