School: School of Mathematics and Physics
Department: Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS
Consisting of five departments, including the Department of Foundational Mathematics, the Department of Applied Mathematics, the Department of Pure Mathematics, the Department of Physics, and the Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, and aiming to develop cutting-edge solutions to challenging problems through world-class research and innovation, the School of Mathematics and Physics is a research-led academic unit. It is the home of 100+ academic staff, 2500+ Undergraduate mathematics students, 200+Master’s students and 60+ Ph.D. students by 2022.
The Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (FAM) is a friendly and academic-inspiring hub for researchers, educators, and students in financial mathematics, actuarial science, and statistics. The department is a well-established education centre for financial mathematics and actuarial science at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The department has diversified research areas with a focus on financial mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, and probability. The department also provides PhD degree education in these research areas.
Reporting to the dean of the School of Mathematics and Physics, the Head of Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics will be responsible for overseeing the strategic direction and operations of the department, as well as managing the department's staff and resources. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in financial mathematics, actuarial science, statistics and probability, as well as experience managing teams and developing effective strategies.
- Strategic and annual planning
- Individual staff work allocation to allow for an appropriate work/life balance
- Budget development and expenditure
- Financial approvals for expenditure from departmental budget
- Ensuring quality and standards are upheld
- Staff appointments; identifying needs, defining the specification and justification, organizing recruitment, overseeing interview panel arrangements, and recommending appointments.
- Formal staff Professional Development Reviews and processes
- Staff disciplinary issues
- Student disciplinary issues and complaints
- Assignments of administrative duties to other staff
- Implementation of staff attendance and absence policy
- Leave of absence approvals
- Dissemination of information regarding the development of the University, especially changes to policy, university regulations, and issues discussed at the Academic
- Leadership Group.
- Maintenance of record of staff authorised and unauthorised absences
Ensuring that the requirements of PRC legislation and XJTLU regulation on Health and Safety are all met.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people;
- A passion for teaching and research, and a commitment to academic excellence;
- An ability to think strategically and develop and implement plans to achieve goals;
- A willingness to work collaboratively with other departments and stakeholders within the School and the University.
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others;
- Proactive and flexible
We seek someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of continued growth and significant change. Applicants should:
- A PhD in Financial Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Sciences, or a related field;
- At least three years of experience in the research and teaching, with a proven track record of academic excellence and leadership;
- Experience managing and leading a team of faculty and staff;
- Experience working with industry partners and stakeholders and a commitment to promoting industry engagement and innovation.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Research Funding Support
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program / Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- Innovation Leading Talent
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
The Head of Department of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics is eligible to receive a duty allowance.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website [HERE ].
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email the dean of the School, Prof. Fei Ma, at Fei.firstname.lastname@example.org Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at Zhi.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn .
Faculty Position In Financial And Actuarial Mathematics , ;, China, 8 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Financial and Actuarial Mathematics School: School of Mathematics and Physics Position: Faculty [Open Rank] Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contra...
Professor / Senior Associate Professor In Education, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 23 days ago
30 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Educational sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China Applica...
Faculty Position In Xipu Institution, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 23 days ago
30 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Economics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China Application Deadli...
Faculty Positions In Biological Sciences, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, about 24 hours ago
21 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China Applicat...
Faculty Position In Pure Maths , ;, China, about 21 hours ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Pure Mathematics School: School of Mathematics and Physics Position: Faculty [Open Rank] Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended AB...
Faculty Position In Foundational Mathematics , ;, China, 8 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Foundational Mathematics POSITION OVERVIEW School: School of Mathematics and Physics Position: Faculty [Open Rank] Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd...