Benefits: Generous pension (up to 18% employer contribution) 25 days holiday plus bank holidays + additional for Christmas Flexible hours (core 7.30-6 pm) Campus location in beautiful countryside, with social and sports clubs open to staff Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a new national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology.
The Franklin is in the process of completing its establishment phase and gearing up for expansion so this role joins at an exciting time for the Institute.
The Financial Controller is a key position within the central operational team, heading up a small team which includes an Assistant Accountant, Procurement Manager and Accounts Clerk.
The role covers two main areas of responsibility:
The role has a balance of operational and strategic work leading a small team in establishing strong financial practices and systems to support the continued growth of the Institute. Working as part of a small, high performing operational team with a values based culture. In return, we offer a dynamic and challenging environment with significant opportunity for personal growth and development, including the potential to support partnering efforts and, in certain cases, the commercialisation of the Franklin’s research.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Preparation of monthly management reports and financial KPIs to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts
- Manage cash flow by tracking and forecasting transactions
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Oversee processing of payroll (via third party bureau) in order to ensure timely and accurate PAYE / NIC submissions to HMRC
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report (including reporting to the Charities Commission)
- Comply with all UK reporting requirements and tax filings
- Collaborate with the auditors to ensure proper compliance with all regulations
- Maintenance of fixed asset register
- Support the COO in preparing business plans, including the preparation of budgets and financial plans for the Institute
- Support the COO in preparing monthly Board reports
- Manage financial information requests from funders
- Support grant submissions and external collaborations through the preparation of timely and accurate budgets. Manage financial reporting of specific grant awards
- Report to the COO, Institute Director and Board (including committees) with timely and accurate financial information
- Support the review and maintenance of the risk register
- Other ad hoc activities as directed by the COO
- CA, ACCA or CIMA qualification
- Successful track record operating in a commercial business or finance environment as either Finance Manager/ Financial Controller or equivalent
- Thorough and up to date knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Strong financial modelling and analytical skills (including advanced excel skills)
- Proven ability to operate as a value-added partner to senior team
- Strong communication skills – ability to translate complex financial information into accessible formats for non-experts
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- A hands on operator who enjoys working with and developing a small team
- Comfortable taking on new challenges and learning new skills
- Ability to translate Franklin research values into personal practice and behaviours, including a demonstrable commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- BSc or MSc degree in accounting, business, economics or related field
- Previous experience of working in a science-led organisation
- Experience of research funding/grant management
- Understanding of organisations with charitable status
In return we offer
- 25 days holidays, plus bank holidays + additional for Christmas
- Flexible hours (core 7.30-6 pm)
- Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
- Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
- Bus pass discount scheme
- Access to employee discount platform
- Subsidised canteen
- Free on-site parking
- Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
Closing date: 18th March 2021, 09:00am
Subsidiary Companies Accountant, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Oxford University operates a number of subsidiary companies and joint ventures whose activities are outside the University’s core activities of teaching and research. As a member of the team of st...
Project Set Up Manager , University of Reading, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a new Project Set-Up team within the Research Services function at the University of Reading. The postholder will review, improve and create policies and pr...
Project Manager (Electrical) , University of Reading, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
The University of Reading is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world. We are a global university that enjoys a world-class reputation for teaching, research and enterprise. Key to the ...
Recruitment Marketing Operations Coordinator , University of Reading, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
This Coordinator role is responsible for providing marketing and sales operations assistance to Henley Business School’s marketing and recruitment teams in order to achieve student recruitment tar...
Deputy Admissions Officer (Degree Apprenticeships) , University of Reading, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The Admissions Team (within Global Recruitment and Admissions) is responsible for handling applications to almost all award-bearing courses at the University. The University of Reading has an ambi...
Senior Library Assistant (Research Engagement) , University of Reading, United Kingdom, about 23 hours ago
We are seeking an individual to provide support for the Research Engagement team in the Library. The purpose of this post is to provide Open Access and Research Data Management (RDM) support to re...