CTL Teaching Support Technician - Collaborative Teaching Laboratory - 39669 - Band 300 - (210001LT)
Collaborative Teaching Laboratory in the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £18,602 to £19,200, with potential progression once in post to £22,152
Closing Date 30th September 2021
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
The Collaborative Teaching Laboratory (CTL) represents a £42m investment in STEM teaching. The CTL provides primarily undergraduate students with a transformational teaching experience in a state of the art facilities to encourage and enable inter-disciplinary working. Recently revised in collaboration with external organisations, National Technician Development Centre, the IST and HEaTED, the CTL achieves many of the pledges as outlined in the Technician Commitment. For example, technician career pathways are embedded into the organisational structure to highlight future progression opportunities.
This role will suit a technician who has a progressive outlook, is comfortable in challenging existing approaches, and highly motivated to bring about positive change. Relevant training and development support will be available.
• Provision of general laboratory requirements for practical classes. This involves setting up and clearing away equipment, materials & reagents for each practical class as directed.
• A significant amount of manual handling will be required by the post holder.
• Routine care of laboratory apparatus and equipment such as colorimeters, centrifuges, calibration of pH meters etc.
• Preparation of simple solutions & filling of reagent bottles.
• Calibration of equipment prior, simple fault finding/troubleshooting.
Health and Safety
• Assist with the implementation of safety policies and procedures working safely and helping to ensure that others do the same.
• Provide facilities for the safe disposal of contaminated material with microbial cultures, animal carcasses, sharps, chemicals and radioactive material etc.
• He/she must be fully aware of the potential hazards involved in the use of caustic chemical cleaning agents and operate in accordance with COSHH and risk assessments.
• Calibration and servicing of pipettes.
• Sterilisation of media & glassware. Washing laboratory glassware by hand and machine.
• Operating of washing /drier for laundry of student lab coats and teaching technical team.
• Collection of goods from stores, checking & replenishing laboratory supplies.
• General maintenance of equipment and laboratory housekeeping.
• To act as an ambassador for the CTL and to promote the operational and strategic aims.
• Assisting other technical staff in preparing for events such as open days, school visits etc.
• To be flexible with CTL hours of operation to support changes in annual timetabling and to accommodate future CTL operational requirements.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• NQF Level 3 (A-Levels, NVQ L3 etc.) preferably in a STEM discipline
• GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in Science, Mathematics and Chemistry
• RSciTech or working towards RSci. If not registered, it will be encouraged to achieve registration within the first year.
• Good Laboratory Practice gained through experience and formal qualifications.
• Ability to provide ‘Lab Class Support’ crossing multiple STEM disciplines.
Informal enquiries can be made to Indira Suresh; email@example.com
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
: Collaborative Teaching Laboratory
: 23.09.2021, 5:29:20 AM
Grade (for job description): Band 300
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
: 30.09.2021, 6:59:00 PM
Research Technician , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £20,488 to £21,868, with potential progression once in post to £26,603 a year, Band 400 Fixed ...
Administrator Law School And Cepler , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
College of Arts and Law University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £20,488 to £21,868. With potential progression once in post to £26,603...
Assistant Professor In Economics (Teaching And Research) , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Birmingham Business School at the University of Birmingham is a world-leading institution and global thought leader in responsible business. We are committed to producing forward-thinking leaders...
Hr Adviser , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Joining a vibrant, large and varied HR function, you will work as part of a team which provides an HR Advisory service across the Unive...
Project Officer (Nhs Leadership Academy Programmes) , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,924 to £30,497 With potential progression once in post to £34,304 a year Grade 6 Full time...
Database Manager Development And Alumni Relations Office , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full Time Fixed Term Contract (maternity cover) for approximately 12 months Closing date: 24 October 2021 This role is also open as an ...