View Vacancy -- Communications and Engagement Officer - NATA 1585
The Nucleic Acid Therapy Accelerator (NATA) is a new institute established by MRC with funding of £30m over 4 years to develop nucleic acid therapies in this unique and niche sector. We are seeking a highly motivated, competent and experienced individual to lead communications and engagement with an initial focus on developing the NATA communication strategy and associated tasks.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 5
Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
£25,798 - £27,501
Administration & Management
15 - 20
6 months from start date
The Communications and Engagment Officer will devise concepts to ensure NATA has a strong public image, enabling scientific and non scientific individuals to understand NATA research and to generate interest and brand awareness through a variety of media, platforms and events.
As Communication Officer, you will write and edit scientific materials for this newly established research centre through a variety of media such as web content, and reports, and oversee NATA’s public engagement activities for audiences including collaborators, members of the public to research scientists.
Working closely with our researchers, you will:
- have a good understanding of scientific content, and will source, write, and edit material to ensure appropriate engagement and interest.
- be responsible for managing and updating our social media accounts, with a particular focus on Twitter and LinkedIn, and produce promotional print materials to highlight NATA’s work.
- be adapt at understanding and interpreting complex scientific information and into clear, concise and attractive language, with the ability to tailor your writing to your audience (e.g. scientific community or the general public).
- be comfortable undertaking research into public engagement opportunities and leading on content delivery.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
Develop NATA communications strategy both short term and long term.
· Research, write and distribute interesting content regarding NATAs work working with scientists and others as required
· Seek engagement opportunities relevant to NATA brand and promotion, organisation and evaluation of NATA public engagement events
· Write and edit news articles and content for NATA website
· Produce promotional print materials such as brochures and newsletters
· Produce and manage the website, social media, and promotional materials ensuring all content complies with our own brand and editorial guidelines and those of the wider MRC.
· Promote our work with potential collaborators and stakeholders
You will be working with the NATA team including scientists, project team, business development and external stakeholders. As the initial focus of the role is in developing a communication strategy you will be working closely with the NATA team which will then lead to greater external stakeholder engagement and content delivery.
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
Qualifications and Training:
· Degree in relevant subject
Qualification and/or experience in science communication or science media production
Previous work experience required:
· Previous experience in developing a communications strategy
· Experience communicating complex scientific ideas to different target audiences
· A developing portfolio of print and digitial scientific communication examples
· An interest in varied aspects of communication, from written, electronic and scientific engagement/outreach to the public
· Proven track record in communications work
· Experience in biological science research
· Clear, logical report writing to enable communication strategy to be developed, approved and delivered.
· Strong writing and editorial skills, with great accuracy and attention to detail
· Strong organisational and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work independently
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
We have established a first class biology and chemistry lab on the Harwell Campus site so you will have the opportunity to immediately engage with the scientific community in developing the NATA strategy. We are working closely with UK and international collaborators and require a dynamic individual to support this important new scientific institute.
Benefits include a flexible pay and reward policy, excellent holiday entitlement, MRC average salary pension scheme.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Laboratory And Facility Assistant , University of Oxford ;, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Location: Radcliffe Department of Medicine, MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford Salary: Grade 5: £25,941 - £...
Laboratory Technician, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Research Technician post in the David Ray group within OCDEM on a highly prestigious MRC funded programme of research. This programme builds on recent disc...
Head Of Cyber Security And Compliance , STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council ;, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
STFC, RAL/Didcot About Us The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multidisciplinary research organisations, with our National Laboratories providing world-c...
Epac Application Scientist/Senior Scientist , STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire Salary: £31,931 - £34,709 or £39,748 - £44,166 per annum (dependent on skills and experience) Full time Permanent Based at the Science and Tech...
Senior Manager Therapy Acceleration Laboratory (Tal) , University of Oxford ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
Location Radcliffe Department of Medicine, MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford Are you looking for a new and...
Laser Scientist (Short Pulse Characterisation And Probes) , STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire Salary: £39,748 - £44,166 per annum (dependent on skills and experience) Full time Fixed Term 3 Years Based at the Science and Technology Facil...