- Coordinate and oversee the animal facilities and ensure quality, efficient and effective services
- Full time, continuing (38 hours per week)
- Base Salary between $99,497 to $107,265 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Operating within a highly regulated environment, the staff of Laboratory Animal Services (LAS) are committed to high animal welfare standards while supporting the University's biomedical research program through efficient delivery of services.
As an Animal Facility Officer, you will oversee the operation of animal facilities and the development and implementation of systems and processes to ensure efficiency and quality of service. You will also have the opportunity to support the design, implementation and operation of a new facility planned for 2025.
Due to the nature of this role, you may be required to work on weekends and holidays to provide expert advice outside of business hours.
Reporting to the Associate Director of LAS, your key responsibilities will be to:
- supervise and support animal care staff to ensure high standards of animal care and an efficient service
- provide support and advice to the Associate Director, LAS
- foreshadow any areas of risk, lack of compliance or breaches in legislation relating to animal research
- coordinate the animal facility ensuring that the research requirements of the work area are met
- develop and modify procedures to ensure an appropriate level of animal welfare and efficiency
- prepare reporting and documentation and a central point for communications regarding facility operations.
- experience in managing and supervising a SPF rodent facility
- ability to manage, mentor and support a small to medium size team of staff
- significant experience in state, federal and local regulatory requirements including NSW Animal Research Act, DPI, AEC, OGTR and WHS
- strong stakeholder management, coupled with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- proficient in routine laboratory animal handling and procedures including basic surgical skills, sample collection and injection techniques
- a commitment to animal welfare and the use of animals in research conducted in accordance with the NSW Animal Research Act.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights forAustralia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People , women , people living with a disability , people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds , and those who identify as LGBTIQ . We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rachel Strong, Recruitment Operations, on 02 8627 7612 or by email to email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 26 September 2022 11:59 PM
Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Print this page Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Job description Are you interested in faci...
Lab Animal Technician Iv (Job Id: 44747), University of Louisville, United States, 3 days ago
Job ID: 44747 Location: undefined Minimum Qualifications High school diploma or GED and five years of laboratory animal experience. LATG Certification as a Laboratory Animal Technologist by the Am...
Animal Technical Assistant Trainee, Medical Research Institute of the Hospital La Fe, Spain, 7 days ago
The selected person will be trained in the position of animal house assistant technician. The selected person will be in charge of the maintenance and care of experimental animals, the application...
Head Of Department Animal Farming Systems, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Are you, as head of department, eager to innovate in a science-based research institute? Do you have views on the role of animals in future food systems, and on the design and evaluation of integr...
University Veterinarian , Umeå University, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest institutions of higher education with over 37,000 students and 4,800 faculty and staff. We are characterised by world-leading research in several scienti...
Laboratory Animal Veterinarian (Part Time), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 23 days ago
Laboratory Animal Veterinarian (part-time) (Valid from 13/10/2022 to 15/12/2022) Language: English (UK) Location Belval Country: Luxembourg Organisation Rectorate data: Job Number: UOL05307 Contra...