Manager Research Computing Infrastructure - RC Infrastructure
The Manager RC Infrastructure is responsible providing the highest quality, leading edge research computing and IT services, support and infrastructure to the University's faculty and their research groups. The manager will maintain the plans for research computing architecture to ensure the appropriate capacity, capabilities, and infrastructure are available to support the University's research initiatives.
Key Roles & ResponsibilitiesStrategic Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of the Department's strategy, as well as annual business plans
- Contribute to the development of the Department's policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence
- Contribute to the development and management of the Department’s budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly
- Oversee research computing systems administration, high-performance networking, security, Tier 2 support, documentation and other responsibilities
- Review storage and backup, high-performance and / or high-throughput computing and related requirements for research center labs
- Determine and / or review specifications for centrally-managed equipment purchases and backup approaches created to deliver the services defined by the lab requirements for periodic equipment refresh cycles
- Oversee the procurement process for all specified, centrally-managed research computing equipment, including both hardware and software
- Manages research computing vendor relationships and regularly reviews the latest products and approaches that pertain to the University’s research labs or research needs
- Direct the process of installing, configuring, and testing procured research computing equipment, including network interconnects, prior to the launch or modification of production services
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of user, technical and procedural documentation for all centrally-managed systems
- Maintain support contracts and initiates support for all centrally-managed infrastructure when necessary
- Partner with Ankabut staff to establish and carry out appropriate monitoring for server room equipment
- Develop and manages information security procedures pertinent to research computing
- Develop and manages information security procedures pertinent to research computing equipment in the server room and possibly elsewhere
- Ensure proper maintenance of inventories of the University’s research computing equipment and associated software licenses
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs
2. Job Purpose
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related scientific or IT related field (Electrical, astrophysics, life sciences, computational chemistry, as well as computational sciences, mathematics, physics etc.)
- Good programming skills in at least one high-level programming language (C, C++, Fortran) and at least one scripting language (bash, Python, Perl, etc.).
- Experience in Parallel Programming (e.g. MPI, OpenMP, CUDA) and performance analysis, libraries and tools.
- Experience of HPC environments and schedulers (LSF, PBS, Slurm, modules, lmod…).
- Experience with compilation techniques and usage methodologies of a range of scientific, technical, research focused applications.
- Proven experience of system administration of HPC clusters, and Linux based systems.
- Experience of system administration and management of storage systems, and parallel file systems.
- Experience of system administration big data systems (HADOOP, SPARK etc.) is desirable.
- Proven experience providing technical support to a user base with a wide range of experience and skill levels.
- Experience working in a higher education environment would be desirable.
- Good presentation skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of a team.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job Type: Full-time
Scientific Computing Support, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Arab Emirates, 30 days ago
5 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KHALIFA UNIVERSITY Research Field Chemistry Mathematics Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Un...
Research Scientist In High Performance Computing (Hpc), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 14 days ago
20 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Luxembourg Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4) Established ...
Application Specialist, Hpc, CSC – IT Center for Science, Finland, 23 days ago
11 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company CSC – IT Center for Science Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Count...
Engineer Research And Teaching Solutions , University of Otago, New Zealand, about 3 hours ago
Engineer Research and Teaching Solutions -2300864 RESEARCH AND TEACHING IT SUPPORT INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES About our team/Mō te tīma The University of Otago is a research-intensive Univers...
Senior Hpc System Manager At Pdc, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Job description PDC is expanding its group of system administrators. The new system manager will take a central role in the system administrator team (which consists of about eight people), runnin...
Senior Systems Engineer (Dev Ops), Harvard University, United States, 28 days ago
03-May-2023 Harvard University Information Technology 62436BR Position Description Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed...