School: Humanities and Social Sciences
Position: Faculty [Open Rank] Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, ofwhich about 1,000 are academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus inaddressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT Department of Literature (School of Humanities and Social Sciences)
The Department of Literature is an integral part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Since 2011, Literature has been an integral part of XJTLU’s strong tradition of teaching, learning and research.
Literature at XJTLU encompasses a complete suite of modules, giving students a comprehensive foundation in literary study, and covering a broad historical range of English Literature, from Shakespeare to the present day. Our teaching is firmly rooted in our research, and we incorporate a number of innovative contemporary and comparative approaches to the discipline, demonstrating the continuing and increasing relevance of literary study in the 21st century. From Year Two onwards, students can choose from a range of optional modules in Literature, and we offer a distinctive Final Year Project assessed by dissertation only, with a high level of specialised support in communicative writing. We are keen to supervise PhD projects that fall within our diverse research expertise, and to expand our existing postgraduate community.
Literary Studies areintegral to a number of XJTLU programmes, including BA English Studies , BA English and Communication Studies , BA English and Finance and BA English and International Business .
For detailed information about the university, please visit:
We seek a dynamic and enthusiastic colleagueto contribute to teaching in the Literature pathway of XJTLU's English programmes, as well as to the research profile of an ambitious and expanding department. Candidates should have a strong publication record relative to their stage of career.
The appointed candidate will be expected to:
- Deliver lectures and seminars in topics in Literature, and should have the proven ability to teach across the undergraduate curriculum;
- Contribute to the design, development, planning and implementation of a high-quality curriculum and assessment activities
- Supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate and/or post-graduate students;
- Contribute to the department’s research profile through sustained publication;
- Obtain internal and external research funding support
- Take on administrative duties as required by the HoD
- Maintain own continuing professional development
- A PhD in Literature or a relevant related discipline
- A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background
- A strong record of research appropriate to stage of career
- Proven ability of teaching at undergraduate level
Successful applicants to Associate Professor and above are expected to also show:
- Publication in leading journals
- A track record of PhD supervision to completion
- Evidence of successful research grant applications and networking
- A willingness to take a leading role in the department
- Teaching and supervisory experience at postgraduate level
- Experience of Technology Enhanced Learning
- Proven cross-cultural sensitivity
- Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education
- Familiarity with the British system of higher education
- As literary studies at XJTLU is increasingly focused on the social and translational power of literature and its place in the world, teaching and research interests focused on literature in dialogue with emerging social issues (including, if possible, issues relevant to China and the world). Scholars in, e.g., digital humanities, environmental humanities, health humanities, intersectionality, would be welcome.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
COPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Housing allowance
- Education allowance for dependent children
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Lave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Bereavement Leave
- XJTLU will sponsor working visa and residence permitin China
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website:
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for three referees.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email head of Department,Dr. Wan Hu, for general questions, please contact HR at Mengdie.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn .
Faculty Position In Urban Planning And Design [Open Rank] , Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University ;, China, 7 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Urban Planning and Design School: Design School Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended Closing Date: 31st January 2023 ABOUT XJTLU...
Faculty Position In He Xie Management Research Centre (Open Rank) , Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University ;, China, 5 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – HeXie Management Research Centre Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended ABOUT XJTLU In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (X...
Sincerely Invite You To Apply For The 2023 Excellent Young Scientists…, China Medical University (CMU), China, 15 days ago
For the sake of further improving the talent funding system of the Science Foundation, fully exerting the function of the Science Foundation in introducing and cultivating talents, and attracting ...
Associate Professor In Building Services Engineering , University of Nottingham Ningbo, China ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Location:Ningbo - ChinaSalary: ¥606,426 to ¥720,242 £72,943.34 to £86,633.59 converted salary* pe...
Teaching Fellow In Architecture , University of Nottingham Ningbo, China ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Location:Ningbo - ChinaSalary: ¥337,904 to ¥460,527 £40,875.23 to £55,708.57 converted salary* pe...
Teaching Fellow In Architectural Design , University of Nottingham Ningbo, China ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Location:Ningbo - ChinaSalary: ¥337,904 to ¥460,527 £40,821.51 to £55,635.35 converted salary* pe...