Location University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time/part time Full time
Duration Fixed term contract for up to June 2023
Grade/band Grade 8
Salary Full time starting salary is normally in the range £41,526 to £49,553. With potential progression once in post to £55,750 a year.
Closing Date 22nd September 2020
This post will be part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
The Smart Factory Hub (SmartFub) is a three-year programme to support SMEs in Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local (GB&S), Coventry and Warwickshire (C&W), Black Country (BC) and Stoke and Staffordshire (S&S) Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs). Led by Professor Stefan Dimov, the Hub has state-of-the-art facilities in the Schools of Engineering and Metallurgy & Materials on Birmingham's Edgbaston campus.
Business Engagement Manager will inspire Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) within the LEPs to engage with the SmartFub project. Successful candidate will work with senior executives within engineering/ manufacturing SMEs to develop their understanding of how step-changes to their products/ processes delivered through the application of cutting-edge research at the University attained. Business Engagement Manager will stimulate demand from SMEs to access the University’s expertise across its portfolio in Engineering/ Physical Science.
Stimulating SME demand for the University’s research will provide on-going project success through knowledge transfer activities, ensuring ERDF deliverable targets met.
This to achieve through:
- Promotion/ delivery of business seminars, workshops, practical demonstrations, e-marketing and other promotional means, focused on informing GB&S, C&W, BC and S&S LEPs’ SMEs of the objectives of the SmartFub project.
- Understanding issues faced by regional SMEs in accessing the University’s research and identifying where University technology or expertise could benefit their business.
- Supporting senior executives in these SMEs in the development of their internal business cases to justify investment in R&D&I activity with the University
- Providing on-going support to University/SME teams to deliver collaborative projects.
- Co-lead business engagement activities and support implementation of knowledge transfer strategy.
- Deliver Business Engagement Outputs.
- Support SmartFub Leadership to deliver and marketing the project ensuring sustainability of SME engagement.
- Undertaking other duties, as necessary and when these arise, as directed by the SmartFub Project Director.
- Graduate qualification in an engineering or science discipline.
- Experience in a management role and/or technology consulting / industrial / commercial environment with senior level interactions with client organisation, ideally SMEs.
- Experience of working in a higher education or research management environment preferred
- A proven record of undertaking business development with clearly identifiable contributions to influencing commercial success of activity.
- Ability to summarise complex issues/concepts, presenting them appropriately for a range of audiences.
- Ability to plan, manage and prioritise own workload, respond to changing priorities and deliver innovative solutions to deadlines maintaining consistently high standard of service and meeting client needs.
For informal enquiries, please contact Dr Milla Shah M.Shah@bham.ac.uk or Professor Stefan Dimov firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 22nd September 2020 Reference: 96269
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit www.hr.bham.ac.uk/jobs Please quote Job Ref 96269 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
En Tress Researcher, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department Faculty of Science and Engineering Salary £31,865 - £34,803 pa (pro rata for part-time) Environmental Technologies and Resource Efficient Support S...
En Tress Events Coordinator, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department Faculty of Science and Engineering Salary £18,709 - £20,130 pa Environmental Technologies and Resource Efficiency Support Service (EnTRESS) An exci...
Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher Mo Sai Qc Physics And Astronomy 902791 Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
Marie-Curie Early Stage Researcher - MoSaiQC - Physics and Astronomy - 902791 - Grade 7 - (200002CC) Description MARIE SKLODOWSKA-CURIE EARLY STAGE RESEARCHER – MoSaiQC – 902791 (Two posts availab...
En Tress Project Manager, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department Faculty of Science and Engineering Salary £44,045 - £51,034 pa Environmental Technologies and Resource Efficiency Support Service (EnTRESS) We are ...
Research Technician Institute Of Metabolism And Systems Research 81435 Band 400, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Research Technician - Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research - 81435 - Band 400 - (200002HY) Description Position Details Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research Location: University of...
Research Technician Institute Of Immunology And Immunotherapy 96238 Band 400, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Research Technician - Institute of Immunology and Immunotherapy - 96238 - Band 400 - (200002DT) Description Position Details Institute of Immunology and Immunotherapy Location: University of Birm...