Full Time/Part Time
Duration of Post
Fixed term until 29th February 2020
Post is open to:
External and internal candidates
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £29,301 to £38,183. With potential progression once in post to £40,523 a year.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor Xiao-Ping Zhang (Tel: 0044 121 4144298), email: email@example.com, Co-Director, Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted
Terms and Conditions
The ESIF Knowledge Exchange Fellow is to work on protection and control of smart grids using real-time power grid simulator, establish test bed for integration of energy storage into smart grids, and develop test scenarios and validate operation and control methods and algorithms.
The successful candidate will be expected to actively interact with industry project partners to accelerate the adoption and deployment of energy storage in smart grids.
• A PhD degree in Electrical Power Systems/Smart Grid (or a related discipline) or near the completion of a PhD degree.
• First degree in Electrical Engineering or a related discipline.
• Significant experience in power systems and smart grids modelling using RTDS (Real-time Power Grid Simulator).
• Essential experience in modelling of HVDC and/or FACTS using RTDS, developing testing bed for power system control, communications and computer networking, and interacting with power industry partners.
• Desirable experience in modelling of energy storage systems.
• Desirable experience in modelling FPGA programming for power system simulations and control
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work independently, prioritise tasks and work to tight deadlines.
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly
• Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
• Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes