View Vacancy -- Assistant Divisional Administrator - PNAC - Divisional Office - LMB 1595
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 6
£20,234 - £21,321 per annum
Administration & Management
To support the Divisional Administrator and Head of Division in carrying out their responsibilities within the Division at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology.
To assist the Divisional Administrator with all aspects of administrative work within the Division, with the aim of providing efficient and effective administrative services to the Division. This will include having responsibility for specific tasks and processes.
To work collaboratively with administrative teams in the wider LMB and MRC contexts to ensure efficient and effective support to the work of the LMB.
To provide administrative support across routine Human Resources (HR), finance and other processes for the Division, in liaison with other LMB and UK Shared Business Services (UKSBS) teams, specifically:
Human Resources and Finance
• Administer onboarding for new Divisional staff ensuring all processes completed to facilitate the new starter’s smooth entry into the laboratory; assist staff who are leaving to complete exit process and ensure appropriate leaver documentation is processed in a timely fashion.
• Co-ordinate the completion of HR and financial documentation, such as probation reports and non-employee expense claim forms.
• Assist the Divisional Administrator with preparing forms and documentation required for creating and updating HR records eg contracts, extensions, managerial changes
• Provide support and assistance to senior scientific staff, in particular assisting them with travel including booking flights, trains, hotels, taxis and co-ordinating reimbursements for their expenses.
• Be the first point of contact in the PNAC Office for members of the Division, providing them with guidance and information which is timely, appropriate and clearly communicated, including signposting them to other sources of help when applicable.
• Maintaining and updating databases (Filemaker) to ensure records are up-to-date and accurate. Organising files/data in line with GDPR and preparing files for archiving.
• Arrange seminars: co-ordinating accommodation for speakers, circulating seminar information, assisting with speakers’ expense claims, arranging catering. You will also be the divisional point of contact for specific scientific seminar series eg 3Rs, Cambridge Immunology Forum, PNAC Talks.
• Manage booking of Divisional Seminar Room(s).
• Manage shared divisional resources, eg photocopier, laptops, display screen, memory sticks, laser pointer, and provide assistance to PNAC members using these eg setting up presentations on audio-visual equipment; setting up Skype or Zoom for meetings.
• Monitor levels of stationery items and order as appropriate.
• Type general correspondence, letters, abstracts etc.
• Photocopying, scanning and filing as required.
• Distribute information for circulation around the LMB or Division as appropriate via noticeboards, electronic circulation lists, website etc.
• Deal with incoming/outgoing post as appropriate.
• Assist with arrangements for Divisional/LMB events and functions.
• Ensure the smooth running of the Divisional office in the absence of the Divisional Administrator.
• Provide support to other LMB teams as required to ensure efficient and effective support to the work of the LMB.
You are expected to co-ordinate and be responsible for routine office administration within the Division.
You are expected to manage and prioritise your own time and workload with minimal supervision on delegated tasks with appropriate standards of quality and with an emphasis on accuracy, timeliness and attention to detail.
You are required to take decisions within routine procedures and following established guidelines and processes.
Reports to the PNAC Divisional Administrator.
Interacts with all LMB Divisional Administrators and Assistant Divisional Administrators.
Advises and assists members of the division and other divisions across the LMB, and interacts with external people as necessary.
Interacts extensively with other administrative staff in the LMB and with teams at UKSBS.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: 5 GCSEs (or equivalent), including minimum Grade C in Mathematics and English.
Desirable: Educated to A level/BTEC, HND or equivalent.
Previous work experience required:
Essential: Administrative experience in a busy office environment.
Desirable: Administrative experience working in a laboratory or clinical environment.
Knowledge and experience:
• Ability to provide a high standard of administrative services including the use of office equipment and technological solutions
• Proficiency in standard office packages eg Word and Excel; E-mail; online ordering systems
• Ability to solve problems within guidelines; recognises when to seek help.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to deal with staff at all levels.
• Formal Word/ Excel training or IT qualification (i.e. ECDL, CLAIT);
• Experience of using Microsoft Powerpoint, Adobe Creative Suite, databases
• Experience of sharing and developing new ideas to develop more efficient systems
• Ability to take initiative within bounds of post.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Ability to organise and prioritise your own workload
• Proactive, flexible and keen to take on responsibility
• Has high levels of personal integrity and deals with others with tact and discretion.
• Ability to interact with multiple teams in an organised and diligent manner.
Desirable: Ability to work efficiently in an organised way with minimal supervision.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Animal Technician Pnac Biological Services Ares Lmb 1665 , MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Fixed term: 2x 12 months posts and 1x 6 months post Full time: 36 hours per week MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK Would you like to work for one of the world’s leading research i...
Divisional Administrator, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Applications are invited for the post of Divisional Administrator within Division D (Civil, Structural, Construction and Environmental & Sustainable Development) based at the Department's Civil En...
Finance Manager [Internal Applicants Only], University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
The Cambridge Stem Cell Institute and Department of Haematology are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join our team. The CSCI is a world-leading centre for stem cell research...
Group Leader In Stem Cell Science (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Senior Research Associate (£42,149-£53,348) or Principal Research Associate (£61,818-£71,638) depending on skills and experience, plus a start-up package. The Wellcome - MRC Cambridge Stem Cell In...
Electron Microscopy Applications Scientist (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Salary: £26,715-£30,942 Reference: PS27310 Closing date: 26 September 2021 The Wellcome - MRC Cambridge Stem Cell Institute (CSCI) is an international centre of excellence for stem cell research a...
Divisional Administrative Assistant Addenbrooke's , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
The Department of Pathology is seeking to appoint a full time Divisional Administrative Assistant based at our Addenbrooke's site. The role provides general administrative service to the Head of D...