Location: London Waterloo
Closing date: 28/11/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Law School -Law School
We are looking for Tutors who can teach Equity & Trusts, Tort law and European Law
We are also looking for Tutors to teach Public Law (Freelance or permanent)
A Law School tutor has the following core areas of responsibility:
- Teaching on a range of law school programmes and subjects as required
- Creating and marking assessment materials
- Contributing to curriculum development work, including scholarship and innovation, planning and evaluation and updating programme materials
- Providing pastoral support and guidance of students and/or skills development coaching on relevant programmes and modules
- Ensuring regulatory compliance with BPP systems and processes
- Contributing to internal and external BPP marketing, business development, outreach and employability activities.
Through this, you will work with and support the faculty in delivering excellence in teaching, materials and pastoral support within a compliant regulatory framework.
BPP University Law School has a reputation for excellence in professional education built on a proven ability to offer students the skills they need to succeed in a legal career. Working with over 150 law firms, BPP prides itself on being at the cutting edge of professional legal education giving students the core skills and a competitive advantage to ensure success.
The Solicitors Regulatory Authority is introducing the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) and the Bar Standards Boards is proposing changes to the Bar Professional Training Course. BPP considers that it is essential that, subject to any regulatory constraints, tutors are able to teach on any programme which BPP offers in the future.
Key Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
Teaching on a range of law school programmes and subjects
- Keep abreast of new developments in relevant areas of law and practice and be a subject matter expert
- Keep abreast of relevant pedagogic methodologies, including undertaking training and development
- Attend regular practice area and module team meetings to ensure uniform delivery of modules in order to ensure successful progression of students between and within programmes and modules
- Prepare for teaching and teach in-classroom and online for specific programmes
- Strive to obtain the highest level of teaching feedback from students
- Work towards attainment of the level 7 PGCPHE or Fellowship of the HEA in accordance with BPP’s learning and teaching strategy from time to time
Creating and marking assessment materials
- Draft relevant formative and summative assessment materials
- Assist with the smooth running of assessments
- Mark formative and summative assessments and giving feedback in accordance with BPP policies
- Attend exam boards as required
Contributing to curriculum development work, including scholarship and innovation, planning and evaluation and updating programme materials
- Keep up to date with developments in law and practice
- Undertake appropriate scholarship activities that contribute to the discipline of professional legal education
- Attend all relevant training in relation to law and practice, course design and innovation
- Update programme and module materials as required
- Create new material in line with current Law School Learning and Teaching and Technology Enhanced Learning strategies
Enhancing the student experience and providing pastoral support and guidance of students
- Provide appropriate academic and pastoral support and guidance to students throughout their academic studies, and ensure students are directed to an appropriate BPP operational services when necessary
- Conduct meetings with personal tutees in accordance with the BPP University Personal Tutoring policy
- Actively encourage student engagement with their programme of study using the available resources
- Be a point of contact for any academic and student queries
- Offer guidance and support for students on making appropriate elective choices
Undertaking the role of a skills development coach for relevant programmes and modules
- Coaching students through the process of collecting evidence, preparing reflective statements and collating evidence for their portfolios
- Reviewing evidence against outcomes, ensuring that students are able to understand how evidence demonstrates the relevant outcomes and assisting students to identify gaps in their evidence
- Reviewing reflections and guiding students to improve reflections
- Helping students to identify and select evidence for inclusion in portfolios
- Arranging meeting as required
- Marking and providing feedback for formative and summative assessments
- Keeping up to date with worked based learning, portfolios and reflection and disseminating best practice
- Liaising at all times with the apprentice’s relevant apprenticeship manager
Ensure regulatory compliance with BPP systems and processes
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of reports and data into all BPP systems and processes as required
- Attend all training to ensure up to date knowledge of BPP systems and processes
Contributing to internal and external BPP marketing, business development, outreach and employability activities
- Contribute to law school education outreach activities
- Engage with and attend pro bono and careers related activities
- Contribute to marketing activities which seek to recruit future BPP students as required
- Contribute to developing BPP contacts in the legal sector and raising awareness of BPP in the legal and business sectors in your region.
Other responsibilities within the remit of the role generally to be agreed from time to time with the Director of Staffing and relevant Head of Law.
The role of a Law School tutor will develop your skills as a professional educator. Training will be offered covering areas such as classroom techniques, marking assessments, developing teaching and assessment materials, university regulations, employability, IT and innovation, BPP systems and processes as required and agreed from time to time. You will be introduced to all the BPP law programmes and the wider BPP organisation.
You will be given the opportunity to acquire a level 7 teaching qualification, the PGCPHE, which you will hold alongside any other professional qualifications you may already have. In addition tutors are offered a wide range of learning and development opportunities such as technical, skills-related, personal management and development and coaching and mentoring, as well as subject specific training relevant to your role. You will have regular appraisals with your line manager at which development opportunities will be discussed.
Tutors are also able to develop in a variety of ways, including the design and development of classroom and online, existing and new modules.
Please refer to the full job description
Law Tutor (Waterloo)
Senior Lecturer In Law (Llm Legal Practice Course) , University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
Senior Lecturer in Law Hertfordshire Law School FTE: 1.0 FTE working 37 hours per week Duration of Contract: Permanent Salary: UH8 £40,322 to £51,034 per annum depending on skills a...
Law055 Lecturer In Law 1 Year Fixed Term Contract, University of West London, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
View All Vacancies School of Law Salary: £40,592 to £46,472 per annum Release Date: Monday 27 July 2020 Closing Date: Sunday 09 August 2020 Interview Date: To be confirmed Reference: LAW055 The Un...
Legal Tutors (Full Time And Sessional) , Anglia Ruskin University, London ;, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Anglia Ruskin University, London (ARUL) is an ambitious, teaching focussed provider of undergraduate and postgraduate education, primarily aimed at a widening participation audience. Based in the...
Lecturer In Law 1 Year Fixed Term Contract , University of West London ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The University of West London is ranked as the top modern University for overall satisfaction according to the National Student Survey 2020. Help us in enabling the training of the next generatio...
Senior Teaching Fellow Science , UCL ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
The successful candidate will initiate, develop, design and be responsible for the delivery of a programme or a range of modules of high quality in accordance with agreed curriculum development in...
Lecturer In Microeconomics , University Paris-Dauphine London Campus ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Dauphine London campus, specialising in Economics and Management, is recruiting an hourly paid Lecturer in Microeconomics, for its Bachelor’s in Economics and Management programme. Dauphine London...