View Vacancy -- Bioinformatics Analyst LMS - 1587
MRC London Institute of Medical Science
As this job does not fulfil the UK Government minimum salary criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK. You can check your eligibility here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y
The London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) at Hammersmith Hospital is the third directly funded MRC research institute and enjoys close links with its partners at Imperial College and at the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. LMS research focuses on strengthening the basic science underpinning our understanding of human diseases and the translation of such high-quality research into a clinical setting.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 4
£ 32,005 - £35,143 plus London allowances (£3,727 & £1,402) per annum
3 years with the possibility of extension
The London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) at Hammersmith Hospital is the third directly funded MRC research institute and enjoys close links with its partners at Imperial College and at the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. LMS research focuses on strengthening the basic science underpinning our understanding of human diseases and the translation of such high-quality research into a clinical setting. Within the LMS, the Bioinformatics core facility works closely with both research groups and other facilities to meet the bioinformatics requirements of the institute. The post is part of the LMS Bioinformatics core facility, and involves working in a highly collaborative environment with multidisciplinary research groups. The primary responsibilities will be experimental design, establishing of bioinformatics workflows and analysis of genomics and transcriptomics data. This work will be carried out in collaboration with the LMS research groups, and will also involve providing training on bioinformatics techniques within the institute.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- To analyse a diverse range of biological data (e.g. ChIP-seq, bulk RNA-seq and single-cell RNA-seq data) for LMS members.
- To communicate bioinformatics analysis to postgraduates, research scientists and principal investigators
- To ensure the validity and reliability of data and methods at all times
- To maintain accurate and complete records of analysis projects
- To identify and develop suitable techniques for the analysis and visualisation of data, and to build and maintain the associated computational resources (software packages, databases, or web-based analysis and visualisation tools)
- To maintain all code and programs used for analysis and tool development with suitable source control
- To identify and implement present and upcoming infrastructure requirements for the Bioinformatics facility
- To assist in and develop bioinformatics training for postgraduate research students and research assistants
- To present bioinformatics tools and techniques to colleagues
- To attend relevant workshops and conferences as necessary
- To participate in Bioinformatics facility meetings and internal seminars
- To contribute to the smooth running of the Bioinformatics facility
- To comply with the College, Division, and Unit safety practices and to attend courses on safety when appropriate
- To undertake appropriate administration tasks
- To attend relevant meetings
- To undertake any necessary training and/or development
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as directed by the supervisor
Education / Qualifications / Training required (will be assessed from application form):
- A PhD or master’s degree in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or Biological Sciences or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience
Knowledge and experience (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Knowledge of molecular biology and genomics
- Experience of applying Machine Learning techniques using Pytorch, TensorFlow or Keras
- Evidence of a high level of skill in at least one general programming language (Python, Java or C++ are preferred)
- Experience with bioinformatics techniques and tools used in molecular biology and genomics
- Experience of working with NGS data
- Experience in using R and Bioconductor packages in the analysis of biological data
Personal skills/behaviours/qualities (will be assessed at the interview):
- Willingness to work closely with colleagues to seek solutions to the Bioinformatics core facilities’ goals
- High level of motivation and drive with the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively
- Willingness to share knowledge and skills with other members of the team on a daily basis
- Flexible attitude towards work
- Discipline and regard for data integrity, confidentiality and security at all times
- Willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role
- Willingness to travel both within the United Kingdom and abroad to conduct research and attend conferences
- Being able to work independently in work from home settings if required by due to Covid-related measures
Applicants should submit one CV, a brief cover letter describing motivation and scientific interests and names and contacts of a minimum of two scientific references.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Senior Laboratory Research Scientist In Electron Microscopy , The Francis Crick Institute ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Short summary The EM STP is one of 17 STPs that support science at the Crick. The priority of the team is to collaborate with Crick scientists to prepare, image and analyse their cells, tissues an...
Senior Communications And Engagement Manager , Health Data Research UK ;, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Post: Senior Communications and Engagement Manager for the UK Trusted and Connected Data and Analytics Research Environments Programme (Phase 1: Design and Dialogue). Reporting to: Engagement and ...
Public Engagement Officer (Events And Programmes) , The Francis Crick Institute ;, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
Short summary One of the Francis Crick Institute’s strategic priorities is to engage and inspire the public through its education, public and community engagement programmes, backed by a body of a...
It&S Support Engineer , The Francis Crick Institute ;, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Location: The Francis Crick Institute, Midland Road, London Contract: Permanent/ Full time Salary: Competitive with benefits, subject to skills and experience Short summary This role will report t...
<! Anchor > <! Anchor > Director Of Uk Dementia Research Institute And King’s College London And Van Geest Professor Of Neurodegeneration Research <! Anchor > , King's College London, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Kings College London is seeking an exceptional Neuroscientist (clinical or non-clinical), to be the van Geest Professor of Neurodegeneration Researchand Centre Director in theUnited Kingdom Dement...
Apprenticeship Portfolio Assessor Part Time Hourly Paid , The Francis Crick Institute ;, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Location: The Francis Crick Institute, Midland Road, London Contract: Fixed-term, Full time Salary: From £25,100 Short summary The Administrator will play a key role in supporting the needs of the...