John Snow College
Grade 4: - £21,630 - £23,144 per annum (pro rata)
Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time
Contracted Hours per Week: 35
Closing Date: 03-Oct-2022, 6:59:00 AM
OUR CHARACTERISTICS: We are a globally outstanding centre of teaching and research excellence, a collegiate community of extraordinary people, in a unique and historic setting.
OUR VALUES: We are inspiring, challenging, innovative, responsible and enabling.
Durham University is one of the world's top universities with strengths across the Arts and Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences. We are home to some of the most talented scholars and researchers from around the world who are tackling global issues and making a difference to people's lives.
The University sits in a beautiful historic city where it shares ownership of a UNESCO World Heritage Site with Durham Cathedral, the greatest Romanesque building in Western Europe. A collegiate University, Durham recruits outstanding students from across the world and offers an unmatched wider student experience.
Durham University seeks to promote and maintain an inclusive and supportive environment for work and study that assists all members of our University community to reach their full potential. Diversity brings strength and we welcome applications from across the international, national and regional communities that we work with and serve.
It is expected that all staff within the University:
- Contribute to our learning culture by engaging in mentoring, training and coaching.
- Positively contribute to fostering a collegial environment; as well as demonstrating commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Have due regard to Health and Safety requirements appropriate to grade and role.
Family key attributes
Roles in this family provide a comprehensive service and deliver the efficient administration and governance of the University.
Overall family purpose
- Deliver direct and indirect services to stakeholders.
- Provide advice and answer queries as part of an enquiry-desk/help-desk function.
- Respond to and manage requests for information and resources.
- Deliver services to meet regulatory requirements and procedures.
- Plan and deliver a joined-up approach to University business and people services.
- Align business processes and services to meet operational and strategic policy objectives.
- Deliver business processes to ensure effective management, governance and the economic viability of the University.
- Encourage, collaborate and participate in the development of productive cross-institution relationships and working.
- Provide excellent professional services that meet strategic and operational goals and business needs.
- Carry out monitoring, analysis, development and planning to design new services and service updates for continuous improvement whilst meeting changes in regulations.
- Engage with specialist professionals, consultants, and suppliers to exchange knowledge and facilitate partnership working.
- Work collaboratively and network across the University with staff in other families to ensure a smooth, timely and high-quality delivery of service.
- Align and deliver programmes and activities to meet operational and strategic objectives to enhance the stakeholder experience.
- Engage and encourage participation with external professionals, schools, alumni and donors.
Link to key strategic plan
- An economically sustainable approach to delivering Professional Services across the University;
- A joined-up approach to University professional services, regardless of location or line management;
- A culture and practice of continuous improvement;
- Design services that meet business need;
- A stakeholder-focused orientation, offering satisfying careers to all staff;
- Support and facilitate programmes that offer intellectual challenge, cohesiveness and a strong sense of progression;
- Ensure that an increasingly diverse workforce is treated equally, fairly and with respect, and that all staff are demonstrably valued and actively engaged.
The Department and role purpose
The Colleges and Student experience Division included the 15 Maintained Colleges, Experience Durham, the Student Support and Wellbeing Directorate, and the Wider Student Experience Operations Directorate.
The post holder will be involved in a wide range of activities aimed at furthering the College and University strategy, especially in relation to the effective administrative of the College and will also have a lead role in organising our College events, such as College Formals, Annual College Dinner and Public Lectures.
The College Administrator will form part of an efficient and effective administration support service to the college management team.
- Provide a responsive and proactive support service for stakeholders.
- Focus on checking stakeholder requirements to ensure the delivery of excellence with the frontline stakeholder experience.
- Respond to service users answering and recording standard queries and bookings for activities and/or events.
- Contribute to the planning of team activities, work and deadlines to ensure the smooth running and timeliness of service.
- Solve day-to-day routine problems and source background information within the role.
- Record data and information accurately and provide reports as required to team members and more experienced staff.
- Operate a booking and enquiry service and process requests finding solutions or escalating queries where necessary.
- Flexible in approach to accommodate the needs of team members and/or service users.
- Actively involved in the planning, preparation and attendance at weekly evening events and key events such as Arrivals Weekend and Open Days.
- Liaise with internal and external suppliers, contractors and professional specialists to pass on information.
