View Vacancy -- Data Manager - MLC 1504
MRC Mary Lyon Centre
MRC Harwell Institute is an international biological research centre at the forefront of the use of mammalian models to study genetics and human diseases. Located on the Harwell Campus, just south of Oxford, it is nestled amongst a vibrant community of leading science organisations. We aim to advance medicine through cutting-edge research into the genetic basis of disease. Our research programmes span an entire lifetime, from embryonic development to diseases of ageing. There are over 300 staff at the Institute made up of research scientists, technicians, animal carers, and business support personnel.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 3
Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
£39,216 - £45,843 per annum (depending on experience)
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Data Manager to join the Informatics Group at MRC Harwell to support the management of data generated from the Mary Lyon Centre (MLC) and in particular to ensure the large multi-dimensional data generated is robust and reproducible. As the Data Manager, you will provide technical leadership to the work of the MLC and manage a small team of data scientists and data wranglers. The work will focus on the collection, processing, distribution and management of data to support a varied portfolio of work that the MLC delivers.
The Mary Lyon Centre (MLC) at MRC Harwell is the national facility for mouse genetics funded by the MRC. The MLC’s activities are focused on applying mouse genetics, transgenesis and phenotypic screening to investigate mammalian gene function at a systems level. We are working with new genome editing technologies which are allowing us to introduce genetic variants, especially those seen in human patients, as well as generating new mouse strains for preclinical and discovery research. We are also involved with the development and application of a number of new automated phenotyping tests including those involving video and auditory analysis.
Moreover we are the central hub for the MRC’s soon to be launched National Network for Mouse Genetics (https://mrc.ukri.org/research/initiatives/national-mouse-genetics-network/ ).
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Manage a small team of data scientists and data wranglers.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to the MLC on best practices in data management for ensuring data integrity.
- Implement policies and guidelines for data management; and SOPs for data handling and archiving.
- Design, develop and implement a robust data management process across the MLC in conjuction with the LIMS team and phenotyping team to expedite data analysis and reporting.
- Evaluate that the software and database suite across the MLC meets the business requirements and in conjunction with LIMS team ensure an implementation plan with the software development team.
- Responsible for the data quality evaluation of phenotyping datasets
- Support scientific software development (rapid protoyping) in the MLC including testing, code review, code management to adhere to agreed standards
- Provide guidance in identifying and defining data requirements for MLC projects
- Development of bespoke data analytical modules to support MLC projects
- Responsible for ensuring the data disseminated from the MLC to clients meets agreed MLC guideline
- Review presentations, manuscripts, tables and graphs for accuracy and quality
- Maintain internal data asset library
- Work closely with the Anonymus team who deliver the LIMS system which supports the MLC to ensure the functionality within the LIMS serves the MLC working practices most efficiently
- Work closely with the IT services team, to ensure the management of data outside the LIMS meets the requirements around data security and that the current and planned infrastructure matches the priorities of the MLC
- Work closely with the phenotyping team, who generate the data.
You will be part of the Informatics Group and report to the Director of the Mary Lyon Centre.
Some international travel may be required.
Equality & Diversity
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives are that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equalities and diversity leadership and management.
Corporate/Local responsibilities & requirements
The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of Conduct
- Equality and Diversity policy
- Health and Safety policy
- Data Protection and Security policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between the post holder and their manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and the job holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
Qualifications and Training:
- A strong life sciences or computational degree
Knowledge and experience:
- Experience in large scale data management and / or data curation
- Technical knowledge of large scale data management
- Experience in the development and implementation of relational databases and in the use of programming techniques for data processing
- Experience of leading a programming and data team
- Ability to deliver projects and contribute to the strategic alignment of the data requirements of the MLC and its future directions
- Experience in day to day operations of managing large scale research data.
- Experience in software development and best practices
- Background in mathematical or scientific field
- Knowledge of mouse phenotyping data
- Experience of data presentation
- Experience of presenting at workshops and meetings
- Flexible and adaptable team worker
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Capable of working under pressure at times to meet deadlines
- Good written and oral communication skills including ability to present complex information in a concise and clear manner to people from different backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal skills with evidence of having developed and maintained effective working relationships
MRC Harwell specialises in mouse genetics research, from the earliest stages of development to diseases of ageing. The Mary Lyon Centre is the National facility for mouse genetics providing resources to many HEIs and commercial collaborators and is the central hub for the MRC’s newly launched National Network for Mouse Genetics (https://mrc.ukri.org/research/initiatives/national-mouse-genetics-network/ . We are also a key player in the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium (IMPC), a large-scale collaboration that aims to find a phenotype for every gene in the mouse genome. We are very keen to push our research towards translational studies in humans, and collaborate with clinical and medical professionals for many of our research programmes.
The closing date for applications is Monday 5th April 2021.
Interviews will be held w/c 19th April 2021.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Lead Scientist Next Generation Sequencing , University of Oxford ;, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
MRC Human Immunology Unit, MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford Grade 7: £32,817- £40,322 p.a. THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT A...
Director Of Mrc Brain Network Dynamics Unit, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The role of Director of the MRC Brain Network Dynamics Unit is an exciting opportunity for an inspiring academic leader to set the Unit’s future scientific agenda and develop the excellent trainin...
Beamline Scientist, I15 1 , Diamond Light Source ;, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire Full time / Flexible hours considered. About Us Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron source and a leading scientific facility of...
Facilities Manager , STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Based Harwell Campus, Oxford Who are we? As part of the UK’s National Quantum Technologies Programme, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is leading a programme to establish a National Quantum Compu...
Quantum Systems Technology Development Manager , STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council ;, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Who are we? As part of the UK’s National Quantum Technologies Programme, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is leading a programme to establish a National Quantum Computing Centre, which includes a...
Laboratory Technician In High Throughput Genomics, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Laboratory Technician to join the Wellcome Centre of Human Genetics, to assist with handling the whole process of customer sample receipt, appropriate ...