KTP Associate in Thermal Energy Storage Engineering
Cardiff School of Engineering
The Centre for Integrated Renewable Energy Generation and Supply (CIREGS), one of the research groups within Cardiff School of Engineering, is looking to recruit a Research Associate for an exciting project on thermal energy storage.
The project will be looking at low carbon alternatives to air conditioning systems to provide cooling services to buildings. A thermal battery-based solution for district cooling applications capable of shifting cooling loads to periods of the day with less cooling demand will be developed. The solution will be based on phase-change materials (PCMs) and its effectiveness will be demonstrated through the validation of an industrial pilot.
The Associate will be employed by Cardiff University and located in SRS Works Ltd at Wokingham, Berkshire. The successful candidate will play a key role in transferring the academic knowledge related to thermal battery storage to our industrial partner, with the specific aim of gaining access to current and emerging technologies in thermal energy systems and their understanding and applicability for the design of a commercial product.
This KTP project mainly comprises seven stages, which are:
1. Training and development.
2. Development of technical specification for PCM-based thermal battery.
3. Design of hydraulic topologies for PCM-based thermal battery.
4. Simulation of the thermal battery-based topologies in existing cooling applications.
5. Prototype design, manufacture and testing.
6. Optimisation for manufacture and exploitation of economies of scale.
7. Commercial viability and sustainability.
Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) is a Government-supported initiative, enabling graduates to manage strategic projects in a partnership with universities and industry. KTP enables an Associate to:
• Fast-track their career.
• Gain project management skills.
• Become proficient in business practices.
• Be part of a World Class University.
• Get relevant training via a bespoke personal development programme.
• Attain a management qualification and possibly a higher degree.
The post offers bespoke training (both KTP residential training and through the company), mentoring and supervision, as well as travel throughout the UK and Europe.
The post is full-time (hours of work per week will be the standard hours of the industrial partner) and fixed-term starting 1st September 2019 for 30 months.
Location: SRS Works Ltd, Wokingham.
Salary: Up to £38,000 per annum with increment every year depending on performance
Date Posted: Tuesday, 2 July 2019
Closing date: Friday, 2 August 2019
Job ref: 8774BR
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Dr Carolos Ugalde Loo Ugalde-LooC@cardiff.ac.uk
For informal enquires about working at the School of Engineering, Cardiff University please contact Mrs Gaynor James at ENGINadmin@cardiff.ac.uk
The School of Engineering holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award that recognises good employment practice and a commitment to develop the careers of women working in science. Cardiff University is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. For this vacancy we actively encourage women to apply. We will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share opportunities.
SRS Works Ltd provides a full spectrum of products, consultancy, research & development, and solutions to deliver renewable generation to every market. The company designs, supplies and installs solar photovoltaics (PV), solar thermal and energy storage systems. The company is a global distributor of top brands that specialises in core residential energy storage unit solutions, bespoke commercial energy storage solutions, residential and commercial fitting of solar PV, and operations and maintenance services for existing systems (http://www.srsworks.co.uk/ ).
Please NOTE: Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
• To manage the KTP project including maintenance of project plans, and organisation of project-related meetings.
• To develop and manage a personal development plan including completing management training provided by the KTP Scheme.
• To undertake research duties on thermal batteries to develop a technical understanding of the existing solutions on the market.
• To develop the technical specifications for a PCM-based thermal battery and design suitable hydraulic topologies.
• To computationally simulate thermal battery-based topologies in existing cooling applications.
• To support the design, manufacturing and testing of a functional prototype for a thermal battery and help to optimise it.
• To assess the commercial viability and sustainability of a thermal battery.
• To liaise regularly with the academic and company staff, updating them on project progress and planning future direction.
• To ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements in respect of equality and diversity, data protection, copyright and licensing, security, financial and other University policies, procedures and codes as appropriate.
• To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and of other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, EC directives and the University’s Safety, Health and Environment Policies and Procedures and to cooperate with the University on any legal duties placed on it as the employer.
• You may be asked to perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role.
Bachelor’s degree (second-class honours, upper division 2.1 or better) in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or a related subject area preferably with content on systems modelling, energy systems and engineering.
Experience and skills
The ideal Associate needs to have the following experience and skills:
• Industrial experience (either from a sandwich course or previous employment).
• Knowledge in depth across the key areas of this KTP project, i.e., thermal energy systems and modelling; simulation and control of thermal systems.
• Proficiency in the use of MATLAB/Simulink or relevant simulation software.
• Ability to independently solve complex technical problems.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Good team player, enthusiastic self-starter, technically competent, highly motivated individual.
A Master’s or a PhD degree in an appropriate field, including energy systems, systems modelling and control engineering.
Experience and skills
• Experience at leading and supervising a team of industry-based projects.
• Good awareness of commercial realities.
• Knowledge of industrial cooling and heating systems, heat exchanger systems, and industrial plumbing systems.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance, 8774BR.
Research Associate In Homogenisation Of Pd Es, School of Mathematics, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Application Link: https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&jobid=1516896#jobDetails=1516896_5460 Research Associate in Ho...
Graduate Teaching Associate Research Project U10112, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
We offer an exciting Graduate Teaching Associate opportunity in Autonomous Systems within the School of Engineering, supporting graduates in relevant disciplines to develop the skills and experien...
Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH WALES PRIFYSGOL DE CYMRU Faculty of Computing, Engineering & Science Graduate Teaching Associate – Research Project Grade E *£29,515 – £34,189 pro rata per annum Plus full fee ...
Research Assistant U010642, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
The School of Care Sciences, located in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Education at the University of South Wales is investing in and building upon its existing excellence in nursing and midwife...
Senior Research Assistant U005043, University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
The School of Psychology and Therapeutic studies, located in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Education at the University of South Wales is investing in and building upon its existing excellence i...
Hospitality Assistant (U000813), University of South Wales, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
To provide a friendly service and play a part in delivering excellent customer service. To adhere to operating standards at all times relevant to the unit you are working in e.g. food court or caf...