- Apply professional and regulatory procedures and processes and use of systems.
- Liaise and collaborate with staff in other areas of the organisation to ensure a seamless, smooth and efficient service.
- Resolve queries and requests for information and advice and escalate more specialist and complex queries or issues to more experienced team members.
- Work with team members to ensure the smooth running of administrative processes to support people and business activities.
- Attend planning meetings, make venue, catering, travel and/or equipment arrangements for events, meetings and activities. You are required to facilitate and attend the College events.
- Apply standard professional and recognised regulatory procedures to process, check and reconcile anomalies within data and information sets.
- Compile, record, store and archive data and information to ensure the accuracy and safety of information.
- Liaise with representatives from other service areas, professional organisations and agencies where necessary.
- Use standard office-based digital systems, tools and equipment to carry out data recording, communications and networking.
- Provide service and support for networks, committees and meetings, to draft and distribute documents and communications in standard professional formats.
- Process and update key business documentation.
- Liaise with internal and external suppliers and specialists with the organisation, planning and delivery of services, activities and events.
- Support the admissions cycle, organisation of open Days and Induction Week.
- Make venue, catering, travel and/or equipment arrangements for events, meetings and activities.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific role requirements
There is an expectation the post holder will be required to attend a weekly evening event during Term time (usually a Thursday evening but occasionally another weekday evening) and weekend events such as Arrivals Weekend (last Saturday and Sunday in September) and Open Days to support College and University.
Recruiting to this post
In order to be considered for interview, candidates must evidence each of the essential criteria required for the role in the person specification above (including those listed in the section ‘Realising Your Potential Approach’).
In some cases, the recruiting panel may also consider the desirable criteria, so we recommend you evidence all criteria in your application.
Please note that some criteria will only be considered at interview stage.
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online.
Please note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to submit
Please ensure that you submit all documentation listed above or your application cannot proceed to the next stage.
For further information please contact: Janet Dixon-Dawson, Vice-Principal. Email Janet.Dixon-Dawson@durham.ac.uk
Contact information for technical difficulties when submitting your application
If you encounter technical difficulties when using the online application form, we prefer you send enquiries by email. Please send your name along with a brief description of the problem you’re experiencing to email@example.com
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails.
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work. We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
As a University we foster a collegiate community of extraordinary people aligned to the University’s values . Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) are a key part of the University’s Strategy and a central part of everything we do. At Durham we actively work towards providing an environment where our staff and students can study, work and live in a community which is supportive and inclusive, and in doing so, recruit the world’s best candidates from all backgrounds and identities. It’s important to us that all of our colleagues are aligned to both our values and commitment to EDI.
Person specification - skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience required
The essential criteria for this role are:
The desirable criteria for this role are:
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable
Student Support Administrator (Maternity Cover), Durham University, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Student Support Administrator (Maternity Cover) ( Job Number: 22001880) South College Grade 4: - £21,630 - £23,144 per annum Fixed Term - Full Time Contract Duration: Until 11/08/23 Contracted Hou...
Student Support Administrator, Durham University, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Student Support Administrator ( Job Number: 22001892) College of St Hild and St Bede Grade 4: - £21,630 – £23,144 per annum (pro rata) Open-Ended/Permanent - Part Time Contracted Hours per Week: 1...
Admissions Administrator, Durham University, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Admissions Administrator ( Job Number: 22001913) Recruitment and Admissions Grade 4: - £21,630 - £23,144 per annum (pro rata) Fixed Term - Part Time Contract Duration: Until October 2023 Contracte...
Director Of Residential Capability Development, Durham University, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Director of Residential Capability Development ( Job Number: 22001944) PVC Colleges & Student Experience Office Grade 10: - Competitive Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time Contracted Hours per Week: ...
Student Support It System Senior Manager , Durham University ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
The University At Durham University we are proud of our people. A globally outstanding centre of educational excellence, a collegiate community of extraordinary people, a unique and historic setti...
Ccs Administrator, Durham University, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
CCS Administrator ( Job Number: 22001983) Department of Theology and Religion Grade 4: - £21,630 - £23,144 per annum (pro-rata) Fixed Term - Part Time Contract Duration: 24 months Contracted Hours...