Accountability, responsibility and duties;
- Preparation and maintenance of secondary cells lines, both inside and outside of the restricted area
- Preparation of primary cells from animal tissue samples
- Aseptic preparation of cell culture media and supplements
- Management of online cell ordering system, ensuring cells are delivered to customers on time and to a suitable standard
- Ensuring all cells supplied to ISO17025 accredited laboratories are produced and maintained in accordance with these standards
- Deliver good and consistent customer service by maintaining correspondence
- Responsibility for working collaboratively with other team members
- Storage and recovery of cell stocks including database management and access to liquid nitrogen storage rooms
- Providing new staff with sufficient training, supervision and instruction to ensure they can carry out their role
- Maintain own training record to demonstrate competency.
- Ensuring that cell culture services are maintained over holiday periods and bank holidays
- Undertake quality control functions including purity and identity testing of cell cultures
- Responsible for ordering consumables to maintain functional capability
Responsible for Personal Health & Safety, which will include:
- Maintaining electronic training records of all mandatory courses
- Following good laboratory practice related to safety, behaviour and hygiene.
- Taking ownership of personal Health and Safety responsibilities and compliance with institute Risk and Assurance procedure and policies
- Following Biosafety procedures and notifying line manager if procedures are not followed.
The Cell Culture department are responsible for the cell banks of over 200 different cell lines and some cell lines are contained within a SAPO 4 restricted area
- Higher education qualification inbiosciences or extensive cell culture experience
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience of maintaining and culturing secondary cell lines
- Computer literate, with the ability to familiarise with database systems.
- Working within a lab environment working to ISO9001 quality standards or equivalent
For those applicants where English is not their first language, please note that the successful applicant must be able to prove their ability to communicate in English. The required standard for the Pirbright Institute has been set as an overall mark of 7.0 in the IELTS qualification (with no lower than 7.0 for listening and reading, no lower than 6.5 for speaking and no lower than 6.0 for writing) or the equivalent in an alternative qualification.
- Preparation and maintenance of primary cultures
- Experience in an industry based, hospital or academic environment
- Experience of contributing to SOPs, Methods, or reports
- Working within a lab environment to ISO17025 quality standards or equivalent
Personal behaviours and skills:
- Reliability under pressure
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Good mathematical and numeric skills
- Able to investigate, document and maintain records accurately
- Time management skills
- Professional and customer focussed -diplomatic, enthusiastic, friendly
- Intellectually engaged – take opportunities to develop professional skills
What we offer:
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare vouchers and a subsidised childcare allowance
Call For Expressions Of Interest For The Submission Of Marie Sklodowska Curie Proposals In..., Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 13 days ago
In a HFSP-funded project, the researcher will develop intracellular nanotools that push the limits of fluorescence microscopy and cryo-Electron Tomography to time-resolve fundamental mechanisms in...
Medical Research Specialist I, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Job Description General Responsibilities: Management of PI’s laboratory: organization, equipment maintenance, consumables inventories, ordering and procurement of laboratory supplies and consumabl...
Nanomedicine Laboratory Technician, IDIVAL, Spain, 17 days ago
TASKS IN THE PROJECT: • Execution of techniques currently used in nanomedicine projects. • Handling, storage, preparation, etc. of nanomaterials. • Eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell cultures, materi...
Effect Of Nutraceuticals On A In Vitro Co Cultures System Of Diabetic Neurodegeneration, Università degli Studi Magna Graecia di Catanzaro, Italy, 10 days ago
The main neurovascular unit of the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) consists of a cellular component, which includes endothelial cells, neurons, astrocytes, pericytes, microglia and oligodendrocytes, as ...
Call For Expressions Of Interest For The Submission Of Marie Sklodowska Curie Proposals In..., Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 14 days ago
We are interested in understanding how cell diversity is generated upon brain morphogenesis, and to study the mechanisms governing their spatiotemporal coordination. The project will focus in unde...
Project Officer, Biological Sciences, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
A Project Officer position is available in the Laboratory of A/P Tan Suet Mien at the School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University. Job Description To assist the principle inves...