View Vacancy -- Mechanical Technician - MGU 1499
MRC Harwell Institute
MRC Harwell Institute is an international biological research centre at the forefront of the use of mammalian models to study genetics and human diseases. Located on the Harwell Campus, just south of Oxford, it is nestled amongst a vibrant community of leading science organisations. We aim to advance medicine through cutting-edge research into the genetic basis of disease. Our research programmes span an entire lifetime, from embryonic development to diseases of ageing. There are over 300 staff at the Institute made up of research scientists, technicians, animal carers, and business support personnel.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 5
Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
£25,198 - £30,762 (depending on experience)
Overtime and on-call allowance
Technical & Scientific Professionals
To assist in the carrying out of mechanical repairs, maintenance and installation work in accordance to industry standards. To work in a safe manner at all times adhering to the Health and Safety at Work Regulations to maintain a safe working environment.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Reactive, preventative, predictive and reliability centred maintenance
- Routine plant and boiler checks
- Carry out legionella monitoring and preventative measures which includes system flushing, temperature tests, water sampling and storage vessel inspections (Legionella ‘responsible person’ training will be given)
- The operation and maintenance of the estate’s mechanical services (HVAC, DWS, steam, compressed air, other piped services and associated plant)
- Fault finding and carrying out breakdown repairs as and when necessary
- Attend call outs on equipment such as autoclaves and washers in the MLC robot area (training will be given)
- Installation of small project works
- Use the Planet FM software via a mobile device for work requests and planned and preventative maintenance
- Ensuring that all work carried out on the MRC estate is completed in an effective and professional manner and that all current Health & Safety and technical legislation is adhered to, including:
- Risk assessments and method statements (produced by in-house staff)
- Safe systems of work (permits/isolation procedures/hot works/testing and re-commissioning)
- Ensure that works are completed to a high standard and in a timely fashion, so as to reduce their impact upon scientific programmes
- Accept training in future developments and technologies as required; take on additional nominated person responsibilities as required
- Mentoring and development of team members (including the support of Apprentices)
- Champion the Engineering & Estates service in a positive manner
- Deliver a high level of customer service
- Attend appropriate training to support the role and service delivery
- Required to be on-call during silent hours as part of a planned rota; (only after completing a familiarisation period and management approval)
- Procure materials, components and spares
- First aider (training will be given)
Colleagues, Scientists, Senior Managers, Programme Leaders, external contractors
Equality & Diversity:
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives and that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equalities and diversity leadership and management.
Corporate/Local responsibilities & requirements:
The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of Conduct
- Equality and Diversity policy
- Health and Safety policy
- Data Protection and Security policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between the post holder and their manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and the job holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- City & Guilds levels 2 & 3 (or an NVQ accredited equivalent) in a mechanical engineering discipline (HVAC/pipefitting/plumbing etc) or proven skills and relevant experience.
- Proven experience in the building services industry
Previous work experience required:
- Experience of fault finding in heating, ventilation and mechanical plant systems
- Knowledge of safety legislation
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- UK Driving license
- Maintaining & fault finding on steam systems
- F-gas training
- Asbestos awareness trained
Knowledge and experience:
- Good working knowledge of HVAC and mechanical services engineering practices
- Sound knowledge of piped distribution systems and operational theory
- Knowledge of safety legislation
- Basic understanding of BEMS (Building Energy Management Systems)
- Basic knowledge of CAFM systems
- Basic understanding of Document L8 and its practical application
Conscientiousness, self-motivated, punctual, team player, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with minimal supervision, ability to work in a methodical and structure way, confidence in dealing with suppliers and service users
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 31 March 2021
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Scientific Specialist In Cryo Electron Microscopy , MRC Harwell ;, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Salary: £32,005 - £35,143 pa, plus up to a £4,000 annual allowance (depending on experience) Location: Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire Contract Type: Permanent We are seeking an enthusiastic Cryo-Elec...
Laboratory And Facility Assistant , University of Oxford ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
Radcliffe Department of Medicine, MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford Grade 5: £25,941 - £30,942 p.a. We are...
Laboratory And Phenotyping Technician , MRC - Mary Lyon Centre ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic Laboratory and Phenotyping Technician to provide a cross team service in the clinical pathology lab at our Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire. Do you have: A levels or equi...
Laboratory Technician, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
We are seeking a Laboratory Technician to be based in the MRC Human Immunology Unit (HIU) in the Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine at the John Radcliffe Hospital site. The postholder will...
Laboratory And Facility Assistant, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 11 hours ago
We are seeking a Laboratory and Facility Assistant to support the daily operation of the MRC Molecular Haematology Unit (MHU). You will be managing and ensuring the smooth day to day running of th...
Electrical Design Engineer , Diamond Light Source ;, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Harwell, Oxfordshire / Some home working available Full time or part time considered About Us Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce ...