- Full time Continuing position, located on the Camden Campus at the School of Veterinary Science
- Opportunity to teach, research and engage with the school ranked #2 in the Southern Hemisphere and #22 globally
- Base Salary Level B/C $113,184 p.a. - $159,867 p.a. + 17% superannuation + generous loading for registered specialist
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology. Working under the broad direction of the Associate Head for Veterinary Clinical Sciences you will provide leadership and coordination, delivery, and assessment of veterinary pathology.
The Lecturer (Level B)/Senior Lecturer (Level C) will be based predominantly on the Camden campus with close integration with the three Camden based veterinary teaching hospitals and the production animal health and disease research groups, in particular. Regular attendance at the Sydney campus will also be required.
The UVTHC provides a range of large and small animal veterinary services to the community and referring veterinarians. As a teaching facility it also provides clinical instruction to final year veterinary students, and offers a number of postgraduate residency training programs.
This is an opportunity to take a leading role in the faculty's teaching and research initiatives in the area of farm animal anatomical pathology, and provide high quality diagnostic support for farm and companion animal anatomical pathology.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- oversee and further develop the UVTHC pathology clinical and teaching services
- co-ordinate veterinary pathology teaching and training to final year undergraduate students engaged in small group UVTHC rotations, and participate in further expansion of a residency training program across the pathology services of both campuses
- liaise and support selected diagnostic work with external veterinarians (food safety)
- maintain reputation for academic excellence
- maintain a research profile which meets University expectation and standard and enhance the reputation of the School, including, success in competitive research grants and other research income generation, publications in peer-reviewed international journals
- ensure outstanding teaching and learning outcome
- coordinate and develop curricula and program within the School
- coordinate and engage in high-quality teaching and learning experience which meet the University's expectations and standards for education.
Since the founding of veterinary science in 1910, the mission of the Sydney School of Veterinary Science (SSVS) has been to provide the nation's best training in the health, welfare, and conservation of animals. The School is internationally accredited with the American Veterinary Medical Association, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (UK) and the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council. Veterinary science at Sydney is ranked 2nd in the Southern Hemisphere and 22nd in the world, according to the QS World University Subject Rankings 2022, and is rated 5/5 for research in the Australian Government's 2018 Excellence in Research for Australia. Its Camden campus provides access to an extensive network of farms and research units, including pig, poultry and aquaculture facilities, veterinary diagnostic, pathology and imaging services, and dedicated research laboratory infrastructure.
To learn more about the Sydney School of Veterinary Science click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology who has:
- a PhD or specialist qualification in the area of Veterinary Pathobiology
- a Veterinary Science degree registered to practice in New South Wales
- a demonstrated established track record of publications in research in veterinary pathology
- relevant experience in diagnostic equine, livestock and companion animal pathology
- experience in undergraduate teaching in veterinary pathology
- a willingness to undertake the Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (Higher Education) or a comparable postgraduate course in teaching and learning
- a demonstrated interest in and enthusiasm for production animal pathology research
- excellent communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- advanced organisational and time management skills.
To be considered at Level C you will also have:
- a specialist qualification in anatomical pathology registrable in NSW (desirable at Level C)
- experience in postgraduate teaching in veterinary pathology
- demonstrated track record in preparing teaching material
- evidence of a record of having successfully supervised postgraduate students
- an outstanding record of research achievement demonstrated by publications in the international literature
- a demonstrated ability to attract research funding.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate's skills, experience, and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People , women , people living with a disability , people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds , and those who identify as LGBTIQ . We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Wednesday 12 October 2022 11:59 PM
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer /Associate Professor (Wildlife And Avian Medicine), University of Sydney, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Full time Continuing position, located on the Camden Campus at the Sydney School of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney Opportunity to teach veterinary and animal science students, conduct re...
Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
Print this page Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Job description Are you interested in faci...
Veterinarian In Companion Animal Clinical Anaesthesiology (0.8 1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
Print this page veterinarian in companion animal clinical anaesthesiology (1,0 FTE) Veterinarian in companion animal clinical anaesthesiology (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) Job description Are you a veterinarian...
Lecturer In Applied Animal Health, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 10 days ago
Kia hiwa rā! At Unitec, we're passionate about the power of education to positively change the lives of our students, their whānau, and the wider hapori. We make sure our learners are well equippe...
Teaching Assistant Professor Of Companion Animal Emergency & Critical Care, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 8 hours ago
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences invites applications for a full-time position as teaching assistant professor from 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter. You will be par...
Veterinary Technician Ii (Lawrenceville Field Station), Emory University, United States, 16 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...