View All Vacancies
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £37,505 to £40,766 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We invite applications to join our integrated teaching and research teams in Birmingham City University’s School of Engineering and the Built Environment at Lecturer level. Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the School is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching, and industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the School of Engineering and Built Environment has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investment.
We invite applications to join our Civil Engineering team in the School of Engineering and Built Environment. For this role we are considering applicants with both industry and research experience .
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Assist in the supervision of student projects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in leading academic journals, and develop bids and partnerships for research funding.
- Contribute to the design and development of high quality, up-to-date Civil Engineering courses.
- Contribute to the administration and development of the course provision within the School.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Engage in reflective practice as a method for identifying inhibitors and facilitators to performance.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in a Civil Engineering-related topic, or significant industrial experience.
- High-level knowledge, skill, and expertise in any area of Civil Engineering, such as Structural Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, Highways Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or Civil Engineering Surveying
- Experience with use of appropriate national and international design standards, such as the British Standard or the Eurocodes, depending on the discipline.
- Eligible for Chartered Engineer status with a Civil Engineering-related professional body, such as ICE, IStructE, IHE, CHIT, or CICES.
- Excellent presentation and teaching skills, as demonstrated by Higher Education teaching experience or regular presentations to industry
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Chartered Engineer status with a Civil Engineering-related professional body, such as ICE, IStructE, IHE, CHIT, or CICES, or EurIng equivalent.
- Industry experience with a UK-based Civil Engineering consultant or contractor.
- Post-doctoral research experience
- A strong record of research, as evidence by high quality research publications
- Higher Education teaching experience
- Knowledge of specialised software, relevant to the specific Civil Engineering area
For an informal discussion of the post, please email Panagiotis Patlakas, Course Leader for Civil Engineering at email@example.com .
Expressions of interest in fractional appointments by practitioners will be considered.
As part of your application, please attach your CV, Covering Letter and Highest Qualification. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 15 NOVEMEBR 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Associate Dean Research And Enterprise, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Salary: Competitive Salary Closing Date: Wednesday 25 November 2020 Interview Date: To be c...
Associate Dean Research And Enterprise , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Interview Date: To be confirmed Our university has a deserved reputation as a vibrant, ambitious and successful institution. The investment of over £300M ...
Managing Director, Precision Health Technologies Accelerator 96548 Grade 10, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 17 hours ago
Managing Director, Precision Health Technologies Accelerator - 96548 - Grade 10 - (200002T0) Description Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full Time Salary: Competitive ...
Recruitment Co Ordinator (Faculty Of Science And Engineering), University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department Directorate of Recruitment and Partnerships Salary £31,865 - £34,803 pa We are seeking a confident, organised individual, with experience within th...
Quality Assurance Officer , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time/part time: Full time Duration: Fixed Term Contract to 30 September 2023 Grade/band: Grade 7 Salary: As this vacancy has limit...
It Services Product Owner It Services 96576 Grade 8, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 17 hours ago
IT Services Product Owner - IT Services - 96576 - Grade 8 - (200002UM) Description Position Details University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK IT Services Full time starting salary is norm...