Hockley Mint Limited (HM) and The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) are seeking to appoint a high calibre graduate in the broad area of Business Information Systems Engineering. Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of Birmingham City Centre.
The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) is partnering with Hockley Mint on a 24 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP). Hockley Mint Ltd is a prestigious award-winning Jewellery manufacturer and has been in business for over 65 years. HM designs & manufactures bespoke and batch jewellery for large retailers, retail outlets and direct retail alliances - further information can be found here https://www.hockleymint.co.uk/ .
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funding by a grant through Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure this position. KTPs offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £4,000 Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. For more information on KTP please go to https://bcuadvantage.co.uk/innovate/ktp/
The successful graduate will be employed by the University and will be based full time at Hockley Mint Limited (Birmingham) (B18 6NG) and will lead on the technical development of the project and be supported by academics from BCU’s School of Computing and Digital Technology.
The position is for 24 months. The expected start date is as soon as is practical.
The Role :
The project aims to embed cutting edge bespoke Software Engineering & Process Re-engineering techniques to deliver a modular and scalable digital solution referred to as JewelleryChain system. The system will provide end-to-end integration, streamlined internal business processes and an online portal to optimise B2B operations. The project will empower the company to achieve its digital transformation strategy.
The role requires the successful candidate to work closely and effectively with the company's IT and management staff as well as BCU staff, taking a leading role to:
- Analyse and re-design the existing business processes to improve end-to-end integration.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to gather the business system requirements.
- Design, develop, test and deploy the newly developed JewelleryChain system – the modular and scalable bespoke business system within the company and replace the existing legacy system.
- Develop a strategic and ambitious long-term plan for the use of JewelleryChain system within the company, enabling effective workflows and informed decision making.
- Help to embed and exploit the knowledge and expertise transferred during the project within the company and communicate any technical concepts appropriately and effectively to different stakeholders.
- Perform administrative tasks relevant to the project, as assigned by the line manager.
- Author reports for all stakeholders showing the progress of the project.
- Document research output in research papers and contribute to publications of international quality journals/conference during the KTP.
The Associate must have the following key attributes to ensure the project's successful completion.
- Educated to degree level in computer science or applied computing discipline with a First Class (or 2:1 Honours).
- A Master’s degree or PhD [awarded, recently submitted or near completion] in computing or closely related discipline will be an advantage
Skills and Experience:
- Strong programming skills and be comfortable developing in several Full Stack Web Development Frameworks, such as Java, Python and .NET frameworks.
- Good understanding of information systems and Database Technologies such as SQL and Reporting
- Working knowledge of DevOps practices system architecting and design
- Working knowledge of Issue tracking and Project Management software
- A deep understanding of Application Interface programming developments (APIs) such as Rest APIs.
- Practical working experience of latest software development approach such as Microservices an advantage.
- Understanding of systems integration and change management methodologies.
- Knowledge of business process modelling methods
- Completion of substantial system development and/or business process re-engineering project in either University or industry.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to take a proactive role that will successfully deliver the work plan in the proposal.
- Practical interpersonal skills to establish good working relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and industrial partners.
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas adequately and articulate complicated matters between the academics and the company project team members either orally or in writing.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and computational skills along with being Adept at applying knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible;
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
For more information on the role please contact Adel Aneiba at Adel.email@example.com or Gerald Feldman at Gerald.firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this role, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent process.
Interviews will take place week commencing 19 October 2020.
Closing date for advert and applications is Sunday 27 September 2020.
Email details to a friend
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Systems Developer/Engineer (Ktp Associate) Fixed Term For 24 Months, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies School of Computing and Digital Technology Location: Birmingham, England Salary: £34,000 to £42,000 per annum Full time / Fixed term contract - 24 months Closing Date: Sunday ...
Planning And Reporting Officer, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies Planning and Performance Department Location: Curzon Building Salary: £32,669 to £35,510 per annum Permanent Closing Date: Sunday 01 November 2020 Interview Date: Friday 13 No...
Head Of Student Number Planning And Reporting, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies Planning and Performance Department Location: Curzon Building Salary: £45,136 to £49,062 per annum Permanent Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020 Interview Date: See advert R...
Senior Lecturer In Building Surveying, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies School of Engineering and the Built Environment Location: Birmingham, England Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020 Interview Date: To be ...
Visiting Lecturers In Strategy, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain Management And Entrepreneurship, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies Department of Strategy, Management and Marketing. Location: Curzon Building Salary: VT Hourly Rates Fixed Term Closing Date: Thursday 30 September 2021 Interview Date: To be c...
Visiting Lecturer In Strategy, Management And Operations In A&F, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
View All Vacancies Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences Location: Curzon Building Salary: VT Hourly Rates Closing Date: Thursday 30 September 2021 Interview Date: To be confirmed Referen...