FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND AGRICULTURAL BIOTECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE (FABI)
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (ONE POST) (TWO YEAR CONTRACT)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent’s responsibilities will include:
- Joining a world class team of researchers working in the field of plant health and productivity in the Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute (FABI);
- Associating with the Department of Zoology and Entomology or Department of Biochemistry, Genetics and Microbiology;
- Undertaking goal directed research as an Entomologist and supervising postgraduate students in these fields;
- Contributing to undergraduate and honours teaching in the associated Department;
- Participating as a member of the FABI Management Committee;
- Participating in the activities of other Entomology related research teams within FABI and contributing to the effective operation of the Institute;
- Engaging with a broad range of stakeholders linked to the Institute including international collaborators, local government and industry (including extension), as well as funding organisations that provide external support for FABI’s research.
- A relevant PhD degree;
- Teaching and research experience with an established publication record in leading international journals that demonstrates research at a high international standard;
- Specialisation in Insect Molecular Biology or related fields with applications relevant to Forestry and Agriculture;
- Evidence of the ability to gain a NRF rating in the near future.
Senior Lecturer (Same as for Lecturer, plus):
- Evidence of current and completed postgraduate student supervision at MSc and PhD levels;
- A current NRF rating;
- Successful acquisition of research funding.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- The ability to inspire students;
- Commitment to working in a strong multidisciplinary research team and addressing grand challenges in Agriculture and Forestry;
- The ability to teach classes effectively;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A research focus on the molecular genetics of insect pests of plants and preferably forestry species;
- Experience in working with emerging technologies in the field of insect molecular genetics such as gene editing technologies (e.g. CRISPR-Cas) and molecular based insect identifications;
- Experience in engaging a broad range of academic and non-academic stakeholders and fundraising experience.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za , and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 13 December 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Ms KM Seerane, Tel: (012) 420 5760 for application-related enquiries, and Prof B Slippers, Tel: (012) 420 2463 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 29 February 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
Professor In Crop Production Ecology With Specialization In Weed Ecology And Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 23 hours ago
Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences Department of Crop Production Ecology SLU is recruiting a professor who shares our aspirations to be world leading within the area of weed ec...
An Integrated Approach To The Challenge Of Sustainable Food Systems: Adaptation And Mitigation..., Università di Firenze, Italy, 21 days ago
Within the SYSTEMIC project, the candidate will carry out mainly technical-scientific support activities. In particular, he/she will monitor the performance of the activities foreseen by the proje...
Researcher Insect Specific Viruses, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Are you a ambitious researcher and a connecting person willing to collaborate with companies in the field of biological control? Are you interested in unraveling the mechanisms underlying transmis...
Endowed Chair In Forest Growth & Yield Assistant/Associate Professor , University of Alberta, Canada, about 16 hours ago
The Department of Renewable Resources, in the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences, University of Alberta, Canada, invites applications for a candidate to serve as the Endowed Ch...
Associate Research Scientist In Vector Biology (Ref. No. Care C Arsvb 20 10), The Cyprus Institute, Cyprus, 22 days ago
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary...
Scientist In Population Genetics/Molecular Biology, Polo d'Innovazione Genomica Genetica e Biologia SCARL, Italy, 19 days ago
PoloGGB is a non-profit public-private partnership operating in the field of Genetics, Ecology, Genomics and Bioinformatics fields. PoloGGB is one of the key partners of Target Malaria, a research...