Research Associate – CS Connected
We are recruiting one or more enthusiastic, highly-motivated team-players with proven research and technical knowledge, in the area of III-V Compound Semiconductor epitaxial growth with an appreciation of fabrication and characterisation, as part of the Strength in Places Fund (SIPF) ‘CS Connected’ programme.
This £43 million programme aims to strengthen the position of the compound semiconductor cluster in South Wales to compete in rapidly evolving global markets. It is part-funded by UK Research and Innovation’s Strength in Places Fund (£25million) with the balance of investments provided by consortium partners, including Cardiff and Swansea Universities, the Compound Semiconductor Applications Catapult, seven industry and two government partners.
The successful applicant will have a key role in supporting the South Wales CS cluster in its next stages of evolution and growth, driving collaborations with industry partners. As a research scientist you will work as part of a team advancing state of the art technology through academic discovery, and contribute to translation at industrial partners for industrial development and job creation.
You will be an internationally recognised researcher with an outstanding track record of achievement in the field of compound semiconductor epitaxial growth, with an understanding of device fabrication and characterisation, demonstrated by publications in high quality academic journals, international conference presentations and with industrial collaborations.
Please submit with your completed application form, your full CV and a statement of research interests and career goals (2 pages max) addressing the criteria in the person specification.
This is a full-time, 2-year fixed-term post at Grade 6 level, starting in November 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Salary: £33,797- £40,322 per annum (Grade 6). The appointment will be made, dependent on relevant qualifications and experience.
Informal enquiries about the post can be made by email to Prof. Peter Smowton (SmowtonPM@cardiff.ac.uk ), Dr Qiang Li (LiQ44@cardiff.ac.uk ) or Rebecca Blackwell (BlackwellRM@cardiff.ac.uk ).
Informal enquiries about working at Cardiff University can be made to Sadia Qamar (QamarS4@cardiff.ac.uk )
Date advert posted: Tuesday, 10 November 2020
Closing date: Friday, 11 December 2020
This post has previously been advertised to employees of Cardiff University only. We now invite external applications.
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds. We therefore welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, or age. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
To conduct research within III-V epitaxy and device integration and contribute as part of the Strength-in-Places Fund CSConnected project team to the overall research performance of the School and University, carrying out research leading to the publishing of work in high-quality journals. To pursue excellence in research and to inspire others to do the same.
- To conduct research within III-V epitaxy and device integration and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
- To participate in School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions for collaboration across a range of activities which will contribute to the CSConnected cluster and the enhancement of its regional, national, and international profile. These activities are also expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role.
Qualifications and Education
Postgraduate degree at PhD level (or nearing completion / submission) in Physics, Electronic Engineering, Materials Science, or related topical areas with hands-on experience in semiconductor epitaxy.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within the following research fields:
- MOCVD growth of III-V materials and device structures
- Quantum dots, nanostructures and heteroepitaxy of mismatched materials
- Materials processing and characterisation
Knowledge of current status of research in photonics integration and optical characterisation techniques.
Proven ability to publish in international journals and high-impact conferences associated with compound semiconductor materials and devices.
Ability to contribute to successful competitive research funding proposals.
Communication and Team Working
Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication
Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-working within work
Proven ability to work without close supervision
Evidence of ability to participate in and develop both internal and external networks and utilise them to enhance the research activities of the School.
Evidence of a commitment to public outreach.
Academic - Research
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
Research Associate – CS Connected We are recruiting one or more enthusiastic, highly-motivated team-players with proven research and technical knowledge in the area of III-V Compound Semiconductor...
2x Positions As Marie Curie Early Stage Researchers/Ph Ds On The Fabrication Of Quantum Emitters In Cardiff University , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Applicants are invited for 2x Early Stage Researcher (ESR) positions in the LasIonDef project (Laser Fabrication and Ion Implantation of Defects as Quantum Emitters) at Cardiff’s School of Enginee...
Research Assistant, Data Management, Schools Health Research Network , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is recruiting a Research Assistant, Data Management, to work within the Schools Health Research Network (SHRN) within the Development and Evaluation of...
Research Associate , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
We are seeking to appoint an individual with proven expertise in machine learning, wearable technology, and movement analysis to deliver an ACCELERATE supported project. The goal of the project is...
Research Associate, School Health Research Network, Decip Her , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences is looking to recruit a Research Associate to work within the School Health Research Network (SHRN) that is part of the Development and Evaluation of C...
Research Associate Physical Chemistry , Cardiff University ;, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
We seek to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated scientist with proven intellectual and technical abilities to work on a physical chemistry project. The 3-year project, funded by the Leverhulm...