Communications Officer (Sport) UOB Sport - 57017Z - Band 500 - (210000WR)
UOB Sport - Campus Services
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £23,699 to £25,458, with potential progression once in post to £29,471
Band - 500
Full Time - Fixed Term Contract until 8th April 2022
Closing date – 22nd June 2021
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham is a leading sporting University who have recently invested over £65 million in sporting facilities including: a world-class indoor sports facility, newly developed outdoor facilities and an additional satellite gym open to students, staff and the local community. These facilities are also used for international events and training camps including being the host venue for hockey and squash for the upcoming Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Working with limited supervision, the Communications Officer will be part of the specialist Sport Marketing department who offer marketing, communications and PR support to help meet the University’s strategic goals and commercial business objectives. The post holder will work to strengthen the relationships with relevant team members within the University of Birmingham and use marketing activities to reach internal and external audiences.
This role is an integral to maintaining a fast-paced, multi-service sport marketing department at the University of Birmingham.
• Write and submit regular sport content for University student and staff publications which are both digital and print.
• Write blogs and student news stories and upload them to the UoB Sport & Fitness website with appropriate imagery and formatting, to ensure the content is optimised for search engines as well as compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines AA Standard.
• Utilise email marketing software to create email campaigns and regular communications to students, staff and members of the Sport & Fitness club.
• Write and coordinate press releases and statements for UoB Sport & Fitness and seek input and approval from Senior Management and the Press Office where necessary.
• Work alongside the rest of the marketing team to keep UoB Sport & Fitness’ website content current, interesting and within the brand.
• Manage internal communications for UoB Sport & Fitness such as the weekly staff bulletin.
• Support with the promotion of Welcome Week (new students arrival in September 2021), including copywriting for key university-wide communications to incoming students.
• Support members of club events committees/other partners in effective promotion of their events, and act as a point of contact between committees/organisers and the marketing team.
• Promotion of the Premier Squash League to meet ticket sale targets (Covid-19 dependent).
• Recruitment event support such as University Open Days and Applicant Visit Days.
• With guidance from the Senior Marketing & Creative Executive, manage the day-to-day running of all the UoB Sport & Fitness social media accounts, making sure content is creative, planned in advance and all communications are consistent and aligned with the brand. This will also include reactive work, for example, celebrating the success of student athletes as well as providing customer service via social media.
• Regularly review social media activity to identify new opportunities, trends and optimise the use of the accounts in supporting the business objectives.
• Contribute sport content to the other University-managed social media channels
• Where necessary, create branded content to support campaigns and other communications, to be used as part of campaigns on social media, emails, the app, and screens around UoB Sport & Fitness.
• Manage media requests for sport, such as filming location requests, athlete or expert quotes.
• Support with live chat on the UoB Sport & Fitness website.
• Support the rest of the marketing team to deliver Marketing, Communications and PR training to Sports Club Committees.
• Manage the marketing material inventory and to replenish stock when appropriate.
• Manage the stock levels and reordering of official UoB Sport & Fitness merchandise.
• Act as first point of contact for members of UoB Sport & Fitness staff when requesting new or existing supplies of marketing material.
• Assist the Marketing Executive with looking after a cohort of student Brand Ambassadors who promote services and facilities at the University. This may involve administrative responsibilities such as coordinating their rota and monitoring hours completed.
• Embody the values of UoB Sport & Fitness and embed the strategic vision and mission into all projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Educated to degree level
• Knowledge of the sport and fitness industry
• Excellent written and communication skills
• The ability to think creatively in approaching solutions and identifying opportunities
• Highly independent and able to work unsupervised, prioritising own workload
• The ability to use initiative to drive a project forward
• Eye for identifying a story and press opportunity
• Experience of writing press releases and statements
• Good team working skills
• Experience in a marketing / communications environment
• Experience using website content management systems
• Experience using social media for professional purposes
• Commitment to flexible hours, including working outside normal office hours
• Experience of using Wordpress
• Experience of higher education
Informal enquires to Lauren Massey, email: L.Massey.firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
: Campus Services
: 07.06.2021, 7:00:00 PM
Grade (for job description): Band 500
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
: 22.06.2021, 6:59:00 PM
Fixed Term Contract End Date 08.04.2022
Business Engagement Officer , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
*Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,511 to £30,046 with potential progression once in post to £33,797. Please note – due to external funding restrictions the maximum starting ...
Gbs Io T Marketing And Outreach Coordinator , Solihull College ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The government has established high-quality Institutes of Technology (IoTs) to provide employers with a skilled workforce and students with a clear route to technical employment. The Greater Birmi...
Lecturer In Sport, Coaching And Fitness, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Salary: £33,797 - £38,017 p.a. with opportunity to progress to £41,526 Contract Type: Full and part-time contracts considered Closing Date: 30-07-2021 12 Midday Support/Academic/Management: Academ...
Student Recruitment Administrator , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time, Permanent Starting salary is normally in the range £23,699 to £25,458. With potential progression once in post to £29,471 a year. Band...
Senior Lecturer, College Of Food Programmes, Higher Education, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Salary: £39,152 - £49,553 p.a. with opportunity to progress to £54,131 Contract Type: Full-time, permanent Closing Date: 09-08-2021 12 Midday Support/Academic/Management: Academic The Birmingham C...
Michael F Byrne Outreach And Schools Liason Officer , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,511 to £30,046 with potential progression once in post to £33,797 Band/Grade: Grade 6 Hours: Full...